Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AV: MIA - GIG/GRU/SCL J from $1130

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R

I believe those fares have been around for a while but worth mentioning. A fares. Sampled dates April 4 - 16, 2022.

MIA - SCL from $1130
MIA - GIG from $1136
MIA - GRU from $1177

It's easier to spot those fares using Google. OTAs may offer lower fares but not much.

Caveats: As usual, monitor the COVID-19 entry restrictions (including coming back to US) and any segments may be switched to narrowbodies at any moment (currently AV operates all flights to deep SA with A320s).
jfkeze, z4017 and Maple Red like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:00 am

When flights are described as intercontinental business class, most travelers would assume certain minimal standards for service and comfort. Avianca will fall far short of them. It's very misleading to present these fares as "Business Class", and they're definitely not "Deals".
Old Dec 13, 2021, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MaxVO
When flights are described as intercontinental business class, most travelers would assume certain minimal standards for service and comfort. Avianca will fall far short of them. It's very misleading to present these fares as "Business Class", and they're definitely not "Deals".
They are business class. Just because AV doesn't offer an even mediocre business class, doesn't mean it's not business. Like saying that because UA doesn't offer Qatar like business class, that UA doesn't have business class. Travel between N and S America in business can varying widely. This is no different than travel from east coast to HI can vary depending on if going directly from East coast/Central US hub or connecting via LAX/SFO/SEA instead.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
They are business class. Just because AV doesn't offer an even mediocre business class, doesn't mean it's not business. Like saying that because UA doesn't offer Qatar like business class, that UA doesn't have business class. Travel between N and S America in business can varying widely. This is no different than travel from east coast to HI can vary depending on if going directly from East coast/Central US hub or connecting via LAX/SFO/SEA instead.

Just a heads up, Avianca per OMAAT is changing their business model on the Airbus 320s. They will reconfigure towards a more Euro-Business seats which is rough for considering they have deep South America flights which are rough in a US Business Class recliner seat and now worse in a Euro-Business.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Also want to point out that AV A330s are angle flats. The 787s seats are pretty good if you can get them.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:44 pm

I had a chance to try the AV 787 Business Class about 4 yrs ago on their Flagship route BOG-MAD. Indeed the seats had the expected comfort. Nothing else was close to acceptable -- rude FA's, inedible "food", bathrooms without toiletries, and never cleaned even once. By the end of the flight, the entire J-cabin stank like a latrine. Perhaps poor ventilation as well.
I guess one could easily survive a 2-hr flight on AV, but longer flights are risky and no bargain at those fares.
jfkeze, vincewy and BCNforever like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Avianca on a good day is a subpar US3 experience on average they make the laziest US3 FA seem like the SQ or CX FA of the year...

I flew them on their 787 from BOG-LIM , they would even ignore the call button and I'm a native Spanish speaker...
MaxVO, reggiekush and BCNforever like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Also want to point out that AV A330s are angle flats. The 787s seats are pretty good if you can get them.
And that seams to be a big if even pre pandemic as I believe BOG-LAX was the most consistent route getting the 787. Those all now seem to be relegated to Europe and the occasional BOG-MEX ( maybe since AM runs the 787 on that route ) for the time being.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
And that seams to be a big if even pre pandemic as I believe BOG-LAX was the most consistent route getting the 787. Those all now seem to be relegated to Europe and the occasional BOG-MEX ( maybe since AM runs the 787 on that route ) for the time being.
Yup, flew AV LAX-BOG rt a couple times precovid. When checking the schedule it was pretty much 100% operating with a 787.

With the condition AV is in financially, I can't imagine service will improve anytime soon.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
This is the reason I attached a big caveat toward the end. All replies have valid points. I just checked all their main routes, JFK, MIA, EZE, GRU, GIG, SCL, and LAX. So far only LAX is getting A330 and the rest are all narrow bodies, not to mention they'll soon be premium seats (sarcasm), so don't count on getting on 787 and A330 even if it says so.

My choice of going to South America now has becomes this, LA>AM>>>>>>>AV (race to the bottom).
BCNforever likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Executive Club Gold, Miles & Bonus Gold, Alaska Mileage Plan, Aeroplan, LifeMiles
I'd stay away from those.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 7:32 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Wow ...my AV 787 experience a few years ago was just fine. My only disappointment was that the BOG lounge was pretty mediocre.

Just have to watch the flights as they operate quite a few overnight flights with regular (non-bed) narrowbodies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.