Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Service Culture

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:32 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
I'm not sure who gets to name agencies in government, but they must have a narrow field of vision. I don't think Transportation Security Administration is counter-intuitive, but it sure has an almost kneejerk quality to it. Does TSA "administer" transportation security? Some might say it does. To me, the entire purpose of the agency is to make flying safe.
Well that is more the purview of the FAA.

The whole air industry and all the people it served went into a fetal position immediately after the World Trade Center disaster. Suddenly, it seemed like people thought there was no safety anywhere.
Really? What is your proof of that. I didn’t go into the fetal position; I thought I was safe.

The government infact dealt the economy a body blow by grounding aircraft.
Not really, again what is your proof of that. What exactly about the grounding of aircraft effected the economy post 11 Sep 2009 more than the closed and then tumbling stock market? What are your sources?

Granted, they hadn't a clue where the next strike would be.
This is also false.

But it seems to me the National Guard could have been called out to provide manpower for surveillance of air terminals.
Maybe you missed it while you were leaving your wife at the airport in Paris, but the Guard was used for airport security post 11 Sep 09.

That's all water under the bridge. I feel we should be well recovered from that moment, but I can't escape the feeling that the fear still stifles creativity. Complaining has become a national pastime.
This is non-sequitur to your “points” above and below. What is the purpose of this statement?

Anyway, I hate interminable complaining. I want productive problemsolving. And to me, it starts with refocusing on TSA's real mission. I'd say it justifies its expenditure by serving the traveling public. That's the single reason we support a budget and the intrusion into the flying experience. So we all are CLIENTS, not suspects.
We are not all clients. Trying to add business definitions to a feckless government organisation won’t work. The TSA’s goal is not make a product. But let us use your argument for a moment. What would be the metric used to measure the TSA’s performance? What is the balance sheet?

Just as a person at a teller's counter is a client, so a traveler at a security checkpoitn is a client. The officer should be thinking they are serving a client, meeting that client's need.
This is irrelevant to the process, training, and aircraft security.
For example, securing aircraft doors, has done more to “prevent another 9-11 TM “ than any theatre at the checkpoint.

People stand in lines most places. It's part of 21st century life.
So people didn’t stand in lines the last 10,000 years? Again what does this tangent have to do with your point?
Its is how our lifestyle is possible since mass production is the basis of our living standard.
How has mass production, somehow linked to standing in lines(per your point above???) become the basis of our living standard. I would love to hear this. Please do me a favour and expound on that!

I think a service guru or two should be hired by TSA. My first thought was Tom Peters since he spent years focusing on little else. But he may have peers who are even better. The point is that TSA spends our money, and it is incumbent we get value plus convenience. Lines have already been attacked in several ways, which I like. I can precheck from my computer at home, just like practically all my banking is done that way. But I think the service potential is far from exhausted.
Online check-in has nothing to do with the TSA. It was and is implemented by airlines, and in certain situations is still not possible.
Now the PDA electronic boarding passes (like CO has at IAH, EWR, DCA etc) is in partnership with airlines. But many times the TSA cannot get it to function properly (shocking).

I've seen a revolution at my local post office. When their business started encountering serious competition, service at that outpost became more and more pleasant.
How can you link that to competition? I have been at post offices all over the US where this has been standard practice for 20 years, and I have been in others where they still don’t do it.

[quote] I'd stand in line for pickup of a parcel, and someone would call out that they'll take the slip and bring the item out. So I get OUT of the line and claim my parcel. And there's a list of other things I saw done which made it obvious that they were brainstorming the "service" which became part of their name.

I feel like writing a lot of letters to find out what is being done and suggest other things they can do. Instead of complaining, the clients ought to be suggesting how they'd like the service to work.
Okay instead of vagaries and tangential ramblings about non-sequitur niceties, share with us what kind of changes you would like to see.

I think this is a consumer friendly government, so maybe now the iron is hot.
really? Seriously, give us an example of that….

Ciao,
FH
Old Sep 26, 2009, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I think of culture at the TSA, I think of the bacteria on the floor at the magnetometer.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by n4zhg
I suspect that DHS has finally decided FT needs an active rebuttal.
Ya think?

Given the failure of PV to spread the gospel and control the discussion, it wouldn't surprise me if DHS sent forth more "active rebuttal" to places like FT.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Ya think?

