Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Any recents changes to TSA liquids policy re: contact lens solution?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any recents changes to TSA liquids policy re: contact lens solution?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Ronnie, I've read list after list after list and never once saw any reference to contact lens solution being a banned item. We've proven you wrong so many times that it isn't funny.
AM, just how many times do I have to say that contact lens solution is allowed before you will finally understand? Please, give me a number? 8? 10?

Or are you saying that someone can claim that toothpaste is a “medically necessary” item? Could you be a bit more clear in your post, please? I know how difficult that is sometimes, but in this instance I really think you could have done a better job.

Several have questioned you even being a TSO given the significant number of significantly wrong information you've posted over here.
To the best of my knowledge here AM, I have not provided any incorrect information. Sure, what I post gets questioned all the time, but that does not mean that it is incorrect. And whatever point it is you are trying to make in your post is certainly not clear enough to be considered proof that I made an incorrect statement.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Talk about a double standard. On one hand you say for us to Google information when you have it at hand and in the next breath you want someone else to provide you information with links.
Not a double standard Sol, I just dont care enough to put forth the effort to do the research. He is trying to make a point, then I will be more than happy to review the information he might provide, but I'm not going to spend my time searching for it.

Besides, the TSA haters here do it all the time and I dont see you or anyone else quacking about "double standards". Whats good for the goose....
Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by erictank
No, the point being made is that pulling that cap off - not the little one, which is DESIGNED for easy removal while maintaining the fluid inside safe to GO IN YOUR EYES, but the BIG one which would allow objects to be inserted into the bottle, rendering the fluid inside UNSAFE TO GO IN YOUR EYES - like I said in my previous post. The earlier poster used the word "sterile", which might not be accurate in a clinical sense - but in a practical one? It certainly is. The fact that you'd *LIKE* it to be about the clinical definition of "sterile" is, frankly, irrelevant.
The test strips we use are not designed to be inserted into the liquid eric, but to collect the vapors of the item being tested (as is the new testing technology the TSA is testing). If you see a TSO attempting to insert the test strip into your solution then get the supervisor involved.

If so, perhaps you're in the wrong field.
If you cant understand the simple instructions we provide then maybe you shouldn't fly eric.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by TSORon
Not a double standard Sol, I just dont care enough to put forth the effort to do the research. He is trying to make a point, then I will be more than happy to review the information he might provide, but I'm not going to spend my time searching for it.
What research?

The question to which you responded was what concentrations does hydrogen peroxide become a good component for liquid explosives being manufactured in the lavatory. You said that you "know what it is" so no research should be needed.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 7:12 am

Programs: DL, AA
Or are you saying that someone can claim that toothpaste is a “medically necessary” item? Could you be a bit more clear in your post, please? I know how difficult that is sometimes, but in this instance I really think you could have done a better job.
Prescription toothpaste really shouldn't be questioned.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To the best of my knowledge here AM, I have not provided any incorrect information.

TSORon said...
RB, it is against the law to take $10,000 or more in cash out of the country. Has been for a long time.

You can disagree with my other statement as much as you like, the fact is that I am correct.

April 4, 2009 12:53 AM
Old Oct 8, 2009, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you cant understand the simple instructions we provide then maybe you shouldn't fly eric.

Any TSO who can't understand the simple instructions given them shouldn't be TSO's
Old Oct 8, 2009, 7:25 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
AM, just how many times do I have to say that contact lens solution is allowed before you will finally understand? Please, give me a number? 8? 10?

Ronnie, you say that all items containing hydrogen peroxide are absolutely forbidden to travel in an earlier post. Some kinds of contact solution do contain hydrogen peroxide AND YOU SAY THEY ARE ALLOWED. Please explain the discrepancy between what you've said.

