Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

ATL LHR $2377 VS Upper class September

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2021, 11:07 am
Original Poster

I have no idea if this is a good deal or not but it seems that way to me. Upper class on Virgin Atlantic for around 2300 round-trip. Can also be booked on delta.com. I see it for lots of dates over Labor Day weekend. I haven’t done much other research

Crossing my fingers that I can actually fly into London I know I won’t be staying there so I’m hoping that I can just Connect to Air France on to where I want to go.
Old May 8, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion& 2 Million Miler; Marriott Titanium Lifetime
it's not a bad deal. Not amazing, but worth noting.

Tough to find anything in biz sub-$2.5K from ATL to europe.

BTW - Delta now matching it.

Which you think is better? Delta ONE or VA Upper Class? I DO like the Clubhouse in London....
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 8, 2021, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ATLConsultant

Which you think is better? Delta ONE or VA Upper Class? I DO like the Clubhouse in London....
Delta doesn't have a lounge in LHR, if you are flying in a premium cabin on Delta you do have access to both the clubhouse on departure and the Virgin arrival lounge upon landing (currently the arrival lounge is closed but hopefully it reopens this summer if international travevl takes off). I like to sleep through the breakfast service and just shower and change and eat breakfast at the arrivals lounge upon landing.

I've flown in D1 many times to LHR from DTW and MSP. I'd like to try it on Virgin metal.
Old May 8, 2021, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

I generally like Virgin better but I have not been on some of the newer DL setups.

for the dates I want looks like Virgin is really my only option. Since this is a lot better than other fares I’ve seen I grabbed it. Hopefully I don’t wind up with $2K in delta credits
Old May 8, 2021, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
While this might not meet the traditional definition, this is an amazing business class fare EX ATL. It's available on Delta metal as well thru end of schedule
Old May 8, 2021, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

I’m actually quite excited, I don’t think I’ve ever found a good deal to post on here for premium fares. LOL
Old May 8, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by ryandc99
While this might not meet the traditional definition, this is an amazing business class fare EX ATL. It's available on Delta metal as well thru end of schedule
also, even on DL metal you can get a VS codeshare that dramatically increases RDMs and MQDs...
ryandc99 likes this.
Old May 8, 2021, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
It really depends on the aircraft being used. VS's best seats (35K) are better than DL's best (359), Delta's worst seats (763) are worse than VS's worst seats (everything else in the fleet). Service on board the aircraft is generally going to be better all around on VS than it will be on DL. Also, the Clubhouse at LHR (if it ever reopens) is a few standard deviations better than the best thing DL has to offer.
Old May 8, 2021, 1:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K

Looks like you'd be on a DL A330 or VS A350, which has their newest Upper Class product – so definitely Virgin!

And yes, definitely a good deal ex-ATL – btw BA/AA are now matching as well.
Old May 8, 2021, 1:27 pm

During COVID, there are some differences.

1. Virgin is serving champagne before take off and Delta is not (bottled water only).

2. Virgin is only serving a main with cheese, bread, and dessert. Also food served in paper tray (the main). Delta is serving small salad, soup, and main, with dessert. Delta's comes on china.

3. Bar is currently closed on Virgin but not the wonderwall.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old May 8, 2021, 1:29 pm

looks like T3 Clubhouse is re-opening on 5/17
ryandc99 and cmd320 like this.
Old May 8, 2021, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by cmd320
It really depends on the aircraft being used. VS's best seats (35K) are better than DL's best (359), Delta's worst seats (763) are worse than VS's worst seats (everything else in the fleet). Service on board the aircraft is generally going to be better all around on VS than it will be on DL. Also, the Clubhouse at LHR (if it ever reopens) is a few standard deviations better than the best thing DL has to offer.
But if flying Delta One you get the same access to the LHR Clubhouse as when flying Virgin Upper Class; in ATL Virgin and Delta also use the same SkyClub; so lounge access would seem to be a wash.
Old May 8, 2021, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
But if flying Delta One you get the same access to the LHR Clubhouse as when flying Virgin Upper Class; in ATL Virgin and Delta also use the same SkyClub; so lounge access would seem to be a wash.
Correct assuming DL and VS are both operating out of T3 at that point. I believe everything is in T2 right now other than BA right? I'm assuming if VS is in fact opening the Clubhouse on 5/17, their flights will be operating out of T3 by then, but DL may not move back as quickly.
Old May 8, 2021, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by cmd320
Correct assuming DL and VS are both operating out of T3 at that point. I believe everything is in T2 right now other than BA right? I'm assuming if VS is in fact opening the Clubhouse on 5/17, their flights will be operating out of T3 by then, but DL may not move back as quickly.
I'm not seeing the OP's deal until July so hopefully DL will be back in T3 by then especially since VS is moving back shortly.
Old May 8, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by jfkeze
also, even on DL metal you can get a VS codeshare that dramatically increases RDMs and MQDs...
with the current status multiplier from Delta and the distances involved, I believe you come out ahead on using Delta flight numbers and Delta metal. Interested users should check my math themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.