Wiki Posts
Search

Hookah?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Hookah?

I have a medium sized hookah that I'm taking with me on a EWR-BOM-XXX-XXX flight. Should I anticipate any TSA scope creep nonsense about "paraphenalia" on this? (Yes, I actually use it for tobacco and that's what is in the case with it. In fact, it is brand new and unused in any event. I'd rather this not be a thread about weed. I just want to know if I should I expect any shenanigans at EWR!)

Thanks!

peace,
~Ben~
Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
The questions you need to ask yourself is, do you think the TSA is smart enough to know the difference, and do they have a history of trying to score what they consider “paraphernalia”.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N965VJ
The questions you need to ask yourself is, do you think the TSA is smart enough to know the difference, and do they have a history of trying to score what they consider “paraphernalia”.
I just use it for tobacco and wanted to take it with me for a week at a resort. Four well-trained pot dogs spending an hour sniffing me, my wife, and all of our belongs wouldn't catch a wiff of anything illegal.

Like you said, I just don't know what to anticipate with someone at the TSA who doesn't know the difference or doesn't care. Anyone have any experiences with this? Does TSA have a history trying to make a big deal out of stuff like hookahs?!? That's what I want to know!

Thanks!

FYI: It is this, when assembled. When in it's case, it is broken down into about 8 pieces.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:23 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
i would be prepared for questions from the tsa as you do realize that their primary focus is to catch illegal aliens, folks with bogus i/d's and druggies, right?

but seriously, if they see it (n.b. if), i would expect questions and allow for extra time if they get "uppity, pull out your "it is only used for tobacco and if you don't believe me, please (n.b. please) bring over any leo you would like along with a drug sniffing dog" speech and let it play out as you have nothing to hide.

now with all of that, make sure you have a tsa complaint form handy (thanks to ND SOL) and be prepared to take names and badge numbers "just in case" as my gut is telling me you're gonna get haSSSSled
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Is there any technical difference between a hookah and a bong?
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:56 pm

As goalie said, be preparred for quite a few questions. In most circles (at least here in the USA), something like that is known for a certain use. Not that it is or may be accurate, but there you have it.

BTW, none of the airports you listed are mine, and I would have known what it is. I also am a pipe smoker.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
i would be prepared for questions from the tsa as you do realize that their primary focus is to catch illegal aliens, folks with bogus i/d's and druggies, right?

but seriously, if they see it (n.b. if), i would expect questions and allow for extra time if they get "uppity, pull out your "it is only used for tobacco and if you don't believe me, please (n.b. please) bring over any leo you would like along with a drug sniffing dog" speech and let it play out as you have nothing to hide.

now with all of that, make sure you have a tsa complaint form handy (thanks to ND SOL) and be prepared to take names and badge numbers "just in case" as my gut is telling me you're gonna get haSSSSled
Considering that (a) drug sniffing dogs are wholly unreliable, and can likely be directed by their masters to alert where there are no drugs, and (b) field drug tests have even worse reliability records, I wouldn't recommend this. I have a feeling it would lead to a stay in a prison cell. Would make for an interesting lawsuit though.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Remember that when the TSA regularly fails its Red Team tests, they fail at detecting bomb components. Meaning, parts of a bomb in many different compartments they can't find.

Thus, I would suggest putting your device in several different pieces in other bags.

Now, not to blow things out of proportion, but if you're going to take this, be prepared to run into the "hero" screeners who will likely refer you to PANYNJ Cops.

Remember that the TSA's search, as mentioned by the Fofana ruling, is limited to an administrative search that is directly involves airline safety.

I could elaborate more, but I think you'd be better off not taking this with you.

I agree with an earlier posting. Just be ready to write down names if they give you the business. Don't bother with the complaint form.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by TSORon
As goalie said, be preparred for quite a few questions. In most circles (at least here in the USA), something like that is known for a certain use. Not that it is or may be accurate, but there you have it.

BTW, none of the airports you listed are mine, and I would have known what it is. I also am a pipe smoker.
This underscores some of the issues.

Here you have a person engaging in a perfectly legal activity and possessing a perfectly legal object. Suddenly this person has to answer questions, to say the least.

This is why I favor strict boundaries on the scope of the administraive search. As long as it is not a prohibited item, it is none of the screener's business.

Digressing slightly, I would like to see a stricter definition as to what constitutes "drug paraphernalia". I also find questionable the whole concept of criminalizing the mere possession (as opposed to using) of drug paraphernalia.

Finally, so much for "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear".
Old Aug 14, 2009, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
Yes - While both draw smoke through water to cool it, the orientation of where fire goes and where smoke is drawn from is reversed. In a hookah, the coal sits on top of the pipe and smoke is drawn from the hose. Essentially the concept of smoke going through water to cool it is the same, but sicne hookahs use a slow burning coal and hav emultiple hoses or mouthpieces, they are by their nature much more social. A bong requires one to use a lighter everytime they want to draw smoke.

Hookahs are popular throughout north africa, south asia, southeastern europe, and the middle east where you can see grandmas in hijabs sitting around one in the evening smoking together. It's very social and relaxing. Bongs really aren't used for tobacco anywhere except in the thinly veiled signs/posters at smoke shops that sell them whereas hookahs are primarily used for tobacco smoking.

I am going to leave the glass/breakable pieces in the carrying case and separate out the metal parts and tobacco into other bags just to lower my risk of being inconvenienced over nothing.

Thanks for the advice, FT!

peace,
~Ben~
Old Aug 14, 2009, 2:29 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by TSORon

and the use isn't even ssi .....plus on top of that, TSORon and i agree on what i believe is our second item )

(sorry, ron, just messin' with you on a friday hey, we still gotta have fun in this crazy effed up world we all live in, riight? )
Old Aug 14, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
Yes. A hookah is what you ask for at the head shop. A bong is what you call it once it's out of the store.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget
Yes. A hookah is what you ask for at the head shop. A bong is what you call it once it's out of the store.
shhhh even TSORon will tell you that's ssi
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:23 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I thought this thread was about a prostitute.....
Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:32 am

We have hookah bars in my city and we see hookahs all the time. no big deal. Three colleges and they always ask if it is going to cause any trouble, so far none.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.