Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

DL: YVR-NRT r/t in J for US$1,590

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL: YVR-NRT r/t in J for US$1,590

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Fantastic, but wish UA would match from West Coast. YVR is a pleasant enough airport but no desire to stop there
Old May 25, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
If you get some dates to show up on Google Flights that you like, try to just plug them straight in to Delta and then sort by DTW-only for connections. The first few times through I had the same issue before it would finally take. The return flight gave me a ton of problems on a lot of my preferred dates but I finally mixed and matched enough to get a few different itineraries I liked.

I've never done a positioning from the US to Canada for a flight that then transits back through the US so I'm not sure how customs and immigration will be. I don't believe you can stay air side so I assume I'll need to clear Canadian customs upon the arrival of my positioning flight, then pre-clear US customs in Toronto for the transit to Detroit which should mean no additional customs in DTW for the flight on to NRT. I'll probably just position the morning before anyway since that is a 0615 flight.

My June itinerary has a 70 minute connection in DTW on the way back though which seems awfully tight even though MCT is 60 for connections to Canada. If I cancel that one and just fly in August, it is a 6 hour layover so not really a big deal, would just need to do the reverse of before with one extra customs stop in there since I'm sure I'd need to do US customs on arrival to DTW, Canadian customs on arrival to YYZ and then pre-clear again for the return part of my positioning flight. I think it just sounds a bit more daunting than it actually is. I do have Global Entry so that should speed things up a bit.
You are correct - YVR is not set up for US-US connections as they are technically cabotage. You'll need to exit landslide and then renter the US terminal. Fortunately, that process is usually pretty efficient.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
If you get some dates to show up on Google Flights that you like, try to just plug them straight in to Delta and then sort by DTW-only for connections. The first few times through I had the same issue before it would finally take. The return flight gave me a ton of problems on a lot of my preferred dates but I finally mixed and matched enough to get a few different itineraries I liked.

I've never done a positioning from the US to Canada for a flight that then transits back through the US so I'm not sure how customs and immigration will be. I don't believe you can stay air side so I assume I'll need to clear Canadian customs upon the arrival of my positioning flight, then pre-clear US customs in Toronto for the transit to Detroit which should mean no additional customs in DTW for the flight on to NRT. I'll probably just position the morning before anyway since that is a 0615 flight.

My June itinerary has a 70 minute connection in DTW on the way back though which seems awfully tight even though MCT is 60 for connections to Canada. If I cancel that one and just fly in August, it is a 6 hour layover so not really a big deal, would just need to do the reverse of before with one extra customs stop in there since I'm sure I'd need to do US customs on arrival to DTW, Canadian customs on arrival to YYZ and then pre-clear again for the return part of my positioning flight. I think it just sounds a bit more daunting than it actually is. I do have Global Entry so that should speed things up a bit.
If you haven't booked your positioning flight yet, or you have and it's refundable, you might look into flying to DTW and then driving to YYZ, if you have time. It's about a 4hr. drive, and fares are generally cheaper to DTW. I've done this twice and with GE you can use the Nexus lane at the bridge border crossing.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
I don't know the latest update on when the A350 is coming online in DTW, but think there's any possibility that folks who booked through DTW will get the A350 D1 Suite instead of the 747?

Both are great options, but it would be a steal to fly in the A350 D1 Suite for $1500 all-in.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Ugh. This probably means my global upgrade certificates in August won't clear. Err.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
AC YYZ - TYO Non-stop rtn P Class $2110 USD, $2847 CAD
Old May 25, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by bj27
I don't know the latest update on when the A350 is coming online in DTW, but think there's any possibility that folks who booked through DTW will get the A350 D1 Suite instead of the 747?

Both are great options, but it would be a steal to fly in the A350 D1 Suite for $1500 all-in.
Delta made it clear that the A350 will not carry difference pricing. There would be no difference in fare. I would take Reverse Herringbone ANYDAY over the cramped looking suites. I have no purpose to have a door on my seat. Foot space and Bed Width.. 2 more important!!
Old May 25, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by BenA
You are correct - YVR is not set up for US-US connections as they are technically cabotage. You'll need to exit landslide and then renter the US terminal. Fortunately, that process is usually pretty efficient.
I figured it is one of those things that sounds way more obnoxious than it actually will be. In a perfect world I'd arrive late the night before and just stay in the airport for the couple hours before the 0615 flight, but that might be risky on two separate tickets even though there is a later YYZ-DTW flight that would still work.

