Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hookah?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2009, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Even if there are questions, you should not answer them, nor do they have any right to confiscate it as it's not illegal, nor is it on the prohibited items list.

Escalate to the supervisor or airline GSC as needed.

Last edited by bocastephen; Aug 16, 2009 at 4:55 pm
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:41 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I brought quite a large one home from Morocco for my son, disassembled of course, in my hand luggage. No comments on it at CDG or at LAX from CBP although the agent did ask me what "sheesha" was on my declaration form.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LLM
I brought quite a large one home from Morocco for my son, disassembled of course, in my hand luggage. No comments on it at CDG or at LAX from CBP although the agent did ask me what "sheesha" was on my declaration form.
CBP personnel in DHS are more competent in determining prohibited items than TSA personnel in the same Department, so I am not surprised that LAX's CBP wouldn't make a mountain out of air. The TSA is unfortunately another beast but usually even they don't make an issue of transporting this item, at least not if disassembled and with the more dense components placed in checked luggage rather than carry-on.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I have known many people to fly with a bong. It's a perfectly legal item, and a pipe, hookah, or even cigarette paper should fall into the same category. If the standard is: you can smoke pot from it, then they should confiscate empty aluminum cans, aluminum foil, notebook paper, Bic pens, and just about anything else a creative and desperate high school student can come up with. What a security guard (even a federally employed one) imagines what you could do with your hookah should not be your concern, and they should not share their thoughts with you.

Pack the pieces in different bags, but I cannot understand why you should have any trouble.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by goalie;12226501now with all of that, make sure you have a [URL="http://www.millerworks.net/TSA-Complaint-Compliment-Form.pdf"
tsa complaint form[/URL] handy (thanks to ND SOL) and be prepared to take names and badge numbers "just in case" as my gut is telling me you're gonna get haSSSSled
Aw, you stopped using my site?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:18 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Superguy
Aw, you stopped using my site?
my bad . i lost my bookmarks a while back and did a f/t search to find a link-can you post/pm me the link?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: TSA
I have

Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
I have a medium sized hookah that I'm taking with me on a EWR-BOM-XXX-XXX flight. Should I anticipate any TSA scope creep nonsense about "paraphenalia" on this? (Yes, I actually use it for tobacco and that's what is in the case with it. In fact, it is brand new and unused in any event. I'd rather this not be a thread about weed. I just want to know if I should I expect any shenanigans at EWR!)

Thanks!

peace,
~Ben~
I have seen a number of those (pardon the pun) and there is nothing about them that is prohibited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.