FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Premium Fare Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/)
-   -   (JL) Business JFK-TPE return for $2300 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/1989709-jl-business-jfk-tpe-return-2300-a.html)

flyaxa Oct 2, 2019 6:54 am

(JL) Business JFK-TPE return for $2300

Seems to be from now through January. Might be a flash sale.

metalblaze Oct 2, 2019 6:55 am

Originally Posted by flyaxa (Post 31585692)
Seems to be from now through January. Might be a flash sale.

Any Website link? I am planning to fly in April next year.

Tokyoite Oct 2, 2019 6:56 am

Originally Posted by metalblaze (Post 31585696)

Google flights

flyaxa Oct 2, 2019 7:00 am

Originally Posted by metalblaze (Post 31585696)

Checking Google Flights it only seems to run through January

Dominicus Oct 2, 2019 7:02 am

Ticket valid DEP till 31st Dec. Max stay 3 month, min stay 12 hours.
Can route with AS/AA transcon

Dominicus Oct 2, 2019 7:04 am

500usd for refund
400usd for changes
stopover at 100usd (area 3)

Tokyoite Oct 2, 2019 7:08 am

fare XLX08DN0
Day/Time restrictions
PERMITTED MON THROUGH THU ON EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.

Seasonal restrictions
PERMITTED 01NOV 19 THROUGH 12DEC 19 OR 28DEC 19 THROUGH
28JAN 20 ON THE OUTBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.

Minimum stay requirements 12 HOURS AFTER ARRIVAL AT TURNAROUND.

Maximum stay requirements NO LATER THAN 3 MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.

Dominicus Oct 2, 2019 7:08 am

The ticket can be issued in AA stock for 37k EQM

Dominicus Oct 2, 2019 7:09 am

Fare 1: Carrier AA ILX08DN0 NYC to TPE (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code I, X
Covers JFK-LAX (Business), LAX-NRT (Business), NRT-TPE (Business)

kerufin Oct 2, 2019 7:11 am

JFK-KUL is around the same price too.

Dominicus Oct 2, 2019 7:19 am

For those looking to maximize their trip:
HIP/MILEAGE EXCEPTIONS JAPAN IS EXCLUDED FROM THE HIGHER INTERMEDIATE POINT
RULE FOR STOPOVERS.

Dominicus Oct 2, 2019 7:20 am

Full fare rule:
Issue bef 10 Nov, valid for dep 31 dec.
Spoiler

Unknown Oct 2, 2019 7:42 am

Super tempting. Too bad it doesn't work in the other direction.

Tokyoite Oct 2, 2019 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Unknown (Post 31585818)
Super tempting. Too bad it doesn't work in the other direction.

In my case, too bad it doesn't continue until next year. Re-qualification is done for this year, and this fare isn't that valuable for status this late in the year.

eliteone Oct 2, 2019 9:36 am

But booking on JL yields AAdvantage: 31k EQMs and $3900 EQDs, yes?

Beltway2A Oct 2, 2019 9:39 am

Down to $2011 with the Amex IAP. Phenomenal price, but very strict refund requirements ("Tickets are refundable. A fee of $1600 per ticket is charged for cancellations").

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1efc2a22f3.png

Dominicus Oct 2, 2019 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A (Post 31586223)
Down to $2011 with the Amex IAP. Phenomenal price, but very strict refund requirements ("Tickets are refundable. A fee of $1600 per ticket is charged for cancellations").

If purchased not using IAP your refund fee is only 500...

jpasiczn Oct 2, 2019 11:43 am

LOVE this. Headed to TPE for a concert in Nov, but I need to leave on a Friday...but great fare!

eneq Oct 2, 2019 12:08 pm

Better purchase quickly. TPG posted this sale, so it won't last much longer.

MSYtoJFKagain Oct 2, 2019 12:11 pm

DELETE

erik123 Oct 2, 2019 4:40 pm

PEN and KHH also good.

nk15 Oct 2, 2019 4:47 pm

This was first posted at the blogs a couple of days ago...

Assimilated Cajun Oct 3, 2019 3:04 am

Just booked this for my wife and me, leaving January 27 (which appears to be the second-to-last day before the fare expires) and returning March 10. Using Amex IAP we were able to get the two tickets for a little over $4000. We used Amex MR points for half of that -- after the 5x points earnings and the 35% rebate that should only be about 110K points -- so our cash outlay will be about the same as we usually pay for economy trips to Asia. Since we need to leave from Washington, arrive in Bangkok, and depart from Saigon, we filled in the blanks with an inexpensive DCA-JFK RT on AA and with AA awards on CX (TPE-BKK oubound and SGN-TPE return). The timing of the flights means we'll have to stay in a hotel at JFK on the way out (since we don't want to begin our trip by getting up at 4 am) and at a hotel in TPE in each direction. But there's a Novotel at TPE with reasonable rates, and a few not-too-bad options at JFK. Including the hotels and point/mile spend, our price per person for the whole trip will be $1450 + 55K MR + 45K AA miles. Thanks so much to OP for posting this (I only read the blogs when Google tells me to, but I check this forum regularly) and to Beltway2A for pointing out the extra savings from Amex IAP.

