Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

EgyptAir FRA-CAN-FRAin Z under 1400EUR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EgyptAir FRA-CAN-FRAin Z under 1400EUR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN since 2007
Talking EgyptAir FRA-CAN-FRAin Z under 1400EUR

Hi, I thought this might be of interest:

I was hunting for a flight to go to China beginning of December and google flights was offering a pretty nice 2000EUR for the above itinerary with EgyptAir. I then remembered that I still had 200EUR of travel credit to burn off my platinum amex card so logged onto amex, although my expectations were not so high.

But here is the deal:
DEC1 FRA-CAI-CAN (+1)
DEC7 CAN-CAI-FRA (+1)
all in Z
For 1367EUR (!) (before the 200EUR travel credit)

That will get me 23k Awardmiles at LH (incl. Exec-Bonus) - not a bad ratio for that amount of money, and a great travel budget saver...

So if anybody is desperate for a deal (or needs status miles - could be relevant at this time of the year for some): Knock yourselves out.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:25 am

In terms of the fare/cost this is not bad, but why would you voluntarily fly MS?
Gino Troian and anniegray like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN since 2007
Originally Posted by scibuff
In terms of the fare/cost this is not bad, but why would you voluntarily fly MS?
simple: they were by far the cheapest for business class. The next cheapest was a premium economy with AF for 700EUR more. The cheapest business class was >3000EUR. I’d rather pocket the difference.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by scibuff
If you like to smoke, this is the perfect airline for you
anniegray likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Note that the £1,170 BA fare from BRU to PVG is still available.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:07 pm

Prefers1A that is a good price. From London to Cairo around December the EA fare is £1100. I use EA only when necessary for domestic flights in Egypt these days. The seats on the Boeing 777 300ER are more comfortable than BA's CW, in my opinion. The planes are far from 'bling' but staff attitude is good. I've flown all classes with EA - from Y to F - and have never had an issue with service. EA is a 'dry' airline which I tend not to patronise (if I have a choice). Given that airlines have been sending older stock to Cairo until quite recently, choice has been poor. There are still issues with plane choices.
prefers1a likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
I have flown MS and, at least on those flights, no one smoked (and I am pretty darn sensitive to the smell).
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
If Frankfurt is a convenient airport and you want to get to China, this is a good fare. It might even fit the definition of a mileage run for some.

The lazy stereotyping of Egyptair is silly.

Originally Posted by AnaTravel
Prefers1A that is a good price. From London to Cairo around December the EA fare is £1100. I use EA only when necessary for domestic flights in Egypt these days. The seats on the Boeing 777 300ER are more comfortable than BA's CW, in my opinion. The planes are far from 'bling' but staff attitude is good. I've flown all classes with EA - from Y to F - and have never had an issue with service. EA is a 'dry' airline which I tend not to patronise (if I have a choice). Given that airlines have been sending older stock to Cairo until quite recently, choice has been poor. There are still issues with plane choices.
European routes to and from Cairo have suffered badly in terms of equipment and schedule, often leaving MS the best choice of carrier.
I get that not being able to drink alcohol onboard can be a trial for some, but for most of us comfort, service and arrival/departure times are more important than booze. Oh, and price, too!

[Geeky pedant hat ON]

The conventional shorthand reference to Egyptair is its IATA code, MS.
EA is the code for Kabul-based and recently-folded East Horizon Airlines.

[Geeky pedant hat OFF]
AnaTravel and prefers1a like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
[Geeky pedant hat ON]

The conventional shorthand reference to Egyptair is its IATA code, MS.
EA is the code for Kabul-based and recently-folded East Horizon Airlines.

[Geeky pedant hat OFF]
IAN-UK - the poster’s use of EA had me scrambling to Google it, to understand which airline was being referred to, so please don’t characterise yourself as a geeky pedant.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:28 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Please remember that some folks choose MS specifically because they are dry. For some it is an inconvenience, for some an adventage. I have an a colleague who cannot drink booze for health reasons and prefers to fly with MS and SV, so he is not tempted...Different needs, different solutions...
ElJudioErrante and prefers1a like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:33 am

Thanks, Ian. I have to confess that I was using abbreviation with no regard whatsoever for the IATA code. I take your point and will attempt to be more geeky on FT (is that the right shorthand?). It's not a trial to fly without a gin and tonic. It's simply a preference to avoid 'dry' airlines. Non-alcohol drinkers are free to abstain on the majority of airlines that serve it. I'm free to choose an airline that suits my preferences. My point above was that flying MS in J is not a hardship in terms of comfort given the limited options. I agree on value for money. Hopefully, in future, Cairo will be a much busier destination with enough demand to encourage airlines to offer more choice.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by AnaTravel
Hopefully, in future, Cairo will be a much busier destination with enough demand to encourage airlines to offer more choice.
While I agree with your wishes, in terms of 'hardware' Cairo is a fine airport. Especially the new terminal. The frustrating part is the mindset of the ground staff, which I think is hard to change. Let's wish for it. And enjoy your flights!
AnaTravel and ristasm like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: AF Plat Ultimate, BA GGL, MS Elite
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
For the last 12 months I've logged 28 flights with MS all in J and accumulated over 360 000 miles with MS FFP. Yes MS is nowhere near a cutting edge airline. Their lounges in CAI are bad. Onboard I can't complain abt the food nor the crew. On my last BKK trip 2 weeks ago back to CAI I had a great meal and outstanding crew.

To answer you, I never noticed anything like that.

Sea bass for breakfast ! You would not bet it's MS !
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
I flew AMS-CAI-BKK return in biz with MS.

I can concur, the food was really good, lots of fresh options, much fresher than LX, LH or UA. And the crew was super friendly.
No, the seats don't recline all the way, but enough to sleep.
And yes, the lounges in CAI suck, the worst I've been in.
No alcohol on board, but I wasn't bothered by that, plenty of tasty non-alcoholic beverages
As long as you don't have a long layover in CAI, and the price is good, I'd do it again. It only credits 100% to UA though...
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: LH M+M
Last time I checked, MS wont yield ExecBonus on status miles. Just saying..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.