To the best of my knowledge here AM, I have not provided any incorrect information. Sure, what I post gets questioned all the time, but that does not mean that it is incorrect. And whatever point it is you are trying to make in your post is certainly not clear enough to be considered proof that I made an incorrect statement.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA: td:
Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:42 pm

The test strips we use are not designed to be inserted into the liquid eric, but to collect the vapors of the item being tested (as is the new testing technology the TSA is testing). If you see a TSO attempting to insert the test strip into your solution then get the supervisor involved.
Given the multiple reports RIGHT HERE ON THIS BOARD that your screeners don't understand how to use the things, perhaps you could provide a little training for them?

Rest assured, anyone attempting to render my medicines unsafe for use ... will not manage to do so.

It wouldn't be a problem, ron, if only your agency's screeners had even middling levels of competence and reasoning ability. Oh, and if your agency would actually PUBLISH the rules it wants the flying public to follow. The idea of trusting a powertripping smurf with a tin badge who's explicitly *VIOLATING* your own agency's rules to tell me what rules *I* need to follow... yeah, not going to happen. Failure of your personnel to abide by those rules TSA *DOES* put out will - and rightfully SHOULD - result in calls up-chain for competent supervision staff capable of obeying TSA's own rules regarding explicitly-permitted items. Failure to PASS those explicitly-permitted items, subject to proper screening, is just another nail in the coffin of the notion TSA's oft-claimed (but almost-never-demonstrated) "professionalism", as well as evidence of the oft-expressed desire of bottom-level screeners to exert some kind of imagined "authoritay!!!!" over the people paying their salaries. Neither of these should be viewed by anyone, least of all anyone in DHS, as a good thing.

Your continued attempts at defense of the indefensible are... puzzling.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Ronnie, you say that all items containing hydrogen peroxide are absolutely forbidden to travel in an earlier post. Some kinds of contact solution do contain hydrogen peroxide AND YOU SAY THEY ARE ALLOWED. Please explain the discrepancy between what you've said.
OK, I will use little words.

It the contact solution contains H2O2 it will not be allowed. Not very many types do contain it, in fact I have only run across one type that does. There may be others, but I have not seen them.

So, check the label. If the container is larger than 3.4 ounces it should be tested, and if it alarms then it does not fly in your carry-on.

Easy enough for you AM? Need any further clarification? If so, please let me know.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 5:33 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold

It the contact solution contains H2O2 it will not be allowed. Not very many types do contain it, in fact I have only run across one type that does. There may be others, but I have not seen them.

So, check the label. If the container is larger than 3.4 ounces it should be tested, and if it alarms then it does not fly in your carry-on.

Easy enough for you AM? Need any further clarification? If so, please let me know.
Ronnie, quoting from TSA's own documentation it says ALL medication and contact lens solution is a medication is allowed through and you go on to say no it is not because it has hydrogen peroxide in it.

Ronnie trumps TSA's own policy again.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 5:38 am

Maybe you need littler words for me. If the contact solution contains H2O2, but is in a container less than 3.4 ounces contained in a one quart bag, is it permitted to go?

Because you say in your first sentence that "contact solution contain[ing] H2O2 it will not be allowed," but then allude to the 3.4 oz. container. If none is permitted, how are you ensuring that none gets through if it is in the 3.4 oz. container?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by ND Sol
Maybe you need littler words for me. If the contact solution contains H2O2, but is in a container less than 3.4 ounces contained in a one quart bag, is it permitted to go?

Because you say in your first sentence that "contact solution contain[ing] H2O2 it will not be allowed," but then allude to the 3.4 oz. container. If none is permitted, how are you ensuring that none gets through if it is in the 3.4 oz. container?
Sounds to me it's the fact that 3.5 oz will bring down an airplane ...
Old Oct 9, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: TSA
the rule

There is a brand of solution that has a red band at the bottom and it will not be allowed to go as it will trigger an alarm of the detection equipment. Doesnt matter what the size the bottle is, the preservative that is in the solution alarms.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by eyecue
There is a brand of solution that has a red band at the bottom and it will not be allowed to go as it will trigger an alarm of the detection equipment. Doesnt matter what the size the bottle is, the preservative that is in the solution alarms.
That's TSA for you: can miss loaded firearms but keeping us safe from contact solution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.