FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Premium Fare Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/)
-   -   (JL) Business JFK-TPE return for $2300 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/1989709-jl-business-jfk-tpe-return-2300-a.html)

zip10001 Jan 2, 2020 12:13 pm

JL flights on 12/28 & 12/29 finally appeared on my AA acount:

JL marketed-flights credited after 4 days:

JFK-NRT: 13,490 EQM, 1687 EQD

NRT-TPE: 2712 EQM, 339 EQD

not bad for a R/T fare of ~1800 USD (booked using Amex preferred rates)

Thanks to all who contributed to the thread
:)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2b7e108c61.png

ZBigFam Jan 2, 2020 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by zip10001 (Post 31900744)
JL marketed-flights credited after 4 days:

JFK-NRT: 13,490 EQM, 1687 EQD

NRT-TPE: 2712 EQM, 339 EQD

not bad for a R/T fare of ~1800 USD (booked using Amex preferred rates)

Thanks to all who contributed to the thread
:)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2b7e108c61.png

So would multiply that by 2 for round trip? Otherwise my calcs are waaay off

ZBigFam Jan 2, 2020 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by hp12c (Post 31900600)
See below screenshot for EQM/EQD earnings for the outbound AA codeshares. The EQDs correspond approximately proportionally to the distance of each segment as a % of the entire trip (i.e., segment miles / total trip miles * base fare). EQDs will be better on the pure JL flight numbers on the way home.

Posted for me in one day.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d6ad7818a1.png

Ahh you flew on AA while I flew on JAL (at least JAL flight number). My earnings should be closer to zips.

Repooc17 Jan 3, 2020 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31902179)
Ahh you flew on AA while I flew on JAL (at least JAL flight number). My earnings should be closer to zips.

Codeshare flights are never operated by the carrier with the codeshare flight number. In this case, AA is code sharing with JL, and the flight is operated by JL. JL also has code sharing flight numbers operated by AA.

hur88 Jan 4, 2020 3:24 am

Thanks for this! I booked and was able to route through LAX and try AA's transcon business class for the same price.

ZBigFam Jan 4, 2020 7:15 am

Originally Posted by hur88 (Post 31907378)
Thanks for this! I booked and was able to route through LAX and try AA's transcon business class for the same price.

Can you share a link to Google? Would have wanted to book this route if I had known how.

ZBigFam Jan 4, 2020 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 31906605)
Codeshare flights are never operated by the carrier with the codeshare flight number. In this case, AA is code sharing with JL, and the flight is operated by JL. JL also has code sharing flight numbers operated by AA.

Admittedly I am so very much a noob when it comes to AA and status on airlines (United 1k while flawed was very easy to understand in terms of how to earn).

What confused me about the post earlier is that it didn't show the eqds or eqms I expected. For jfk > tpe in business I would have expected eqds of 4,040(16160*0.25) and eqms of 32,320 (=16160*2)

Are my calcs off?

​​

Repooc17 Jan 4, 2020 7:31 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31907852)
Admittedly I am so very much a noob when it comes to AA and status on airlines (United 1k while flawed was very easy to understand in terms of how to earn).

What confused me about the post earlier is that it didn't show the eqds or eqms I expected. For jfk > tpe in business I would have expected eqds of 4,040(16160*0.25) and eqms of 32,320 (=16160*2)

Are my calcs off?

​​

Every airline codeshares with its partners, including UA. As you are probably aware, UA has updated its earning criteria to something similar as AA/DL when comes to partner flights on partner ticket stock.

When comes to AA earnings on JL flghts/ticket, please refer to its chart:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

The booking fare basis becomes critical to determine the number of miles (elite + redeemable) you can earn.

zip10001 Jan 4, 2020 7:35 am

JAL flights

Are my calcs off?
​​

For JAL-marketed flights, my AA account got credited with:

2 * 16202 EQM

2 * 2026 EQD

So your numbers are close enough!

JJeffrey Jan 4, 2020 7:37 am

Are my calcs off?​​

Your calculations are 100% correct for flights booked as JL flight numbers. Flights booked as partner flight numbers are EASY when crediting to AA, it is always a combination of flight distance * fare code multiplier.

16,160 flown miles in booking code X on JL flight numbers will earn $4040 EQD and 32k EQM...no ifs ands or buts about it.

