Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel with Tools - TSA Concerns?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by colevalleytim
I appreciate the advice on buying tools but you are not a professional, I am. with over 20 years of experience. And I won't use lousy tools, they are dangerous, inefficient and produce bad results even in skilled hands. If I were a chef worried about checking my "set-up", would you say get some knives at the local hardware store...

My original question was about security of the tools, TSA hassles at the airport etc.

So if someone has travelled with tools, post 9/11, please help me out.

Thanks again
Traveling with tools overseas is difficult, your going to have to prove your not working, your luggage will be heavy so you may get hit with fees, they may get stolen in transit, and security is going to ask questions. If all you are going to do is some minor repairs and assemble furniture you won't need $500 of professional tools, buy some inexpensive tools locally and leave them as a house warming gift which will be appreciated.

Your comparing apples and oranges, traveling with knives is easy since they are lightweight and take up little space, tools are heavier and take up more space. But I'm not saying anything that a professional such as yourself knows already.

Last edited by magellan315; Sep 1, 2009 at 9:24 am
Old Sep 4, 2009, 12:14 pm

Anybody have experience with traveling with tools in the US and the seven inch rule? Going to move an apartment out and will need a screwdriver and wrench. I do not want to waste time going to Sears to buy stuff I already have. Also do not want to check.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 12:17 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by biggs
Anybody have experience with traveling with tools in the US and the seven inch rule? Going to move an apartment out and will need a screwdriver and wrench. I do not want to waste time going to Sears to buy stuff I already have. Also do not want to check.
Break down the stuff you can break down so that everything is well under 7 inches. No hammers and smaller is better.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: nobody
My 10mm wrench (4in long) in my bag was confiscated by TSA a month ago. The night before the trip, I have to replace my car battery and I slip my wrench in my laptop bag afterwards. I forgot the whole thing until the X-ray scanner found it.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:04 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
My 10mm wrench (4in long) in my bag was confiscated by TSA a month ago. The night before the trip, I have to replace my car battery and I slip my wrench in my laptop bag afterwards. I forgot the whole thing until the X-ray scanner found it.
Sigh, they shouldn't have confiscated it, but since it was TSA....
Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:45 am

Update on my experience.

At RDU, TSA fondled the ziploc with my short tools in it. At LGA, it went through the xray without a second glance. But I needed some hex head wrenches but fortunately a helpful neighbor let me use some of his tools to dismantle the furniture.

What a change from the times when TSA confiscated my key chain bottle opener because it was a tool and "you might try to take the plane apart" with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.