Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Server
OCTOBER 2016 UPDATE

LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions, effective October 2016, now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.

1. Same day turns possible on the E-jets and morning 738s.

2. Bonuses now based on fare paid.

3. As of OCTOBER 2016, best fares are now around $1000. Fare tends to rise a few hundred for 2 pax. Fares can also occasionally rise for no discernible reason, but the price spikes have thus far proven to be temporary. Fares have the trend to drop during the year. Keep checking for fares in the $700-$800 ranges for best possible pricing.

4. Airport hotels with shuttles - Crowne Plaza Panama Airport & Riande Aeropuerto. The CP is slightly closer; the Riande is slightly nicer. The CP shuttle leaves the hotel every :00 and :30 and runs 24 hours but they seem to leave a few minutes early as it had left when I went down at 4:00AM on the dot. Also, note UberX charges a US$14 surcharge on top of the ~US$2 fare. CP has poor sound isolation, I could hear my neighbors on both sides including talking, crying baby etc. Had to wear earplugs to sleep.

5. Lounges:

Please refer to this thread for more detailed and accurate information on lounge access in general: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1656378-help-desk-will-i-have-lounge-access-access-rules-2016-a.html
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. PTY is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from PTY unless booking transcons since PTY is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the PTY flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Technically NONE (PTY under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from PTY. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from PTY on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
PTY - No lounge access (Copa with PP, or for a fee, for 7am or later flights)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)

6. PTY Customs:
Inbound to PTY -
  • 12 noon - no lines reported
  • 8PM Fri (5/27/16) - ~10 min line

Outbound to MIA -
  • 4:40am - no lines reported
7. Finding flights:

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

If you want the transcon bonus, enter the search with a connection in JFK. (e.g. LAX-JFK,JFK-MIA,MIA-PTY,PTY-JFK,JFK-SFO.) You can play around from there to get the best deal. Some of the better deals do not start and end in the same city (e.g. start in LAX, end in SFO may be cheaper than start/end in LAX).

Also, it's possible on the outbound portion to time it so you have no more than a 60-minute layover at JFK or MIA (though note that some of these flights aren't available on weekends). While yes, JFK is notorious for delays, this rarely applies for inbound red-eye flights. Also, note that AA 28 below is sometimes "hidden" if you're looking on Google Flights inside a much more expensive trip; that does not necessarily mean, however, that you can't get it for one of the trips under $1,000 (in other words, try it out to see).

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

Below is the shortest-possible outbound itinerary that has the LAX-JFK transcon on AA's A321T with flat-bed seats:

LAX-JFK on AA 28
10:45pm - 7:22am

JFK-MIA on AA 200
8:15am - 11:24am
(Note: AA has now switched all of the metal it used on this leg - on all JFK-MIA nonstops - to 757s instead of the 767s with international-style F & J seating.)***767 and 772 are back. Flight 200 is a 772**

MIA-PTY on AA 4434
12:33pm - 2:48pm
(Note: Even more distressingly, AA switched from using a 737 on this leg to an RJ, presumably because summer is off-peak season in Central America. The 6:05pm flight still uses a 737 if a full-size aircraft is a must.)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by poppabear
In my experience (I tried several ways to do this on AA.com, Expedia, Google), you will not be able to book those flts on one PNR because AA will not accept the connection due to less than minimum connecting time, even though it is the same aircraft. Booking two one ways defeats the fare deal. Nested r/t's risks not being able to check in for the PTY departure prior to arrival in PTY for which you probably won't have time to meet the 60 min prior requirement. I'd luv to hear other experiences with this.
We do this every few months, and it's no problem. Obviously, no check in bags, and print the boarding pass at the MIA lounge. Actually, tomorrow is departure day from YVR. Give me about 24 hours and you can have a live report.

Just checked my itinerary, booked from AA.com, and my turnaround is 54 minutes.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by The_Just
Love the Qantas Lounge in LAX. About the Admirals Club in terminal D with F/C Dining….thats a joke. They sandwich you in this room with tiny tables and no windows. And no showers. And no good booze. There's another Admirals Club in terminal C thats way better. It has showers are decent booze and is generally just nicer. Just take the tram. Its at gate C19. You should get two free drink coupons.

