Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AF: JFK to JNB from $2697 and earn 7236 MQDs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2021, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold

Nice sale with Air France from New York to Johannesburg, South Africa in Z Class. We are using sample dates in March 2022, where we hope that things are somewhat back to normal (border wise).

JFK-JNB would earn 27135 MQMs 7236 MQDs 2.68 MQD Ratio while Delta Diamond members would obtain 57888 RDMs, Platinum 50652 RDMs, Gold 47034 RDMs, Silver 43416 RDMs, Base 36180 RDMs

Fare basis code: ZN1X06D6
Advance purchase: No restrictions
Maximum stay: A maximum stay of 12 month(s) applies.
Minimum stay: A minimum stay applies. A Sunday should be included in the stay.

Book Flights Here!

The following link is a blog/website/social media page in which I have a financial interest. If you click on this link, cookies will be added to your device for an extended period of time and I may gain monetary returns if you follow this link or any other link on the blog/website/social media page. Source: My site PremiumCabin.Deals

Last edited by jfkeze; Oct 23, 2021 at 1:47 pm
Old Oct 21, 2021, 3:39 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
I would avoid AF22 as it is breakfast service only.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747jetter
I would avoid AF22 as it is breakfast service only.
Thanks! Did not know that detail... I guess I just picked the shortest layovers...

Which would be the ideal CDG-JFK flight?
Old Oct 21, 2021, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jfkeze
Thanks! Did not know that detail... I guess I just picked the shortest layovers...

Which would be the ideal CDG-JFK flight?
It'll either be a bigger breakfast to start and light snack/meal or lite breakfast and lunch before landing.

You'll get as much as food as otherwise.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 12:05 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Ooh someone holler if a OneWorld airline matches this price (especially if LAX)
Old Oct 22, 2021, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It'll either be a bigger breakfast to start and light snack/meal or lite breakfast and lunch before landing.

You'll get as much as food as otherwise.
I beg to differ. There will be a breakfast service and light meal before landing. So any other AF flight would serve lunch + light meal before landing. Lunch is always better idea on a plane than breakfast.

As for the shortest connections I get the routing but I would always appreciate time for shower after long haul, even more before another one, get nice breakfast in the lounge and then enjoy better meal service on a plane.
Rim1 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 747jetter
I beg to differ. There will be a breakfast service and light meal before landing. So any other AF flight would serve lunch + light meal before landing. Lunch is always better idea on a plane than breakfast.

As for the shortest connections I get the routing but I would always appreciate time for shower after long haul, even more before another one, get nice breakfast in the lounge and then enjoy better meal service on a plane.
I've had both way on this type flight. Either a Main meal breakfast (but bigger than a normal breakfast before landing) and light snack/meal before landing. Else they do a normal prelanding breakfast 1st and full lunch before landing.

However you get fed close to the same amount.

VS when operates morning JFK-LHR also does something like I describe.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 5:18 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
DL Diamond RDM earning

Nice sale with Air France from New York to Johannesburg, South Africa in Z Class. We are using sample dates in March 2022, where we hope that things are somewhat back to normal (border wise).

JFK-JNB would earn 27135 MQMs 7236 MQDs 2.68 MQD Ratio while Delta Diamond members would obtain 79596 (75000 Cap) RDMs, Platinum 65124 RDMs, Gold 57888 RDMs, Silver 50652 RDMs, Base 36180 RDMs
I believe DL Diamond earns 320% (100% + 100% + 120%) on this, so I think you RDM value is too high. I didnt check the other status levels.
PanAmSam likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
I believe DL Diamond earns 320% (100% + 100% + 120%) on this, so I think you RDM value is too high. I didnt check the other status levels.

that's how I do the calculation, always open to checking the numbers...
Base RDMs which are 200% of distance and then 120% as a bonus of the base I understand not the distance.
Always willing to recognize if there is any data...
Old Oct 23, 2021, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Down to $2,453 using Amex IAP with JFK-CDG legs on DL metal (and DL codeshare on JNB legs, so RDM/MQD impacted). Has slightly shorter layover on outbound and slightly longer on return.

or a few dollars more can do same flights AF marketed in outbound and DL-marketed on return. Can’t seem to price all-AF, but that’s Amex website for you…
Old Oct 23, 2021, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here was the menu from the ~8am CDG-JFK in Nov-18. It was on the disappointing side, but I find AF catering is often a bit odd, particularly for an American palate. Perhaps the bigger issue was that this was my 3rd breakfast in a row coming in on HKG-JFK, then at the lounge, and then this - would be the same from JNB..

Old Oct 23, 2021, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Here was the menu from the ~8am CDG-JFK in Nov-18. It was on the disappointing side, but I find AF catering is often a bit odd, particularly for an American palate. Perhaps the bigger issue was that this was my 3rd breakfast in a row coming in on HKG-JFK, then at the lounge, and then this - would be the same from JNB..

Having flown JNB-CDG-JFK/LAX/IAH RT multiple times in I know JNB-CDG/CDG-JNB is normal dinner/prelanding meal service. (Both are night flights)

As for JFK-CDG morning, last time I flew was just before CV19. It wasn't as great as later day flights, but you otherwise got nearly same amount of food.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

that's how I do the calculation, always open to checking the numbers...
Base RDMs which are 200% of distance and then 120% as a bonus of the base I understand not the distance.
Always willing to recognize if there is any data...
DM would earn 57,888 RDM. 18090 (base) + ( 18090 (fare class bonus) + 21708 (DM Bonus of 120% base)

You're accidentally including the fare class bonus in the base calculations for elite bonus.
PanAmSam, jfkeze and aeroman380 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 1:21 pm

I would rather eat worse lunch than same amount of cheap plane breakfast but that was my point from my first post in this thread. My advice again, avoid that flight, get shower, brekkie in the lounge and fly with lunch towards NYC.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
DM would earn 57,888 RDM. 18090 (base) + ( 18090 (fare class bonus) + 21708 (DM Bonus of 120% base)

You're accidentally including the fare class bonus in the base calculations for elite bonus.
Dooh!!!

JFK-JNB would earn 27135 MQMs 7236 MQDs 2.68 MQD Ratio while Delta Diamond members would obtain 57888 RDMs, Platinum 50652 RDMs, Gold 47034 RDMs, Silver 43416 RDMs, Base 36180 RDMs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.