The first earnings post above was for flights booked as AA flight numbers, which will earn EQD based on the actual fare paid for the ticket. So a $2k JFK-TPE roundtrip on JL metal but sold as the AA codeshare flight numbers will earn approximately $1k in EQD each direction.

ZBigFam Jan 4, 2020 7:47 am

So if my flight numbers are JAL then my calcs are good (they are JAL).

Thanks all!!

hur88 Jan 4, 2020 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31907833)
Can you share a link to Google? Would have wanted to book this route if I had known how.

There really isn't a link or anything.
I did a lot of playing around on ITA matrix and forced different routings to see if things would come up the same price.

Once I found a routing I liked, I tried different multi-city searches and was able to get Expedia to display the flights and prices I wanted.

asdf098 Jan 7, 2020 7:47 pm

A few of these are still available for Jan travel. I just picked up the following on the JAL website for $2091 USD.
  • 1/24 JFK-NRT-TPE
  • 1/26 TPE-NRT-SEA-EWR
Crediting to AA, all JL-coded flights (including last leg which is a JL codeshare operated by Alaska). Expect to earn 33256 EQM and 4157 EQDs for my first mileage run of the year. There were other options that had returns on JL-operated TYO-JFK, but would need an overnight in Tokyo, which didn't quite fit my schedule for a weekend MR with only one day off work :)

Whodunit68 Jan 7, 2020 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by asdf098 (Post 31921881)
A few of these are still available for Jan travel. I just picked up the following on the JAL website for $2091 USD.
  • 1/24 JFK-NRT-TPE
  • 1/26 TPE-NRT-SEA-EWR
Crediting to AA, all JL-coded flights (including last leg which is a JL codeshare operated by Alaska). Expect to earn 33256 EQM and 4157 EQDs for my first mileage run of the year. There were other options that had returns on JL-operated TYO-JFK, but would need an overnight in Tokyo, which didn't quite fit my schedule for a weekend MR with only one day off work :)

Im sitting in JAL TPE lounge on my way back to JFK via NRT with a 1:40 layover. I paid a few hundred more.

Boringbarry Jan 7, 2020 9:24 pm

• 1/24 JFK-NRT-TPE
  • 1/26 TPE-NRT-SEA-EWR

noob question since I don't have status, but what makes this worth it for $2091? Are the miles you're getting worth more, or is it primarily to reach status and that makes it worthwhile?

Whodunit68 Jan 7, 2020 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Boringbarry (Post 31922159)
noob question since I don't have status, but what makes this worth it for $2091? Are the miles you're getting worth more, or is it primarily to reach status and that makes it worthwhile?

For approximately $2k, you get close to $6k EQDs, enough for platinum status with one trip.

jeffeverde Jan 8, 2020 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Boringbarry (Post 31922159)

This was addressed a few messages up. For the purpose of accruing EQM's and EQD's (for AA status) - AA flights accrue EQM and EQD based on the actual miles flown and dollars spent. But when flying on a OneWorld partner and crediting the miles to your AAdvantage account, the EQM's and EQD's are based on the miles flown *times a fare class multiplier*. AA has different multipliers for each partner's various classes, but generally EQM's are 1.5x to 3x airmiles and EQD's are 20-30% airmiles.

JJeffrey Jan 8, 2020 7:47 am

• 1/24 JFK-NRT-TPE
  • 1/26 TPE-NRT-SEA-EWR

Originally Posted by Whodunit68 (Post 31922188)
For approximately $2k, you get close to $6k EQDs, enough for platinum status with one trip.

Not sure where $6k comes from...

...but, I wouldn't expect to earn EQDs for the AS flight (AS isn't oneworld or an affiliate) so you're most likely looking at ~$3500 EQD.

Whodunit68 Jan 8, 2020 7:50 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31923673)
Not sure where $6k comes from...

...but, I wouldn't expect to earn EQDs for the AS flight (AS isn't oneworld or an affiliate) so you're most likely looking at ~$3500 EQD.

It came from my miscalculation. My EQDs will be around 3700 plus positioning flights.

asdf098 Jan 8, 2020 8:18 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31923673)

Per this thread I think the AS SEA-EWR leg with a JL flight number should earn according to published JL accrual rates.