A couple of additional notes that might be helpful:

1) Although JAL is typically terrible about seat selection, even in premium cabins, on tickets not purchased directly from them -- and although I got big red warning signs with exclamation points when I first went to their website to try to select seats -- we were ultimately successful.

2) If your destination is not TPE but somewhere in Southeast Asia, a CX award on AA in J will get you there for only 22.5 miles. We also looked at UA for nonstop TPE-BKK flights on Eva and Thai Air, and there were plenty of nonstops but they all cost 45K in J. Apparently UA divides the regions of Asia differently than AA. To save 45,000 miles we don't mind the stopovers in HKG, which we will spend in the wonderful CX lounges.

3) AA should credit a little over 32K EQM and a little over 4K EQD.

4) As noted in another recent thread on this forum, JAL (and also AA) are offering NYC-KUL for almost exactly the same price as this TPE offer. That alternative is tempting, because it would get us closer to our destinations and would also result in substantially more AA EQMs (40K vs 32K) and EQDs (5K vs 4K). However, it requires an additional overnight in NRT. Also, for some reason I can't get the NYC-KUL fare to come up on Amex IAP, so without that additional discount the two tickets to KUL would cost us about $700 more than our two tickets to TPE. But if you won't be using Amex IAP, and/or if maximizing EQMs and EQDs is really important to you, booking the NYC-KUL itinerary on JAL might be better for you.

Whodunit68 Oct 3, 2019 4:34 am

Originally Posted by eliteone (Post 31586218)
But booking on JL yields AAdvantage: 31k EQMs and $3900 EQDs, yes?

should be 32,402 EQMs and 4,050 EQDs if my calcs are correct based on the "X" JAL fare I found of 2,280.67 (USD) / pax.
X should be 25% EQDs (GCMAP shows 16,201 via NRT) and 2x EQMs according to AA JAL thingie. Pretty sweet.

Isochronous Oct 3, 2019 5:19 am

That's incredible value.

Whodunit68 Oct 3, 2019 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Isochronous (Post 31589179)
That's incredible value.

agreed. 0.07cpm for JAL J? I'd say it's good. I honestly don't know JAL J but I'm about to find out unless someone says it's crap. They're SkySuites on the one I found. I've seen some mixed reviews but I'm willing to try for that price.

betonic Oct 3, 2019 7:17 am

Has anyone seen other destinations other than TPE and KUL offered in this sale?

Assimilated Cajun Oct 3, 2019 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Whodunit68 (Post 31589294)
I honestly don't know JAL J but I'm about to find out unless someone says it's crap. They're SkySuites on the one I found. I've seen some mixed reviews but I'm willing to try for that price.

+1. I was surprised that JAL J TPAC seating is 2-2-2, vs the equivalent AA and CX flights which are 1-2-1. But it's fine on this trip, since my wife and I are traveling together. For trips on which I'm alone, I've been spoiled in recent years by having a window seat that's also an aisle seat on most long-haul flights. I love looking out the window -- especially when passing over coastlines and/or over parts of the world that are far removed from both my departure point and my destination -- but sometimes I get claustrophobic, especially when the person in the aisle seat takes up a lot of physical and/or psychic space. Also, some commenters on SeatGuru say that the JAL J seats are narrower than those of their competitors. Again, probably not a problem on this trip, since my wife and I are reasonably compact and don't mind brushing elbows with each other.

I get the impression that there's a world of difference between JAL seats in J vs F, whereas on many AA planes the two classes are almost the same. But I agree that this fare offers a good opportunity to try JAL J and see whether it's worth keeping on my list for future flights.

eneq Oct 3, 2019 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun (Post 31589481)
+1. I was surprised that JAL J TPAC seating is 2-2-2, vs the equivalent AA and CX flights which are 1-2-1. But it's fine on this trip, since my wife and I are traveling together. For trips on which I'm alone, I've been spoiled in recent years by having a window seat that's also an aisle seat on most long-haul flights. I love looking out the window -- especially when passing over coastlines and/or over parts of the world that are far removed from both my departure point and my destination -- but sometimes I get claustrophobic, especially when the person in the aisle seat takes up a lot of physical and/or psychic space. Also, some commenters on SeatGuru say that the JAL J seats are narrower than those of their competitors. Again, probably not a problem on this trip, since my wife and I are reasonably compact and don't mind brushing elbows with each other.

I get the impression that there's a world of difference between JAL seats in J vs F, whereas on many AA planes the two classes are almost the same. But I agree that this fare offers a good opportunity to try JAL J and see whether it's worth keeping on my list for future flights.

