Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

United (Air Canada): YVR-TPE Business/Polaris $2,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United (Air Canada): YVR-TPE Business/Polaris $2,000

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Great find!

Also available from YYZ for $167 more. The reward would be lie flat all the way.
Looking in Oct ( but seeing for other months as well) the best price from YYZ seems to be CAD 3727.00.
Not bad, but certainly not great. Where do you see better pricing than that?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevino
Thanks! In that case, I suppose booking flights furthest into the future would increase the chances of getting a plane updated with new Polaris seats?
That seems reasonable, yes.

Originally Posted by kevino
In the event we are stuck with the old 772 seats, how do you think UA will decide who from business class gets comp. upgraded to the first class cabin (since first class seats are not being sold for these flights)?
Originally Posted by windhund
I've seen them go to airline employees eligible for positive-space bookings and elites, which I presume is prioritized by status and fare class.
I believe that you can waitlist with miles + copay or a GPU for the J -> F upgrade even though they're no longer selling F; they'll process those at the gate. Otherwise, if J is oversold, they'd go by status and then fare class, and if J is not oversold, the F seats would go out empty / be available for non-revs.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
As a side note: this is very strange that UA is attacking AC's hub one year after AC launched it's own direct YVRTPE service.
Not that strange, UA regularly has cheap ex-YYZ fares to PEK and to SIN once in a while. AC does the same from UA hubs.

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Looking in Oct ( but seeing for other months as well) the best price from YYZ seems to be CAD 3727.00.
Not bad, but certainly not great. Where do you see better pricing than that?
That's because the fare is not valid in Oct.
Code:
PERMITTED 22JUN 18 THROUGH 04SEP 18 OR 15DEC 18 THROUGH
10JAN 19 OR 01FEB 19 THROUGH 28FEB 19 ON THE OUTBOUND
TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
I'd classify this more as "up in the air." UA only has something like 3 routes listed for the 77W post-Oct., despite having 17 or 18 of them at the time. And they've got the first 772 retrofit in service and are planning to have them updated at a rate of about 3 per month by the summer.

In other words, no promises, but there's at least a decent chance you'd get the new seat on SFO-TPE even beyond mid-October. However, SFO-HKG is one of the routes that's still listed for the 77W, and you can route this fare via HKG (then HX to TPE), so that's an option too.

Also, @markmho: This fare allows one stopover in each direction in Area 3 for C$100 and has a 12-hour minimum turnaround time at the destination. So, if you're willing to spend the night in TPE, you shouldn't need to purchase a TPE-HKG ticket separately. Now, having said that, I've had a difficult time getting this to price properly -- it kept adding a stop in NRT in order to get the lower fare -- but it finally worked when I forced the fare. You might be able to get UA to price it if you call them and feed them the fare information, or perhaps you can get it to come up on an OTA.

Results

Thanks Jason!! This is very helpful. it makes the deal more applicable to me now.
Do you mind if I ask what tool you used to generate these results? expertflyer?

Last edited by markmho; Apr 26, 2018 at 10:14 am
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by markmho
Thanks Jason!! This is very helpful. it makes the deal more applicable to me now.
Do you mind if I ask what tool you used to generate these results? expertflyer?
Happy to help. The screenshots are from matrix.itasoftware.com. I used ExpertFlyer to look up the fare rules so I would know what to ask the ITA Matrix for, but ExpertFlyer doesn't include a pricing engine, so I use the Matrix to see if it would auto-price. In this case, I had to force the fare -- that's what the f ua.YVR+TPE.PKX4WDM1 command does. (If the fare didn't work for that itinerary, it'd return a 'no results found' message). Put together, this search says "find me flights from YVR to HKG, then from HKG to TPE, and then from TPE to YVR, all of which use the UA fare PKX4WDM1 filed between YVR and TPE."
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:33 am

