Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-DFW First $198-235 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2020, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Same day, or one-night is required.

Lots of dates for the rest of the month, and through January. Many of the routings include 787-9, though it seems like you can only book a nonstop, or the 787, in one direction. i.e. If you take it on the outbound, you'll have a 2 segment return, mostly through LAS. In some cases it may be possible to SDC and fly the 787 both directions.

Some routings have an opportunity to build in an overnight in LAS.

One example, on Google Flights

Last edited by Presguy; Dec 13, 2020 at 2:53 pm
Old Dec 13, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Changing from one stop to nonstop is technically against AA SDC rules, but YMMV and I would not rely on this
Old Dec 13, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
This is a LAX-LAS fare rather than a LAX-DFW fare.
DFW is just the connecting city here.

Same flights as shown in the original post: Screenshot from ITA Matrix.

Old Dec 13, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
For those collecting BA Tier Points that's 120 TPs for the 3 segments, not as cheap as the SJC-LAX hops but the 787 makes it a smoother ride...
Brainless69 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by jfkeze
For those collecting BA Tier Points that's 120 TPs for the 3 segments, not as cheap as the SJC-LAX hops but the 787 makes it a smoother ride...
You could still fly a 787 on a SJC-LAX TP run on the DFW-LAX leg if you prefer to do a routing like SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX or vice-versa.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
This is a LAX-LAS fare rather than a LAX-DFW fare.
DFW is just the connecting city here.

Same flights as shown in the original post: Screenshot from ITA Matrix.
Interesting.. looks like you can also price LAX-LAS around $110, in AA First, with stop in DFW, and one segment on the 787. (And the reverse, LAS-LAX).
Old Dec 13, 2020, 8:06 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
AA has relaxed the routing rules on some short-haul hops, perhaps due to the inconvenience of reduced schedules vs pre-COVID.

The pusblished routing that previously required nonstop travel or travel via PHX currently permits DFW as a connecting city as well.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
And if you just can't get enough of Oasis...

thanaset, 15cats, jfkeze and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 1:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by SFO777
And if you just can't get enough of Oasis...

And the experience on the LAA A321 with IFE on that last leg will be a cruel reminder about how nice the seats in those earlier segments could have been had AA not gone with such a subpar configuration.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Not the right place for my post, but I haven't been able to find it. I am gold, and live at LAX, and love visiting Vegas. What would be the purpose of the above trip? I only recently have run into both free time and a little spending money... I need to learn how mileage runs work ever since EQDs became a thing on airlines. Is it because you will earn 3x the EQM for cheap? or 3x the segments?

As a newbie idiot, I have never been short on EQMs or segments, but always a million bucks short of any EQD requirements. Someone link me to the flame free thread which I've yet to find for how Mileage Runs work in 2020 and beyond (and probably since 2010-2015ish) ?
Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2020, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Not the right place for my post, but I haven't been able to find it. I am gold, and live at LAX, and love visiting Vegas. What would be the purpose of the above trip? I only recently have run into both free time and a little spending money... I need to learn how mileage runs work ever since EQDs became a thing on airlines. Is it because you will earn 3x the EQM for cheap? or 3x the segments?
As a newbie idiot, I have never been short on EQMs or segments, but always a million bucks short of any EQD requirements. Someone link me to the flame free thread which I've yet to find for how Mileage Runs work in 2020 and beyond (and probably since 2010-2015ish) ?
Thanks!
This is a Tier Point run for BA Executive Club members. Each short-haul J segment (under 2.000 miles) earns 40 Tier Points (TPs). There is no EQD requirement with BA and 1,125 TPs will get you BA Gold and One World Emerald Status. Silver (OW Sapphire) is only 450 TPs and even that gets you AC/FL access when flying AA. The only wrinkle is that you need 4 BA segments.
ISTFlyer and Carolina2Cali like this.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 14, 2020 at 12:21 pm
Old Dec 14, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Thanks SFO777 - Makes me wonder why I flew AA so much this year (for me, peanuts for others) - should I have been signing up as BA instead and applying BA points?
I suppose the only way to gain BA segments is to leave the country and fly to the UK though, eh?
I was too young back in the day to do the olden day version of mileage runs, I know I'd be obsessed with them now if there weren't EQDs. Are there other good ones like BA without EQD Americans should know about? Currently flying to Tokyo in summer and maybe Mexico or Rio/Macae in February to chase a Hyatt promo =P
Old Dec 14, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks SFO777 - Makes me wonder why I flew AA so much this year (for me, peanuts for others) - should I have been signing up as BA instead and applying BA points?
I suppose the only way to gain BA segments is to leave the country and fly to the UK though, eh?
I was too young back in the day to do the olden day version of mileage runs, I know I'd be obsessed with them now if there weren't EQDs. Are there other good ones like BA without EQD Americans should know about? Currently flying to Tokyo in summer and maybe Mexico or Rio/Macae in February to chase a Hyatt promo =P
Yes, you have to fly to or be in Europe to get those 4 BA segments (AA codeshares on BA metal, or v.v also work). Once there, you can easily do 4 segments in a day and it can be any cheap fare. I was AA/EXP for 10 years, also UA/1K and DL/Diamond for a time. Dumped all of them once they went to EQDs since I would never spend anywhere near what the US3 wanted with the US3. Now I only credit domestic flying to non-US programs, where there is no spend requirement. This strategy is not for everyone as you won't get upgrades as you would with US3 status. But if you only buy domestic First/Business tickets, then it works really well.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
This strategy is not for everyone as you won't get upgrades as you would with US3 status. But if you only buy domestic First/Business tickets, then it works really well.
Ah, so if I become top tier at British Airways but fly AA within the USA, there's zero chance of getting upgraded, eh? Unless maybe now that I am gold, I immediately switch everything to BA, and at least there's a chance, even if I am low on the totem pole.

Alternatively, do you know if there's a definitive guide to modern day mileage runs with the implementation of EQDs, anywhere, or one you prefer?
Old Dec 14, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Ah, so if I become top tier at British Airways but fly AA within the USA, there's zero chance of getting upgraded, eh? Unless maybe now that I am gold, I immediately switch everything to BA, and at least there's a chance, even if I am low on the totem pole.

Alternatively, do you know if there's a definitive guide to modern day mileage runs with the implementation of EQDs, anywhere, or one you prefer?
If you want to rank up spend look at Premium Economy fares on BA or Iberia, they credit "spend" as a % of distance. For instance there are lots of cities in Europe for under $1100 with BA in Premium Economy, just on the LAX-LHR segments... 10912 RDMs credit at 100% - 16368 EQMs credit at 150% - EQDs credit at 20% 2182. Feel free to PM any questions...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.