Originally Posted by arkangel
If you haven't booked your positioning flight yet, or you have and it's refundable, you might look into flying to DTW and then driving to YYZ, if you have time. It's about a 4hr. drive, and fares are generally cheaper to DTW. I've done this twice and with GE you can use the Nexus lane at the bridge border crossing.
I haven't yet but I'll definitely take a look. I'm not 100% sure where I'll be positioning from yet. If it is FLL, AC has a couple direct flights a day FLL-YYZ that are usually pretty cheap one way and I know American and Delta both have very cheap one way options though it would require a connection.

Now if I could skip that last DTW-YYZ leg without penalty and avoid the need for a hotel and a second customs check plus pre-clearance, positioning to DTW and driving over for the outbound sounds like a great idea.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
I figured it is one of those things that sounds way more obnoxious than it actually will be. In a perfect world I'd arrive late the night before and just stay in the airport for the couple hours before the 0615 flight, but that might be risky on two separate tickets even though there is a later YYZ-DTW flight that would still work.

I haven't yet but I'll definitely take a look. I'm not 100% sure where I'll be positioning from yet. If it is FLL, AC has a couple direct flights a day FLL-YYZ that are usually pretty cheap one way and I know American and Delta both have very cheap one way options though it would require a connection.

Now if I could skip that last DTW-YYZ leg without penalty and avoid the need for a hotel and a second customs check plus pre-clearance, positioning to DTW and driving over for the outbound sounds like a great idea.
If you don't have any checked bags you could do this. However, I was planning to do the same this summer, until I learned that DL has instituted a new policy that, when flying international to international, your checked bags will be tagged to the last international destination. No picking them up at DTW after clearing customs and then rechecking, or just leaving the airport.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:02 pm

If you don't have any checked bags you could do this. However, I was planning to do the same this summer, until I learned that DL has instituted a new policy that, when flying international to international, your checked bags will be tagged to the last international destination. No picking them up at DTW after clearing customs and then rechecking, or just leaving the airport.
Damn, really? Well that does limit my options. I'm hoping I can get away without a checked bag as I'll probably jump over to Shanghai or Hong Kong for a few days in the middle of this trip and don't want to deal with it, but it will also be the start of three weeks on the road. Would DL get suspicious, or even care, if I had a one way out of DTW the same day of travel as NRT-DTW-YYZ? I get into DTW at 1439 and there are a couple very convenient nonstops from DTW back. Would cost less than a night stay at the YYZ Sheraton.

Got a couple months to figure it out since I think I'm going to stick with that late August reservation. Been hoping a DTW-NRT 747 route would go on sale all year since I've never flown upper deck, and I've also never actually left the Tokyo airport. Can't do much better than $1893 from North America to Asia in J, 747 or not.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by BenA
I haven't booked the positioning flight yet, but planning to come from the US and then connect to the US for this flight. No checked bags. Will I still need to exit and re-enter, or can I just stay airside?
Old May 26, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
These seem to have gone up a bit. Not seeing a lot for under 2K, google flights has some that are around ~1800 for a week stay
Old May 26, 2017, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

I've originated out of YYZ several times. I've never had any issues, but I always exit and drive home. It's easier to just drive up -- three hours from Detroit as opposed to a 40-minute flight that will then require you being at DTW 90 minutes before the flight. The Courtyard Marriott at YYZ in Toronto has up to 8 days free parking with the regular rate.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by bretthexum
These seem to have gone up a bit. Not seeing a lot for under 2K, google flights has some that are around ~1800 for a week stay
Does look like the lowest is around $2900 CA/$2100 US now, which still seems pretty good though at $2100 the China Eastern fares from NYC may be better for some US based flyers, especially those crediting to DL.

I'm really tempted by the China Eastern JFK fare since that would all but take care of MQD for the year but I'm sure that fare will be around a while.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond, MAR&HLT Gold, Wyndham Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
Is this possible with checked bags at MSP? Am thinking of doing the same. Have a 6h 45 layover on HND-MSP-YYZ on return. Need to transit back to NYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.