Happy to help. The screenshots are from matrix.itasoftware.com. I used ExpertFlyer to look up the fare rules so I would know what to ask the ITA Matrix for, but ExpertFlyer doesn't include a pricing engine, so I use the Matrix to see if it would auto-price. In this case, I had to force the fare -- that's what the f ua.YVR+TPE.PKX4WDM1 command does. (If the fare didn't work for that itinerary, it'd return a 'no results found' message). Put together, this search says "find me flights from YVR to HKG, then from HKG to TPE, and then from TPE to YVR, all of which use the UA fare PKX4WDM1 filed between YVR and TPE."
I really appreciate it! I didn't know google has something like this, very cool! I will spend some time play around that and I'm going to subscribe the premium membership from EF.
It would be nice if the return flight could be HKG - YVR just like the first leg, but I guess it would have to hit TPE at some point to active the farecode. Because now I need to get a round trip tix SFO - YVR. I will have check bags and I dont think I can short check to SFO on the way back. But this is a good example for me to get into the game. I don't travel that often as you guys I guess, only couple times a year and mainly international. But it feels good if I can help out fellow FTers or friends like you do to me.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Because now I need to get a round trip tix SFO - YVR. I will have check bags and I dont think I can short check to SFO on the way back. But this is a good example for me to get into the game. I don't travel that often as you guys I guess, only couple times a year and mainly international. But it feels good if I can help out fellow FTers or friends like you do to me.
Well you'll have to collect your bags at customs at SFO anyways, so technically you can just leave the airport after. As an added safe measure, you can book yourself on AC SFO-YVR, that way it will be harder for UA to track you as a no-show for your last segment.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888
Well you'll have to collect your bags at customs at SFO anyways, so technically you can just leave the airport after. As an added safe measure, you can book yourself on AC SFO-YVR, that way it will be harder for UA to track you as a no-show for your last segment.
This is very good to know! it will make the situation a lot easier.
I was able to replicate the booking that Jsloan gave. But do you know how I can alter that to make the last leg on AC?
On the side note, I'm actually also planning to spend couple days in Japan(KIX ideally), not sure if I can leverage this deal.

This is my tentative schedule.
12/19/2018: YVR - SFO - HKG
12/21 - 12/26: Planing to spend couple days during this period in Japan
1/5/2019: HKG - TPE
1/7/2019: TPE-SFO-YVR

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:26 am

I was able to replicate the booking that Jsloan gave. But do you know how I can alter that to make the last leg on AC?
On the side note, I'm actually also planning to spend couple days in Japan(KIX ideally), not sure if I can leverage this deal.

Thanks in advance!
I'm able to change the last leg on AC metal now. Thanks for the advice, hirohito888.

Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Seems AA already matched with fare rule IKX48DN1, same price CAD2530 from YYZ or CAD2250 from YVR.
Sample:

Code:
     AL FLGT  BK   DATE  TIME  FARE BASIS      NVB  NVA   BG                    
 YTO                                                                            
XDFW AA  1169 I    02JUL 0700  IKX48DN1             02JAN 2P                    
XHKG AA   125 I    02JUL 1050  IKX48DN1             02JAN 2P                    
 TPE CX   470 I    03JUL 1745  IKX48DN1             02JAN 2P                    
XHKG CX   469 I    09JUL 1000  IKX48DN1             02JAN 2P                    
XDFW AA   126 I    09JUL 1430  IKX48DN1             02JAN 2P                    
 YTO AA  2804 I    09JUL 1826  IKX48DN1             02JAN 2P                    

CAD  2626.00      02JUL18YTO AA X/E/DFW Q15.00AA X/HKG Q                        
USD  2046.00      33.00CX TPE M1265.00CX X/HKG AA X/E/DFW Q                     
USD    20.19CA    33.00AA YTO Q15.00 M1265.00CAD2626.00END                      
USD    11.30YC    XT USD 7.92XA USD 14.00XY USD 28.68YR USD                     
USD   160.02XT    2.53RC USD 19.48SQ USD 11.20AY USD 43.33G3                    
USD  2237.51      USD 11.48I5 USD 16.90TW USD 4.50XF DFW4.50
One can issue this ticket in CX stock to get tons of EQD, 24% of distance flown?

Last edited by gokeeper; Apr 26, 2018 at 12:18 pm
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
At the moment CA also has great fares ex-YYZ to PVG/SHA/FOC/CAN (PEK-SHA can be on 748 front or upper deck).

Just booked YYZ-Shanghai for $2000 USD for June 2018, exchange rate has been slightly more favorable for USD at the moment.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hirohito888
I second being careful with this - over on the UA thread, someone received a termination warning plus an invoice from United after being caught doing dropped segment trips multiple times. Always book the dropped segment on a partner, and if flying home to an alternate destination (ie wanting SFO-DFW instead of SFO-YVR), book your home segment on a completely different airline like AA or DL and make sure you leave lots and lots of time padding. Even better, when NH was matching this fare, it was better to ticket on NH YVR-SEA/SFO/LAX-NRT-TPE then TPE-SFO-YVR (if you wanted Polaris vs extra miles) so UA wouldn't have ownership of the ticket at all, and less likely to care about dropped segments.

