Wiki Posts
Search

Border Patrol - random sideroad stop

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2009, 3:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Border Patrol - random sideroad stop

This past week I have been travelling in Texas and New Mexico. On a rural road about 20 miles outside of Deming, NM I was pulled over by a border patrol agent and asked why I was in the area. He commented that he didn't see too many Texas license plates (I was 80 miles to El Paso), and was curious as to why I was there.

While he never asked for ID or for my name, he did ask if I was a US citizen. Later at the hotel I checked out what I could find on the border patrol and its authority and I cannot determine how what he did was legal. Was it?

I did get his name and can detail where this occurred if it is worth filing a complaint against him.

Oh yeah, he was in a pick-up truck with roof lights and he carried a sidearm, unlike those who asked my citizenship at the I-10 checkpoint.
Old May 24, 2009, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by pigbill
This past week I have been travelling in Texas and New Mexico. On a rural road about 20 miles outside of Deming, NM I was pulled over by a border patrol agent and asked why I was in the area. He commented that he didn't see too many Texas license plates (I was 80 miles to El Paso), and was curious as to why I was there.

While he never asked for ID or for my name, he did ask if I was a US citizen. Later at the hotel I checked out what I could find on the border patrol and its authority and I cannot determine how what he did was legal. Was it?

I did get his name and can detail where this occurred if it is worth filing a complaint against him.

Oh yeah, he was in a pick-up truck with roof lights and he carried a sidearm, unlike those who asked my citizenship at the I-10 checkpoint.
A traffic stop by the USBP is legal, which is why they give them vehicles with the nice lights and sirens on it.

Traffic stops are to be supported by reasonable suspicion.

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
Bill,

Within a hundred miles of the border its legal. ICE does not subscribe to the requirement that they need reasonable suspicion. It's not right, but we have ceded so much power to the Federal government in the area of immigration and customs enforcement we'll never get it back to a balance between citizen's rights and government intrusion. It is clearly tilted in favor of the government IMHO.

In the areas where they patrol or run roadblocks, ICE Agents can stop anyone, and assess whether they are in this country legally. If you choose not to cooperate, you likely will find yourself in handcuffs or worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUzd7G875Hc

Are you Hispanic?
Old May 24, 2009, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Dresden
Bill,

Within a hundred miles of the border its legal. It's not right, but we have ceded so much power to the Federal government we'll never get it back.

ICE Agents can stop you, and assess whether you are in this country legally. If you choose not to cooperate, you likely will find yourself in handcuffs or worse.

You are wrong, the courts have allowed checkpoints within a reasonable distance from the border (100 miles) but for a BP officer to pull someone over he needs probable cause just like any other LEO.
Old May 24, 2009, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dresden
Bill,

Within a hundred miles of the border its legal. It's not right, but we have ceded so much power to the Federal government we'll never get it back.

ICE Agents can stop you, and assess whether you are in this country legally. If you choose not to cooperate, you likely will find yourself in handcuffs or worse.

The 100 miles jurisdiction is not for traffic stops, but conveyance checks. Traffic stops must be supported by reasonable suspicion unless it can be shown that the vehicle came directly from the border itself without being at a Port of Entry (POE). Say there was a road that ran directly to the border on a ranch and the vehicle was coming up that road, then yes they could stop that vehicle with no cause. Otherwise, to pull a vehicle over requires reasonable suspicion.
Old May 24, 2009, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
You are wrong, the courts have allowed checkpoints within a reasonable distance from the border (100 miles) but for a BP officer to pull someone over he needs probable cause just like any other LEO.
Reasonable suspicion, TK.
Old May 24, 2009, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by law dawg
Reasonable suspicion, TK.
My bad.
Old May 24, 2009, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I remember where we are stopped border checkpoint in between Arizona/California line. If we are US citizen to go ahead continues driving to El Centro, CA. I remember where we spent there only for 1 day and drove back home to Arizona. I remember where we drove to Mexico/US border. It was short time where we are in Mexico and back to US lines. We have to carry ID along with me. I remember the weather are very extremely hot condition in Mexico. I remember where we go to lunch at KFC buffet.

After that we are drove back to my uncle's house to PHX but, we are stop at border checkpoint to made sure if we are US citizen but, we doesn't show the identifications. So this is it where we drove back to PHX.
Old May 24, 2009, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
I remember where we are stopped border checkpoint in between Arizona/California line. If we are US citizen to go ahead continues driving to El Centro, CA. I remember where we spent there only for 1 day and drove back home to Arizona. I remember where we drove to Mexico/US border. It was short time where we are in Mexico and back to US lines. We have to carry ID along with me. I remember the weather are very extremely hot condition in Mexico. I remember where we go to lunch at KFC buffet.

After that we are drove back to my uncle's house to PHX but, we are stop at border checkpoint to made sure if we are US citizen but, we doesn't show the identifications. So this is it where we drove back to PHX.
Great now I am hungry for some KFC mashed potatoes.
Old May 24, 2009, 3:41 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
This happened to me when I was working for a newspaper a few years ago. I was out covering the Minuteman thing (the original one in Naco, Arizona), and one of our stories was to head up this dirt "road" that paralleled the fence for a bit.

We got stopped by a BP guy in a Jeep, who just wanted to know what we were doing driving a brand new rental Jeep on this "road." Told him, he gave us some water, told us where the killer bee nests were and we were out of there. Aside from the USBP Drug Dog & Handler that decided to dart in front of my car at a checkpoint, I've found the BP folks to be pretty reasonable. Maybe it's because I'm white and always have the Rolling Stones or AC/DC on in my car when I roll through the checkpoint.
Old May 24, 2009, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
^^^
Old May 24, 2009, 6:21 pm

Which led me to think what has better sides and chicken than KFC, which led me to Popeye's Chicken.

DAMN YOU, TS/S!!!
Old May 24, 2009, 6:35 pm

Which led me to think what has better sides and chicken than KFC, which led me to Popeye's Chicken.

DAMN YOU, TS/S!!!
♪♫ Love that chicken from Popeye's ♪♫
Old May 24, 2009, 9:11 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
♪♫ Love that chicken from Popeye's ♪♫
Stop it, stop it, please. As there's no Popeye's in Australia, it's on my (very short) list of "things for which I would consider running the TSA gauntlet."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.