Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

LAN Business Class SCL-IPC (Easter Island) US$400 RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAN Business Class SCL-IPC (Easter Island) US$400 RT

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I think deciding the answer to "how many days on Easter Island?" is tricky: I have read most people say 2 nights (or even less!) is enough.

For myself, I stayed 3 days (almost exactly 72 hours) at a lovely guesthouse just past the airport on the way to the volcano. Could have stayed a week, though the statues can be done in a whirlwind 1-2 days. But if you like looking at 2-story-tall waves crashing on rocks and swimming at the one beach on the other side of the island, you could easily extend a trip for more than 3 nights.

So while you could do it in 1-2 nights, for myself, I'd do 4-5 nights there and just relax in the pollution-free, gorgeous Easter Island and have a beer or two staring out at the sunsets. That's my kind of trip, but not for everyone.

FYI I didn't find Santiago to be worth more than a day or two, but Valparaiso is awesome (I'd give that 2 nights) and the wineries either north or south of Santiago are great too.
percysmith likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
Lots of new dates just loaded on google flights, many in Nov-Dec for $453 RT
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
I am due to fly tomorrow to IPC but the plane is showing to be one of the leased 777-200

update: just one pic showing the age of the plane. Will take off soon and will try to get some sleep on our way to IPC

Last edited by JFSV; Oct 4, 2019 at 2:51 am
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by A1pax

One problem with flying to Easter Island (we did not know) was everyone had to complete an on-line form before going to security! It would be helpful if Latam had the link to this form online so we would have done it before check-in. We arrived at the airport early, hoping to check out a priority pass lounge before boarding. No such luck. We only found out the online form at the airport, and we had to do it online there and then. Fortunately we could use our iphone to complete the forms with our UK mobile phone (free roaming in Chile). it took us 45 mins to do this. Then when we got to security, there was one long line with 50 people in front of us and one staff checking the online forms (!) before allowing going through security. It took an hour for us to get to the front and they opened up another 2 windows. We had no time to check out any lounge, and headed straight to boarding. The online form (a new requirement in place for a year) asked for personal details such as passport, birth date, citizenship, how long stay on the island, and "where" we were staying. Our host told us to put in his bungalow name, but did not explain the form nor gave us the link to the form.

I am planning on YYZ-SCL landing at 0645 and connection to SCL-IPC leaving at 930. Would you say that's enough time if all tickets on LATAM??

The wifi on the island was slow to non-existent, so before the trip I downloaded on my ipad / iphone an offline map of the island - this came in very handy as I was able to navigate hubby (the driver) from site to site, to and from the bungalow and the eating places. Food and drink on the island were expensive (as expected) but the bungalow host supplied us with plenty of things to eat and drink and there were facilities to make tea / coffee. We did not have to buy anything extra. The owner also lent us a book about Easter Island - interesting reading about the background and history of the Island.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:28 pm

just looked on latam chile site...SCL-IPC in april is 974.548...I assume that is not 974 pesos, but 974 thousand pesos? Which is US 1371 roughly RT??!!! WOW that's a lot
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by JFSV
I am due to fly tomorrow to IPC but the plane is showing to be one of the leased 777-200

update: just one pic showing the age of the plane. Will take off soon and will try to get some sleep on our way to IPC
The white tail leased plane from SQ was dreadful - as shown in your photo, the seats were worn out and dirty! We were most unhappy about it. Hope your trip was not too bad, and you managed to get some sleep. Our flights were both day flights - except people sitting in the window seats closed the shades.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by picard8427
just looked on latam chile site...SCL-IPC in april is 974.548...I assume that is not 974 pesos, but 974 thousand pesos? Which is US 1371 roughly RT??!!! WOW that's a lot
You are correct.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:45 pm

"I am planning on YYZ-SCL landing at 0645 and connection to SCL-IPC leaving at 930. Would you say that's enough time if all tickets on LATAM??"

Am not sure if that would be enough time. Do you have checked bags? You may have to clear immigration at SCL before connecting to IPC. Our experience with SCL airport is lines and more lines We flew from LHR to SCL and as soon as we landed in SCL early in the morning, we hit the long lines for immigration - waited in line for 45 mins (no kidding). Don't forget you have to complete a form online flying from SCL to IPC - do internet search for the link, and do it before hand (not at the airport) to save time. Our experience with arriving / leaving SCL was not good.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:22 pm

arghhh, was hoping to save an overnight in SCL but I'm getting the feeling not...that's hoping the crazy flight prices come down a bit!
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP IHG Diamond Marriott Gold Hilton Diamond
Rapa Nui App

You can bypass all lines for the ticket to the sites by downloading the Rapa Nui App. You can purchase an e-ticket on it for $80US. It comes with a map and links to all the major sites as well as other resources. Quite well done.

Link to the online arrival form: https://ingresorapanui.interior.gob.cl/#
A1pax likes this.

Last edited by worldtraveler303; Oct 13, 2019 at 9:07 am Reason: additional trext
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Then when we got to security, there was one long line with 50 people in front of us and one staff checking the online forms (!) before allowing going through security. It took an hour for us to get to the front and they opened up another 2 windows. We had no time to check out any lounge, and headed straight to boarding. The online form (a new requirement in place for a year) asked for personal details such as passport, birth date, citizenship, how long stay on the island, and "where" we were staying. Our host told us to put in his bungalow name, but did not explain the form nor gave us the link to the form.
Did you use the LATAM business check-in and go through security on the upper level that puts you right in front of the LATAM lounge? Very quick & easy. We were in IPC in March arriving from PPT. I would agree 2 nights is sufficient. We were only there for one day but still saw a lot and enjoyed it.

James
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Did you use the LATAM business check-in and go through security on the upper level that puts you right in front of the LATAM lounge? Very quick & easy. We were in IPC in March arriving from PPT. I would agree 2 nights is sufficient. We were only there for one day but still saw a lot and enjoyed it.

James
Thanks, James. Yes, we used the Latam business checkin, they gave us boarding pass and told us to complete the form. They did not mention anything about security on the upper levels or Latam lounge (we could not find it). Most frustrating experience at SCL. [PS - the wife of the bungalow owner (where we stayed) works for latam each monday night from ipc and ppt - and return. She does not stay overnight in ppt.]
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Thanks, James. Yes, we used the Latam business checkin, they gave us boarding pass and told us to complete the form. They did not mention anything about security on the upper levels or Latam lounge (we could not find it). Most frustrating experience at SCL. [PS - the wife of the bungalow owner (where we stayed) works for latam each monday night from ipc and ppt - and return. She does not stay overnight in ppt.]
My first time through SCL, I toyally missed the business class check-in. When I went through the regular security queue it took me a while to locate the LATAM lounge. There is an elevator just past the shops. When you enter the business class check-in area, there are two security lanes to the far left after checking in. It is easy to miss. Once through, you are at the entrance to the LATAM Lounge and in front of "said" elevator that will take you down to departures. I am in SCL as we speak. Heading back to DFW-PHX in a few hours.

The PPT-IPC flight is once weekly with a 3:00 am Tuuesday morning departure. You fly 5 hours and cross 5 time zones. Although over 2000 miles out in the Pacific off the coast of Chile, IPC is the same time zone as NYC. I think that threw me more than departing AKL and arriving in PPT the day before we departed.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.