I think the key language is the following from AA's JL partner page: "earn AAdvantageョ miles when you fly on Japan Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Japan Airlines codeshare flights operated by other carriers including oneworldョ carriers and affiliates". For other partner airlines, the "other carriers including" language is not present. This leads me to believe that JL is an exception to the rule that the operating carrier must be oneworld. So I'm expecting (hoping) to earn 25% of distance on this AS flight = $600 EQD. The flight is in just over two weeks so I'll find out soon enough...

JJeffrey Jan 8, 2020 8:38 am

Originally Posted by asdf098 (Post 31923834)
Per this thread I think the AS SEA-EWR leg with a JL flight number should earn according to punished JL accrual rates.

I think the key language is the following from AA's JL partner page: "earn AAdvantageョ miles when you fly on Japan Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Japan Airlines codeshare flights operated by other carriers including oneworldョ carriers and affiliates". For other partner airlines, the "other carriers including" language is not present. This leads me to believe that JL is an exception to the rule that the operating carrier must be oneworld. So I'm expecting (hoping) to earn 25% of distance on this AS flight = $600 EQD. The flight is in just over two weeks so I'll find out soon enough...

Yea the wording on the JL page is a bit ambiguous, fingers crossed and do report back on how the SEA-EWR flight credits ^

onobond Jan 8, 2020 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31923917)

Originally Posted by asdf098 (Post 31923834)
Per this thread I think the AS SEA-EWR leg with a JL flight number should earn according to published JL accrual rates.

Yea the wording on the JL page is a bit ambiguous, fingers crossed and do report back on how the SEA-EWR flight credits ^

Better check rules for crediting carefully. The list of JL affiliate airlines on the Oneworld webpage only lists J-AIR and Japan Transocean Air. AFAIK, that means no AS flight credit. Happy for you, if I'm proven wrong, though.

ZBigFam Jan 8, 2020 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by onobond (Post 31925029)
Better check rules for crediting carefully. The list of JL affiliate airlines on the Oneworld webpage only lists J-AIR and Japan Transocean Air. AFAIK, that means no AS flight credit. Happy for you, if I'm proven wrong, though.

Would be interested to know how this credits as well. Please post an update when you get the points.

VFR Jan 8, 2020 10:16 pm

The oneworld page for AA lists American Eagle as their only affiliate airline; I think that term means something else.

I believe that JL and QF are the two exceptions on which the operating carrier does not have to be a oneworld carrier. However, given AA's lack of a statement on which operating carriers are acceptable, it's kind of a "whatever AA decides goes" situation.

I did notice when booking this fare that you could also buy the JL codeshare from JFK to SAN on B6. I would have hopped on that except it would only book in Y even though the flight had Mint. It would be a crazy world, earning AA miles while flying JetBlue Mint...

Whodunit68 Jan 9, 2020 1:28 am

Originally Posted by VFR (Post 31926927)
The oneworld page for AA lists American Eagle as their only affiliate airline; I think that term means something else.

I believe that JL and QF are the two exceptions on which the operating carrier does not have to be a oneworld carrier. However, given AA's lack of a statement on which operating carriers are acceptable, it's kind of a "whatever AA decides goes" situation.

I did notice when booking this fare that you could also buy the JL codeshare from JFK to SAN on B6. I would have hopped on that except it would only book in Y even though the flight had Mint. It would be a crazy world, earning AA miles while flying JetBlue Mint...

My original flight itin had a short B6 leg in Y from BOS to EWR or JFK (I don’t remember). JAL stated that I would earn as if I’m flying JL. The routing ended up changing so I will never know but curious to see how this plays out also.

StatusChallenged Jan 9, 2020 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Whodunit68 (Post 31927318)
My original flight itin had a short B6 leg in Y from BOS to EWR or JFK (I don稚 remember). JAL state痴 that I would earn as if I知 flying JL. The routing ended up changing so I will never know but curious to see how this plays out also.

when I took this flight, I did not earn miles on the EWR-BOS leg in JetBlue

King1028 Jan 9, 2020 8:58 am

Unfortunately, my days were not flexible but I was able to book a version of this yesterday as an early year run (should be enough to get me to EXP again with already planned travel). Any suggestions for what I should do / where I should stay on really short stops in both Taipei (21:15 - 15:35+1 turn) and Tokyo (19:25 - 11:05+1). I have never been to either city. In Tokyo looking to get into the city as fast as possible and eat as much as I can!

