Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

TP Business: MAD/BCN - GRU from €1,075 rt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 9:08 am
Original Poster

TAP Air business class in their A330-900 NEO ex Madrid/Barcelona to Sao Paulo starting at €1,075 roundtrip.

Book on/before 20 May

Travel dates till 17 December

Free stopovers available in Lisbon and Porto.

Flight examples

Madrid – Sao Paulo from €1,075

Google flights | Skyscanner

Barcelona – Sao Paulo from €1,084

Google flights | Skyscanner

The following link is a blog/website/social media page in which I have a financial interest. If you click on this link, cookies will be added to your device for an extended period of time and I may gain monetary returns if you follow this link or any other link on the blog/website/social media page.

Source: Business Class to South America from €1,075 roundtrip
Old May 1, 2020, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Probably best to think twice about South America this year, unless it's essential travel. Most SA countries are somewhat later in the development of the COVID cycle, and Brasil in particular has been slow to respond in a coherent and rational manner. Argentina has banned all scheduled commercial flights until at least September: that could change for the better ...... or for the worse.

If you are in Spain and it's essential you get to Brasil, then this is a great Business-class fare. The caveat is that it's with one of Europe's weaker flag carriers, one that seems always to have been teetering on the edge of insolvency. Its minority-share owner (45%) was anxious to sell out, and Lufthansa was sniffing around (again) until the true horrors of the impact of COVID on aviation and travel hit home.

Now Lufhansa itself is facing state intervention or some form of protection from creditors, so you've got to wonder what's going to happen to the likes of TAP, and the will of the Portuguese state to support it in its current form.
Old May 1, 2020, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Probably best to think twice about South America this year, unless it's essential travel. Most SA countries are somewhat later in the development of the COVID cycle, and Brasil in particular has been slow to respond in a coherent and rational manner. Argentina has banned all scheduled commercial flights until at least September: that could change for the better ...... or for the worse.

If you are in Spain and it's essential you get to Brasil, then this is a great Business-class fare. The caveat is that it's with one of Europe's weaker flag carriers, one that seems always to have been teetering on the edge of insolvency. Its minority-share owner (45%) was anxious to sell out, and Lufthansa was sniffing around (again) until the true horrors of the impact of COVID on aviation and travel hit home.

Now Lufhansa itself is facing state intervention or some form of protection from creditors, so you've got to wonder what's going to happen to the likes of TAP, and the will of the Portuguese state to support it in its current form.
Thanks - this is some good info! With these fares there is a reasonable amount of risk..
Here is TAPs cancellation policy regarding Covid
raporot likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyingfares
Thanks - this is some good info! With these fares there is a reasonable amount of risk..
Here is TAPs cancellation policy regarding Covid
Well, yes, and those condition, hedged with booking dates, cancellation dares and travel dates, are the concern. Even where the flight is cancelled by TAP, it's not entirely clear how, when and if you get cash as a refund. If you opt for the voucher-as-refund then they'll give you a 20% "interest rate" for the risk you are taking in making an unsecured loan to them.

That risk is of course that the airline goes belly-up or the route network it offers post-COVID offers you nothing of interest at a fare you are willing to pay.

Particularly relevant for these "special" fares is that you must pay any fare difference for re-booking: post-COVID this is likely to be way higher than the voucher value.

There are some illuminating threads covering this in the TAP forum.
Old May 2, 2020, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yes, these fares feel an awful lot like a coin flip. Heads gets you a cheap-ish J fare to Brasil. (but not ridiculously so, considering the standard TATL J fares on TAP) Tails and the flight is cancelled and you have a very hard time getting your money back.

But ultimately fares are still going to be quite low when/if things open up later in the year. I'd much rather book a sure thing for at worst a couple hundred euros more...
writetorich likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 6:28 pm

Someone thats knows the cancellation policy?
Old May 3, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Fli1
Someone thats knows the cancellation policy?
Spoiler

Old May 4, 2020, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NextWhiteDeath
Spoiler

But worth noting that the cancelation charge applies separately to both outward and return journeys.

At least it did in my case some months back. That was a relief after a TAP agent said it applied to each sector (there were four ).
Old May 4, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But worth noting that the cancelation charge applies separately to both outward and return journeys.

At least it did in my case some months back. That was a relief after a TAP agent said it applied to each sector (there were four ).
Yeah forgot to mention it. That is why I rarely buy TAP tickets. If I do then when I'm sure ill be flying it or it is one way. The change and cancellation charges are very high.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.