Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

*A/ST: TUN - Second Tier cities in North America. RT from $1100 and up.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

*A/ST: TUN - Second Tier cities in North America. RT from $1100 and up.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Coincidentally, there are good business fares SXB-TUN with LH for around 211€
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Also, for those seeking SoCal (LAX/SAN), BA has always had a fare for ALG-LAX/SAN that prices out around $1600 RT. No EU stopovers on these fares though. AA and IB used to have some ex-ALG fares that were in the same range and lucrative not so much for the price but for what other benefits those fares could unlock (F upgrades, routing and stopover glitches). ALG is easy and cheap to get to from Spain and actually probably more fun for a couple of days when you position as compared to TUN. We have considered both, ALG seems like a fun tourist destination (roman ruins, etc) but TUN did not seem at the same level and looked more like a quick turn.

Edited to add: Looks like some ST ex-ALG fares to the US that parallel those from TUN, although not quite as low (mostly $1600ish RT)
kyushuman likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by stephem
Also, for those seeking SoCal (LAX/SAN), BA has always had a fare for ALG-LAX/SAN that prices out around $1600 RT. No EU stopovers on these fares though. AA and IB used to have some ex-ALG fares that were in the same range and lucrative not so much for the price but for what other benefits those fares could unlock (F upgrades, routing and stopover glitches). ALG is easy and cheap to get to from Spain and actually probably more fun for a couple of days when you position as compared to TUN. We have considered both, ALG seems like a fun tourist destination (roman ruins, etc) but TUN did not seem at the same level and looked more like a quick turn.

Edited to add: Looks like some ST ex-ALG fares to the US that parallel those from TUN, although not quite as low (mostly $1600ish RT)

Don't forget the visa for Algeria that most of us need. I agree it's very appealing as a destination but I never had the chance to go there thanks to their anti-foreign-tourism policy.

TUN is visa free for most of us.
Hafnia, palmanfr and MeltingAlf like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by Deckter
Coincidentally, there are good business fares SXB-TUN with LH for around 211€
I can't find this. Also, is this O/W or RT?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: M&M Senator, BAEC GGL, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by p106_peppy
Fyi taking a one way fare from Europe (or wherever) to Tunisia, even if its clearly to just to save on a long haul business class flight, is likely to put you on a bunch of watchlists.
if that would be true you would do this with a large population as for Europeans Tunisia is a great holiday destination
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog
I can't find this. Also, is this O/W or RT?
RT, on LH website or app
Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
RT, on LH website or app
can you post an example, please? 211 r/t in business? Are you sure?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maverikbc
I browsed UA site for revenue fares, searched YVR-GEG. Strangely, there's no availability till 9/8, and sporadic dates after that. The 9/8 flights are AC, UA combo via SEA.
UA hasn't flown SEA-GEG regularly in a decade or so. What you're seeing are extra segments being added into the schedule to support UA's extra college football flights this year. There's a nonstop GEG-MSN flight on September 9, for Washington State University fans traveling to their game at the University of Wisconsin. You just found the positioning flight.

Unless these particular dates work, for travel from YVR to GEG, you really want to consider AS, even though they're OneWorld.
redadeco and maverikbc like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
can you post an example, please? 211 r/t in business? Are you sure?
Sure:

pdxerinsaarland likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
ALG is easy and cheap to get to from Spain
Algeria is anything but easy to get to - for most of us it is not visa free, and we re talking serious visas, not stamps in your passport on arrival.

….and actually probably more fun for a couple of days when you position as compared to TUN. We have considered both, ALG seems like a fun tourist destination (roman ruins, etc) but TUN did not seem at the same level and looked more like a quick turn.
I'm not knocking Algeria in anyway, but it's not the easiest place to get the most out of as a casual tourist. It's two Maghreb neighbours, Morocco and Tunisia, both offer very significantly higher levels of tourism infrastructure.

As well as golf courses, beaches, resort islands and music festivals, Tunisia has a number of impressive historical sites.

Carthage is a suburb of Tunis. The archaeological site there is recognised by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. The medina of Tunis has the same status. UNESCO regards Dougga as the best preserved Roman town in Africa, and EL Jem has one of the largest Roman amphitheatres in the world: both are (you guessed!) World Heritage Sites.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:07 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by honzeek_cz
Have come across fare that is similar to previous AMS to US fare that somehow prices secondary cities way more attractive than hubs (like Waco, Baton Rouge etc), now other places.

TUN-GEG with ST (fare basis ZS04TBJB, MPM based)
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...8qJPSR64iKuQW6

TUN-EGE with *A (fare basis PNCS7V)
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...BW233MGzsUzHp7

Cant list all the options (for those who like resarching options ), but one ways for less and Stop Over allowed, creating opportunties for either free positioning flight to North Africa or quict positioning round trip to enjoy the trip later.

This one definitely for those who like to play with the routings
I wouldn't call YYZ a second tier city. We have the dubious distinction of having the worst delayed airport in the world.
palmanfr likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Nice find, kinda tempting.

You can get TUN-YYZ for USD1,100 on AF. I wouldn't call YYZ a 2nd tier city

TUN-BOS/JFK/IAD are also around USD1,200 to 1,377 range.
Originally Posted by Dave510
I wouldn't call YYZ a second tier city. We have the dubious distinction of having the worst delayed airport in the world.
Changing my nick to barney_stinson_21

I don't look for that other Buffalo airport but look for exotic destinations like Yellowknife (and ANC/FAI for that matter)...
Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Dave510
Flying through YYZ on Sunday back to VIE so perhaps it will pay me back
Old Aug 6, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Sure:
ah, o.k., that was my mistake. I was using SXB and I needed to use XER to get that fare!
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
Travelled on this fare four years ago. Came in from Barcelona with cabin bag only and had arranged for a LH rep to bring boarding pass to transit security check, which discharges directly into the departure hall. (Olci wasn't possible). Hence no immigration was necessary. Had to wait for 20 mins for security guard to arrive and open the checkpoint for me, his sole customer. From this and a few raised eyebrows I concluded that very few people use the transfer facility. Lounge was pitiful in food offering ( strictly biscuits only) and atmosphere but did the trick for the two hours I had to kill. Just don't arrive hungry

Last edited by planestupid; Aug 9, 2022 at 8:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.