Given the failure of PV to spread the gospel and control the discussion, it wouldn't surprise me if DHS sent forth more "active rebuttal" to places like FT.
Whether federal government employees or retained contractors tasked with such, the outcome is the same: attempted justification for government garbage.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 5:40 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
TSA works for the government. Customer service does not exist in the governmental world.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
I agree with your assessment just want to correct some facts.

The USPS is having a tough time because direct mail (junk mail) is down not because of email or UPS or FedEx.

The USPS is run like a private corporation. The only time it gets Federal money infused is when there is an unexpected emergency need. A good example would be when they had to buy anthrax detectors, the cost of those detectors pushed the USPS budget way over so Congress had to bail them out. Normally the USPS gets NO taxpayer money.
Let me correct your "facts" back. Junk mail is not down, at least from my
perspective. I get more junk mail today than I did in the past. The increase in the use of email and the fact that people pay bills online(I didn't mention this one in my first post) have caused the reduction in business for USPS. That is why USPS has removed thousands of mailboxes nationwide because of the decrease in letter mail. USPS still ships more packages than FedEx and UPS combined and, if you look at my first post, I didn't even mention either one as factors in the revenue loss at USPS.

If you looked at my first post, I stated that TSA should not be run as a private corporation. I, and most everyone else, already know that USPS is run like a private corporation. That is old news.

Lastly, I didn't state in my first post that USPS received taxpayer dollars. The comment I made related to what LuvAirFrance said about TSA and I asked her if she received "value plus convenience" from other taxpayer-funded security organizations like police organizations, FBI, and CBP.

You've taken several comments, I made, out of context and twisted the meaning to make your own point.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by QUERY
Let me correct your "facts" back. Junk mail is not down, at least from my
perspective. I get more junk mail today than I did in the past. The increase in the use of email and the fact that people pay bills online(I didn't mention this one in my first post) have caused the reduction in business for USPS. That is why USPS has removed thousands of mailboxes nationwide because of the decrease in letter mail. USPS still ships more packages than FedEx and UPS combined and, if you look at my first post, I didn't even mention either one as factors in the revenue loss at USPS.

If you looked at my first post, I stated that TSA should not be run as a private corporation. I, and most everyone else, already know that USPS is run like a private corporation. That is old news.

Lastly, I didn't state in my first post that USPS received taxpayer dollars. The comment I made related to what LuvAirFrance said about TSA and I asked her if she received "value plus convenience" from other taxpayer-funded security organizations like police organizations, FBI, and CBP.

You've taken several comments, I made, out of context and twisted the meaning to make your own point.
Sorry I should have been more clear, I was not correcting just you I was attempting to correct misinformation about the USPS. I have had similar discussions on this topic on several boards. I added the most common misconceptions and corrected them too.

If you have an increase in direct marketing you are one of the "lucky" ones. Most likely you have applied for credit, filled out a contest entry, or the DMV in your state is now selling information. (Never enter contests, they are almost always just a way to create a list to be sold)

Direct marketing mail is down about 50% from two years ago. Seeing how Direct mail make up the majority of the USPS's volume and revenue that loss is hurting them more than email or paying bills online. I would even hazard a guess that the revenue they lost on emails and bill paying has been made up on the increase in packages from online purchases.

If you are talking about the USPS removing the blue boxes as an indication of a reduction of First Class private correspondence I would have to agree. If you are talking about them closing small Post Offices to save money I have to go back to the reduction of direct mail.

Most people think the USPS gets taxpayer money as a matter of course and very few know the USPS is run as a "private" corporation. Most think of it as a subsidized entity like Amtrak or an agency like the DMV.

Sorry we got our wires crossed.

BTW if you want to reduce junk mail call the number that is printed on all pre-screened credit offers or visit their site https://www.optoutprescreen.com/ and visit https://www.dmachoice.org/ and have yourself removed from the lists. Note: DMA is an association of Direct Mailers, the members will honor the list suppressions but non-members are under no obligation to do so. But direct mailers do not want to waste postage and printing on people that will not buy. It is much better to have a smaller list with a better return rate.

Last edited by Trollkiller; Sep 27, 2009 at 3:00 am Reason: added some info / clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.