The seat map may be 2-2-2, but the windows seats are staggered so every seat has direct aisle access. The window seats have a little walkway at the front of the "suite" to the aisle. I've never flown JAL's version of the Apex Suite, but KE's was very nice.

warrenw Oct 3, 2019 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun (Post 31588971)
Just booked this for my wife and me, leaving January 27 (which appears to be the second-to-last day before the fare expires) and returning March 10. Using Amex IAP we were able to get the two tickets for a little over $4000. We used Amex MR points for half of that -- after the 5x points earnings and the 35% rebate that should only be about 110K points -- so our cash outlay will be about the same as we usually pay for economy trips to Asia. Since we need to leave from Washington, arrive in Bangkok, and depart from Saigon, we filled in the blanks with an inexpensive DCA-JFK RT on AA and with AA awards on CX (TPE-BKK oubound and SGN-TPE return). The timing of the flights means we'll have to stay in a hotel at JFK on the way out (since we don't want to begin our trip by getting up at 4 am) and at a hotel in TPE in each direction. But there's a Novotel at TPE with reasonable rates, and a few not-too-bad options at JFK. Including the hotels and point/mile spend, our price per person for the whole trip will be $1450 + 55K MR + 45K AA miles. Thanks so much to OP for posting this (I only read the blogs when Google tells me to, but I check this forum regularly) and to Beltway2A for pointing out the extra savings from Amex IAP.

Just a quick note on the Novotel, they have an airport shuttle and the rooms are quite new and nice. I've stayed there 3 times for layovers.

Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun (Post 31589481)

I could be wrong but as early as last year they still had the angle-flat 2-2-2 configuration. So it might be that configuration. Also, Apex suites I *thought* were actually 2-3-2 on JAL, 2-2-2 on every other airline.

hirohito888 Oct 3, 2019 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by warrenw (Post 31591268)
I could be wrong but as early as last year they still had the angle-flat 2-2-2 configuration. So it might be that configuration. Also, Apex suites I *thought* were actually 2-3-2 on JAL, 2-2-2 on every other airline.

JL angle-flat are only on intra-asia flights now. All JL long-haul flights are lie-flat. Apex lie-flats are 2-3-2 on 77W and 2-2-2 on 787.

flyaxa Oct 3, 2019 7:23 pm

I have enjoyed the Sky Suites on a number of occassions. And on the2-2-2 and 2-3-2 configurations, all seats have aisle access. https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi.../skysuite.html
They are a wee bit tighter than, say QRs new suites, but I loved the privacy, and service was great as always.

pbd456 Oct 3, 2019 11:50 pm

TYO- SIN/CGK have flat bed? I seem to have both on flat bed.
i did TYO DEL back in August, and it has flat bed.

Tokyoite Oct 4, 2019 4:13 am

For the avoidance of doubt about the seats... The 787.
Isle access for window seats

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...58f200623.jpeg

Overall cabin view
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0d9dffc09.jpeg
Overall cabin
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0872b5aba.jpeg
The seat itself

Another cabin view
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c091eac76.jpeg

Tokyoite Oct 4, 2019 4:30 am

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 31592342)
TYO- SIN/CGK have flat bed? I seem to have both on flat bed.
i did TYO DEL back in August, and it has flat bed.

Yes.

warrenw Oct 4, 2019 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by hirohito888 (Post 31591302)
JL angle-flat are only on intra-asia flights now. All JL long-haul flights are lie-flat. Apex lie-flats are 2-3-2 on 77W and 2-2-2 on 787.

Great to know, thanks!

bd24133 Oct 5, 2019 1:30 am

Just FYI, there are a number of dates in July and August leaving out of SEA to Tokyo and Osaka for ~$2370. Look on google flights and play around w dates. I am not sure if this warrants a separate thread. If it does please let me know and I can start one.

SJC Oct 5, 2019 10:42 am

Originally Posted by bd24133 (Post 31595642)
Just FYI, there are a number of dates in July and August leaving out of SEA to Tokyo and Osaka for ~$2370. Look on google flights and play around w dates. I am not sure if this warrants a separate thread. If it does please let me know and I can start one.

There was a related thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...20-2370-a.html

SilverChris Oct 5, 2019 11:41 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888 (Post 31591302)

Some of the lower-yield TPAC flights get inferior lie-flat products. KIX-LAX gets the SS3 (which is a watered down version of reverse-herringbone), while YVR gets the SS6 which can be quite a squeeze. They might not be so relevant to the thread here but it's worth bearing in mind that not all long-haul routes are equal.

Kev6789 Oct 9, 2019 2:15 pm

Has anybody here done an overnight transit at TPE before? If I arrive from JAL flight at 21:15 and have a connecting CX flight to HK the following day at 6AM, without a CX boarding pass before arriving TPE, do I need to clear immigration for that? Does the TPE transit area open 24 hours a day? Please help! Thx!