FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Premium Fare Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/)
-   -   Skyteam- decent mixed cabin (PE/J) fares from MIA-Europe (~$1,600) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/2002682-skyteam-decent-mixed-cabin-pe-j-fares-mia-europe-1-600-a.html)

uclabadger Jan 4, 2020 1:30 pm

Skyteam- decent mixed cabin (PE/J) fares from US-Europe (~$1,600)

Seeing some pretty good fares out of scattered US locations to Europe if you are okay with mixed cabins (Premium Economy going east, Business coming back West). Example I see is MIA-VIE from April 1-7 for $1,650. Earns over 16,000 MQM's (can be more depending on the routing you choose). Dates looks pretty open, as well as destinations.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b59f7fb373.png

ryandc99 Jan 4, 2020 2:00 pm

What other destinations are you seeing?

uclabadger Jan 4, 2020 2:56 pm

Looks like quite a few options. Best way to look is use Google Flights to look for cheap Premium Economy routes, and use that as a basis. Another one I just found is Minneapolis to Frankfurt (but returning to Chicago (can connect back through MSP, though, and throw away last MSP-ORD leg)) for $1,675 from March 30-April 7.

ryandc99 Jan 4, 2020 3:29 pm

Pretty wide availability thru March/April/May. Back in Aug/Sept/Oct and Nov.

Msafiritx Jan 4, 2020 7:46 pm

Is this a better deal than just going all J for $350 more?

uclabadger Jan 4, 2020 8:27 pm

If you can find routes that are $350 more for all-business, I would do that. This helps more in situations where the same route in all-business is closer to ~$3,500. I would do the mixed itinerary in that case.

Anh5oi Jan 4, 2020 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Msafiritx (Post 31909896)
Is this a better deal than just going all J for $350 more?

are you able to see this in J for $2000?

747jetter Jan 4, 2020 9:19 pm

I only see 1300USD for Y+ in March when I need to travel. Adding J to fly back to the US makes the price insane. And LH, AA/IB/BA for the same price...ideally need to travel 12/3 - 19/3 (20/3)...can anyone tell me I am blind? :)

747jetter Jan 4, 2020 9:47 pm

I could only make in March PRG for 2,5k, BUD 2,8k and WAW 2,9k...

EDIT:
TXL 2,7k in March
CDG direct on eastbound and one stop on westbound 2,3k
AMS direct on westbound 2,4

Lomapaseo Jan 4, 2020 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by uclabadger (Post 31908916)
Seeing some pretty good fares out of scattered US locations to Europe if you are okay with mixed cabins (Premium Economy going east, Business coming back West). Example I see is MIA-VIE from April 1-7 for $1,650. Earns over 16,000 MQM's (can be more depending on the routing you choose). Dates looks pretty open, as well as destinations.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b59f7fb373.png

What kind of fare basis is used? could it be that the actual seating does not match what Delta calls prem economy and business. I am always quite leery of any booking that says Mixed Experience

uclabadger Jan 4, 2020 11:15 pm

In that example, it's G (AF) or W (DL) on the outbound based on the routing you choose and Z return.

747jetter Jan 4, 2020 11:51 pm

Starting in JFK or BOS going to PRG you can get AMS-DTW on DL A359 for 2,5k

stephem Jan 5, 2020 12:13 am

Nothing much to see here, generally any time there is a $2k or sub $2k biz return fare available you can get this kind of mixed fare pricing, unless combination rules for the fare don’t permit mixing classes on outbound and return. Given the small savings from $2k for all biz and the significantly better product you get for all biz, I dont understand why this is seen as a good deal. Especially if you have a Platinum AMEX and IAP can shave 10% off of BA/AARP/Chase.

uclabadger Jan 5, 2020 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by stephem (Post 31910378)
Nothing much to see here, generally any time there is a $2k or sub $2k biz return fare available you can get this kind of mixed fare pricing, unless combination rules for the fare don’t permit mixing classes on outbound and return. Given the small savings from $2k for all biz and the significantly better product you get for all biz, I dont understand why this is seen as a good deal. Especially if you have a Platinum AMEX and IAP can shave 10% off of BA/AARP/Chase.

Sure, this makes sense on routes when you actually see a sub-$2k fare for all-biz; then it's a no brainer. But when do you ever see a Skyteam all-biz fare out of MSP for under $2k? For me, that answer is never.

MSPeconomist Jan 8, 2020 3:44 am

Originally Posted by 747jetter (Post 31910076)
I only see 1300USD for Y+ in March when I need to travel. Adding J to fly back to the US makes the price insane. And LH, AA/IB/BA for the same price...ideally need to travel 12/3 - 19/3 (20/3)...can anyone tell me I am blind? :)

Be careful about terms. Y+ or C+ = Comfort Plus on DL just means a regular coach seat with a couple inches more legroom and maybe some free drinks. Genuine premium economy or PS = Premium Select on DL is very different with different seats, fewer seats across, better service, an amenity kit, better meals, free or better drinks, etc.

Note that PS fares generally book into coach or C+ on domestic connecting flights.