I had this TPE deal booked, but since my final destination is actually HKG, and I wanted a couple days in Tokyo on the way home, I ended up canceling and booking California-HKG in W with a GPU and then P on the way home from NRT back to California and left YVR off completely for just a little more than this original ticket plus my TPE-HKG-TPE ticket and extra hotel nights. Glad to see the fare may be around until Sept because I know I will need to go back to TPE anyway and I'll just do the whole thing via YVR since it's very cheap and easy to fly SFO-YVR then back to LAX the same day.

This fare pops up rather frequently during the year and because of it, I left 6 GPUs on the table last year, unused!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks in advance!
You could potentially go YVR - SFO - KIX, then KIX - TPE (overnight) - HKG, then HKG-SFO-YVR. This works because you're taking a stopover in each direction (considering TPE to be the "destination"). You won't be able to go to HKG before and after KIX.

Note that you should be allowed a 24 hour transfer at SFO on the way back. In the case of an overnight transfer, UA would short-check your bag per policy. It won't make much difference, since you can claim-and-walk-away anyhow, but it might make you feel better.

One thing to keep in mind when considering hidden-city ticketing is that UA doesn't have an obligation to deliver you to SFO, but rather to YVR. This is most relevant if there is IRROPS -- a bad storm or mechanical delay or something. UA would be justified in putting you on an AC flight to YVR, since that's your ticketed destination. I'm not saying it will necessarily happen, but it's a potential risk that you should weigh against everything else. Adding the overnight transfer may confuse UA's systems into treating SFO as a stopover -- even though it technically isn't -- and may prevent reroutings that you won't particularly want.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:12 pm

You could potentially go YVR - SFO - KIX, then KIX - TPE (overnight) - HKG, then HKG-SFO-YVR. This works because you're taking a stopover in each direction (considering TPE to be the "destination"). You won't be able to go to HKG before and after KIX.

Note that you should be allowed a 24 hour transfer at SFO on the way back. In the case of an overnight transfer, UA would short-check your bag per policy. It won't make much difference, since you can claim-and-walk-away anyhow, but it might make you feel better.

One thing to keep in mind when considering hidden-city ticketing is that UA doesn't have an obligation to deliver you to SFO, but rather to YVR. This is most relevant if there is IRROPS -- a bad storm or mechanical delay or something. UA would be justified in putting you on an AC flight to YVR, since that's your ticketed destination. I'm not saying it will necessarily happen, but it's a potential risk that you should weigh against everything else. Adding the overnight transfer may confuse UA's systems into treating SFO as a stopover -- even though it technically isn't -- and may prevent reroutings that you won't particularly want.
That will be very nice. I can go to KIX first before heading back to HKG.
I tried to generate a tix base on what you recommended but it doesn't work. Could you please help me take a look if I miss anything? Thanks Jsloan!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by gokeeper
Seems AA already matched with fare rule IKX48DN1, same price CAD2530 from YYZ or CAD2250 from YVR.
Sample:

Code:
AL FLGT BK DATE TIME FARE BASIS NVB NVA BG
YTO
XDFW AA 1169 I 02JUL 0700 IKX48DN1 02JAN 2P
XHKG AA 125 I 02JUL 1050 IKX48DN1 02JAN 2P
TPE CX 470 I 03JUL 1745 IKX48DN1 02JAN 2P
XHKG CX 469 I 09JUL 1000 IKX48DN1 02JAN 2P
XDFW AA 126 I 09JUL 1430 IKX48DN1 02JAN 2P
YTO AA 2804 I 09JUL 1826 IKX48DN1 02JAN 2P

CAD 2626.00 02JUL18YTO AA X/E/DFW Q15.00AA X/HKG Q
USD 2046.00 33.00CX TPE M1265.00CX X/HKG AA X/E/DFW Q
USD 20.19CA 33.00AA YTO Q15.00 M1265.00CAD2626.00END
USD 11.30YC XT USD 7.92XA USD 14.00XY USD 28.68YR USD
USD 160.02XT 2.53RC USD 19.48SQ USD 11.20AY USD 43.33G3
USD 2237.51 USD 11.48I5 USD 16.90TW USD 4.50XF DFW4.50

One can issue this ticket in CX stock to get tons of EQD, 24% of distance flown?
I'm seeing lots of availability on JAL too, although I think their transpacific seat is not fully flat. But if it works and you need one world miles, I'm seeing $1900 RT in December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.