As a footnote the JAL 1st Class lounge in Narita is now my fav.
The FC dining at DFW is a new service compared to nothing before. Although It's not comparable to the FL in LAX, ORD & JFK. As for the shower, it is always available in all DFW Admirals Clubs. In MIA, the Oneworld Premium Lounge is my place to go when traveling international.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by blueslip
... In MIA, the Oneworld Premium Lounge is my place to go when traveling international.
I believe the restriction there is your AA flight must be departing out of E to use the O* Premium Lounge.

I think the PTY flight is always out of D so no help for this trip. Correct?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by xdaniel
You're mixing apples and oranges.
EQM's have nothing to do with status. You get 1 EQM per mile flown in economy and 2 EQMs / mile flown in business and first.
As for RDMs those are still based on miles flown until 'second half of 2016'. Presumably until July. Until then you're getting 1 mile per mile flown, plus bonuses for business class flights that vary by distance and route, plus status bonuses should you have a status. 50% for gold and 100% for Plat and EXP
Unless AA website is completely wrong that cant be right. EQM's count towards status there is no EQP's anymore.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/p...antage2016.jsp
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Now that lots of people have done this run, wondering what people think are the best lounges for EXP/Emeralds?

Here is what I think... (Feel free to correct/update)

LAX - Flagship Lounge (shorter), Qantas First (longer)
SFO - Admiral's Club
JFK - Flagship Lounge
MIA - Admiral's Club
PTY - Nothing for early flight
YVR - ?? Because we are heading to PTY later in day, can we use CX Lounge?
DFW - Admiral's Club with F/C Dining

Please feel free to make other suggestions/recommendations.

For those PP holders, there is the COPA lounge in PTY (open for the 7am flight at least), and a lounge on the US-Departures side in YVR.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by slylust
Unless AA website is completely wrong that cant be right. EQM's count towards status there is no EQP's anymore.

Of course EQM's count towards earning status. That's why they are called Elite Qualifying Miles. But your current status or lack there off has NO impact on how they are earned.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: W/P1.9MM & Charter+ DL Diamond 2.15MM, AA EXP 1.95MM, AS MVP .6MM, O/P .9MM, A/C & S/C
Originally Posted by 47Chits
We do this every few months, and it's no problem. Obviously, no check in bags, and print the boarding pass at the MIA lounge. Actually, tomorrow is departure day from YVR. Give me about 24 hours and you can have a live report.

Just checked my itinerary, booked from AA.com, and my turnaround is 54 minutes.
I just tried to book MIA-PTY-MIA arr PTY 1154, dpt 1252 same aircraft 58 min turn, not acceptable conn time; arr PTY 1427, dpt 1540 same aircraft 73 min turn, ok.

site says 60 min min conn time.

Enjoy your tour of Panama
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:49 pm

What is the most number of trips that anyone has done for this deal?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Why no access to the CX lounge? According O* rules, we should have access given same day travel to PTY & SFO/LAX-JFK.

Anyone try it?

More information...

Looking at the CX website for YVR lounge access...
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ails.YVR.html#

It says "Please refer to the detailed information for Lounge Admittance." Upon clicking it gives the standard access rules with no exceptions. (There are exceptions for London and Frankfurt arrival lounge.)
The CX (and BA lounge as well as the marginally better Plaza Premium) lounge is in the international section of the airport which is segregated from the domestic (Canada) and US departures sections. In the US departures sections there's only a Plaza Premium (Priority Pass and AmEx Platinum, at least, but maybe other ways to enter too) lounge.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by absoluy
The CX (and BA lounge as well as the marginally better Plaza Premium) lounge is in the international section of the airport which is segregated from the domestic (Canada) and US departures sections. In the US departures sections there's only a Plaza Premium (Priority Pass and AmEx Platinum, at least, but maybe other ways to enter too) lounge.
That makes sense - CX passengers stopping on the way to USA do not clear in Canada. (FWIW - There is also a Maple Leaf lounge in the USA section, but that does not help us either.) I think my original list of best lounges stands, assuming people do not have other lounge memberships.