Crediting to AA my earning expectations:
Base: 20,188 (actual flight miles - I am EXP but I do not believe I get a multiplier on this, right?
EQM: 32,300
EQD: 4,038

Cost: $2,178.90
Fare Code: X
Sunday, March 1: JL3 JFK-NRT 11:05-15:25+1 777 - Sky Suite
Monday, March 2: JL809 NRT-TPE 18:00-21:15 788 - Shell Flat Neo
Tuesday, March 3: JL98 TPE-HND 15:35-19:25 777 - Sky Suite III
Wednesday, March 4: JL6 HND-JFK 11:05-10:00 777 - Sky Suite

StatusChallenged Jan 9, 2020 1:18 pm

Taiwanese breakfast spots open at 5:30 so you should be able to go to 3 or 4 spots in the morning and you can also do a night market after you get in.

Tokyo is not up quite as early and the airport is far so it really depends on where you are staying. Places stay open late as well, but trains shut down at midnight and taxis are extremely expensive (at least $10 USD/mile). exp lounge does get you access to the sushi bar though and the airport has a couple of places that aren't bad/could be worth checking out

Originally Posted by King1028 (Post 31928484)
Unfortunately, my days were not flexible but I was able to book a version of this yesterday as an early year run (should be enough to get me to EXP again with already planned travel). Any suggestions for what I should do / where I should stay on really short stops in both Taipei (21:15 - 15:35+1 turn) and Tokyo (19:25 - 11:05+1). I have never been to either city. In Tokyo looking to get into the city as fast as possible and eat as much as I can!

Base: 20,188 (actual flight miles - I am EXP but I do not believe I get a multiplier on this, right?

wordsew Jan 9, 2020 7:39 pm

Hey folks

If you're looking for a few more miles this pretty much prices out almost the same jfk-tyo-tpe return kul-tyo-jfk or jfk-tyo-kul return tpe-tyo-jfk
you can catch a cheap flight tpe to kul or kul tpe.

Whodunit68 Jan 10, 2020 4:31 am

We just yesterday got back from almost exactly this trip. The JL809 flight was the same. We did JL4 NRT-JFK. People seem to love these SkySuites but I thought they were really bizarre. I don't know who thinks of these things.
On both long hauls, something fell behind the seats. Storage was behind me as was the single power outlet and headphone jack. They took some really strange contortions to get to. Seats were ok - don't forget to use the provided mattress. Service was more or less amazing (they are so incredibly respectful and courteous). Though, there were some misses.

Taipei - Airport MRT was a really easy way to get to the city. It's quite a walk when you get to the main station though. Very very easy @ TPE.
In TPE, swing by a night market and eat your brains out. We went to 2 night markets and ate almost nothing as we don't eat what they have there but it was almost all food. Even Monday night was elbow-to-elbow in one of the claimed smaller markets.
Have some of the fresh soy milk for breakfast. Not sure where you're going to stay. We were in Zhongzheng which has a place and Wanhua has King of Soy or something like that (great reviews on gmaps and yelp).
You don't have much time to do much else. If you're really inspired on Tuesday morning, get up early and walk up elephant mountain for a great view of the city. Get back to hotel and hit the shower / head to the airport.
I can't help you much in Tokyo - I've only been to the airport.

wordsew Jan 10, 2020 6:48 am

Just spent two weeks in Taipei. Stayed at three different hotels, the Hilton Sinban, the Daan Kimpton and the Eslite. In my opinion the Eslite was hands down the best hotel. Great rooms,great service, walkable area. (request a room facing the park and Taipei 101)
LINKY: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ct_Taipei.html

To any of these hotels the max cab fare to/from the airport is about 35-40 bucks... If you are on a budget you can take the train

Taipei 101, elephant Mountain, The W and Hyatt Hotels are all within walking distance of the Eslite.

Eslite: walk out the door and you're in a small park connected to that park is a large arts center that are old buildings that were repurposed for art studios and exhibitions. Very cool IMHO. You could eat up a day just strolling in and out of the various studious and activities just there.
Also: just outside the park is a walkable neighborhood with plenty of cool little restaurants (I highly recommend the restaurant WOOSA right around the corner from Eslite hotel)
LINKY: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...ng_Taipei.html

I walked from the Eslite to Taipei 101, elephant Mountain, The W and Hyatt Hotels (Fairly easy walk elephant mount being the furthest away). There are also night markets within walking distance.

