Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AF: Multiple US Cities-BOM from $1,650 USD rt in Business [Package Deal]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF: Multiple US Cities-BOM from $1,650 USD rt in Business [Package Deal]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
We don't use that word around these parts.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn
Could that a be an error-fare?
No. You cannot get it without accomodation
Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K/MillionMiler; Delta Diamond; AA Plat; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ft543
Can't find anything out of SEA/SFO/LAX. LAS looks like the closest one.
Booked this LAS-BOM on Delta outbound and Virgin return via Expedia, at $2,000 during spring break. Shows up instantly in Delta account as an IT fare paid and booking class Z, all segments. IT is the designation for an exception fare.

As a Delta exception fare ticket, MQD is calculated as 20% of the RDMs earned...not 20% of miles flown. That's $6,092 in EQDs, pretty good for a $2,000 ticket.

Unless the Medallion bonus on RDMs stacks to the calculation. As a Diamond, my RDMs go up to 36,552. Does that bump the EQDs to $7,310? Delta's exception fare FAQ seems to suggest that's how it is calculated.
nickohrn likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion& 2 Million Miler; Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I used this expedia bundled fare to get SkyTeam out of Atlanta to Mumbai in August for $2085 R/T. I had Delta on both legs across the Atlantic too! AirFrance to/from Bombay. Not fond of that aircraft (former Joon) as there is zero privacy between seats and you actually rub elbows with your seat partner....don't recommend. The KLM 787 is much much better in terms of hard product on that route if you can get. Or VA. And while AF almost always has great service in Business, their food is disastrous. Food on this flight was gross but it was a 2:00 am flight so food wasn't a priority. Luckily, on the way back to Europe, I had no seat partner (biz class half full) but on the way to Mumbai it was full and my seat partner loved to play the elbow game.

Notes:

1. LIke the OP has in his original link, only buy one night of hotel. You get no points for hotel on expedia. But you DO get all your MQDs and MQMs on the bundled fare.

I bought this deal again 2 days ago out of Atlanta, with the e new direct flight on Delta (in SkySuites) to BOM out the outbound and KLM and Delta connecting on the way back for $2385

ATL
Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
Could that a be an error-fare?
It's not an error fare and when expedia does this it usually lasts a long time. They've done it 2 or 3 times in the past year to Mumbai.

ATL
Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by danger
We don't use that word around these parts.
LOL!!
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by BoarderX
Booked this LAS-BOM on Delta outbound and Virgin return via Expedia, at $2,000 during spring break. Shows up instantly in Delta account as an IT fare paid and booking class Z, all segments. IT is the designation for an exception fare.

As a Delta exception fare ticket, MQD is calculated as 20% of the RDMs earned...not 20% of miles flown. That's $6,092 in EQDs, pretty good for a $2,000 ticket.

Unless the Medallion bonus on RDMs stacks to the calculation. As a Diamond, my RDMs go up to 36,552. Does that bump the EQDs to $7,310? Delta's exception fare FAQ seems to suggest that's how it is calculated.
You can call Delta agents and ask. They have access to the MQDs and MQMs you will acquire for a flight, while we do not through the website UI, after it is booked. fyi

ATL
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATLConsultant
You can call Delta agents and ask. They have access to the MQDs and MQMs you will acquire for a flight, while we do not through the website UI, after it is booked. fyi

ATL
Yes, 20% MQD vs 40% would be a key determining factor before booking
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by mspflier
Yes, 20% MQD vs 40% would be a key determining factor before booking
On my flight this past August i paid $2085 for it and got $6,700+ MQDs and 27,750 MQMs -- if that helps.
nickohrn and NJSwamplands like this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by ft543
Can't find anything out of SEA/SFO/LAX. LAS looks like the closest one.
GEG is on offer.
ft543 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:48 am
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Pricing at $1,900. Still a good fare. Will keep checking.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM; Marriott Titanium
On my flight this past August i paid $2085 for it and got $6,700+ MQDs and 27,750 MQMs -- if that helps.
Thx. This was AF/KL marketed?
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MillionMiler; Delta Diamond; AA Plat; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Yes, it does. Thanks for the data point, consistent with Delta's published info re: exception fares.

Confirms that a Delta exception fare (IT) in Z class (which is how an Expedia package tickets on Delta-marketed flights) earns EQDs = 20% * actual RDMs (miles flown + 50% class bonus + 20% Diamond Medallion bonus).
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL MQDs are never a function of elite status. It’s a multiplier of miles flown, period, with the multiplier determined by fare class. It works out to 20% of RDMs earned, excluding any elite bonus (but including class of service bonus).

Also, there’s the ~$2400 fare on DL’s nonstop JFK-BOM for lots of dates next year (that may be with Amex IAP discount). Not entirely sure I’d do a double connection to save $600 especially if it’s partially on sub-par AF equipment. Unless I really needed the MQDs.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:37 pm

Delta is quite clear on how exception fare EQDs work, and it isn't class-adjusted miles flown:

"To earn toward Medallion Status with exception fares, one-fifth of the miles earned will count as Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs – U.S.-based Members only). For example, if you earn 1,500 “redeemable” miles on an exception fare, you would also earn 300 MQDs on that fare."

Which is why ATLConsultant earned $6,700 EQDs rather than $5,550 (.2*miles flown*1.5 class bonus) for his trip. The 20% difference is the elite bonus adjustment to RDMs because he's Diamond.

For my trip, the LAS-BOM math is clear. A $2,000 ticket to BOM with just one-stop (EWR or LHR) in each direction (including a long Suites segment) is no different than a non-package flight, but substantially less expensive than a regular Delta ticket from out here in the West. The extra $5,000 in EQDs is gravy.

Last edited by BoarderX; Oct 18, 2019 at 4:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.