SFO - Admiral's Club
JFK - Flagship Lounge
MIA - Admiral's Club
PTY - No lounge access (Copa for a fee for later flights)
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
That makes sense - CX passengers stopping on the way to USA do not clear in Canada. (FWIW - There is also a Maple Leaf lounge in the USA section, but that does not help us either.) I think my original list of best lounges stands, assuming people do not have other lounge memberships.

SFO - Admiral's Club
JFK - Flagship Lounge
MIA - Admiral's Club
I would add in the Centurion lounges in MIA, SFO and DFW as being good alternative options too, if you have a platinum card (or any AmEx and a long enough layover to justify the $50 admission... which is difficult if you have Admirals' clubs as an alternative). The SFO lounge is in a different terminal so you'd need a two hour connection to have a comfortable amount of time to get food and drinks and make it back through security.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Alright, let me try to make this as simple and clear as possible. I'm only going to look @ EQM.

RDM on this route is trickier with status, elite bonuses, promos based on fare class, etc. And I don't have the patience to detail that all out at the moment. There are plenty of threads with info on that.

EQM
These flights book into A & I fares, so discount biz. According to the earning table , this gets you 2.0 EQM per miles flown.

Base miles for LAX-PTY thru JFK is 9,432. So one RT flight from LAX-PTY is discount biz is 9,432 base miles x 2.0 = 18,864 EQM. And here's a link to show base miles, so you understand how that came to be.

You connecting flights to YVR are either 2,681 base miles without status, or 2,811 with elite status due to the 500 mile minimum on the LAX-PHX leg. Take that and multiply by 2.0 for discount biz, and you'll get your EQMs.

So total EQM w/ status (only affects LAX-PHX leg):
Base MR (LAX-PTY) = 18,864EQM
x 2 trips
37,728 EQM
+ YVR flights (5,622 EQM) (alter based on status or not)
43,350 EQM

I hope that helps. As you can see, I laid the itinerary out in pieces that are easily related to for this thread (e.g. not jumbling the connecting flights into it). I also added links for the different calculations to help the person reading it check the math, rather than having to click on an itinerary, detail out the flights, and then go type it out themselves. And I did the calculations in base miles + multiplier, then added the pieces together - as opposed to just typing the final answer into the post and hoping people can figure out how I calculated it (right or wrong). I would highly recommend doing something similar in the future if trying to get help with any detailed questions or calculation. The more information you can provide in a clear, concise way, the better off you will be ^

Now, to your questions/comments:
The reason i didn't look into the early mileage run calculations is from my understanding. A lot has changed for AA since this thread was first started devaluations and what not since march 22 2016.
Your understanding is flawed. Nothing has changed for EQM earnings since January 27th when that initial EQM summary was posted. March 22 changed RDM award redemption values. Sometime around July will change RDM earnings. EQP went away at 2015 year-end, and EQM changed to reflect that.

Just from the example you have given me for someone with no status. It is 18864 EQM (x2 since i am doing the mileage with YVR twice) i am coming 5368 EQM short highly doubt 2 YVR runs will make that up, unless i am completely off on my calculations.
Furthermore on RDM i am only getting 13k after doing 2 runs while your example gets 17k just on 1 MR.
Short of what?

AA website isn't wrong. And that post wasn't wrong. They didn't mention EQPs at all, I think you maybe interpreted it that way...
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by blueslip
The FC dining at DFW is a new service compared to nothing before. Although It's not comparable to the FL in LAX, ORD & JFK. As for the shower, it is always available in all DFW Admirals Clubs. In MIA, the Oneworld Premium Lounge is my place to go when traveling international.
Ah yes, you are correct. There were showers but with a 2 hour wait. Personally I will just still to the lounge at C19 until they finish that one in D.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold

SFO - Admiral's Club
JFK - Flagship Lounge
MIA - Admiral's Club
Not sure why you have the Copa lounge as marked for later flights... I have gotten in on all 3 of my 7 am flights via PP.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: MVPG, SPGG, MRG, HHGold, Hyatt Explorist
Got denied today for entry into the LAX Flagship Lounge coming back from Panama City. Was told that my ticket from Panama City was "Business Class". No First Class available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.