As for Tokyo.... I been 5 times and it's truly incredible city. Train is the fastest way from NRT/HND...
For hotels I like the Park Hotel https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ure_Kanto.html it's clean, reasonably priced and in a decent location. If you want a little more upscale try the Conrad right next door. Bay views from the lounge and rooms are fantastic. Both hotels are located very close to the high end shopping district Ginza https://www.japanvisitor.com/tokyo/t...ginza-shopping Walk into a department store and head downstairs for a quick bite a must do in Tokyo IMHO.
Shibuya Crossing another must do: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ure_Kanto.html

jeffeverde Jan 14, 2020 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged (Post 31929690)
<snip>

Tokyo is not up quite as early and the airport is far so it really depends on where you are staying. Places stay open late as well, but trains shut down at midnight and taxis are extremely expensive (at least $10 USD/mile). exp lounge does get you access to the sushi bar though and the airport has a couple of places that aren't bad/could be worth checking out

His (her?) Tokyo layover is in/out of HND, not NRT.

HND is a quick 15 minute train ride to Shinagawa station, and from there it's a 10-20 minute train ride to most anywhere you'd want to go in Tokyo. Bars and restaurants are open late in Tokyo, but the last train to the airport is at midnight. If you're planning on sleeping in the airport, schedule accordingly. Train service to HND resumes at about 5am.

Easiest overnight accommodations would be a hotel near the airport - but that's not very interesting. If you want to explore Tokyo late, the easiest thing would be to end up in the Shinagawa area before the trains stop, party like a salaryman till the bars close, and then stay at a hotel near Shinagawa station and take the train to HND in the morning.

Personally, I'm partial to the Shinjuku area for evening entertainment (Omoide Yokocho, Kabukicho, robot restaurant, Godzilla peeking over the top of an office tower, etc). And if you spend the evening in Shinjuku, that opens the door to a unique Tokyo experience -- join the lemming run in the morning train commute from Shinjuku to Shinagawa (and on to HND). (NYC's subways pale compared to Shinjuku station)

There are plenty of great travel blogs on youtube covering the different parts of Tokyo.

BlindPilot Jan 15, 2020 6:34 am

I知 seeing this fare in Google Flight but purchase through AA website. If so, would that earn using AA chart instead of the higher earnings using Partner chart?

hp12c Jan 15, 2020 6:38 am

Originally Posted by BlindPilot (Post 31953022)
I知 seeing this fare in Google Flight but purchase through AA website. If so, would that earn using AA chart instead of the higher earnings using Partner chart?

All that matters is the flight numbers. If you can buy JL flight numbers through the AA website (or anywhere) then you値l get the partner chart earning. If you get AA flight numbers, then you値l earn according to the AA chart.

VegasGambler Jan 20, 2020 1:30 am

Originally Posted by BlindPilot (Post 31953022)
I’m seeing this fare in Google Flight but purchase through AA website. If so, would that earn using AA chart instead of the higher earnings using Partner chart?

It's available directly from JL as well.

Edit: And, more importantly, available on Amex IAP with a $230 discount and a JL flight number.

I'm seeing $2076 on matrix and $1843 on IAP (online). Though, not all combos that are available on matrix show up on IAP.

I haven't tried calling amex yet because I just applied for my card today and it hasn't arrived, so I don't know the number to call.

VFR Jan 20, 2020 7:34 am

If you use something like BookWithMatrix, you can book on AA.com (on 001 ticket stock) as long as there is at least one AA flight number (including a short flight like JFK-BOS). This might be useful for someone trying to upgrade J -> F on JFK-LAX or JFK-SFO, for example.

The best way to book this fare is definitely IAP... I am really tempted to go back to Asia later on this fare.

VegasGambler Jan 21, 2020 5:23 pm

I just booked this for late april - early may. $1833 with IAP; saved $243 off the $2076 fare that I was seeing on matrix.

IAP certainly has much reduced availability. When I called in the agent saw different availability than I saw, but still not the exact dates I wanted. I ended up moving my preferred dates by 1 day (worth it for the savings, I think) and booked online to avoid the $39 fee.

dleavitt39 Jan 24, 2020 6:11 pm

Just booked for Late March - early April. $2203, with stopover in Tokyo on the way home for 40 hours.

ZBigFam Jan 25, 2020 5:00 pm

Starting my journey tomorrow, staying in JFK overnight lol.

zip10001 Jan 25, 2020 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31994534)
Starting my journey tomorrow, staying in JFK overnight lol.

Safe travel!