Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA misses stun gun, still claims victory.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:52 am
Original Poster

TSA misses stun gun, still claims victory.

The TSA flat out misses stun gun but still claims victory from mutiple layers of security.

From the article.

A woman who carried a stun gun in an infant's stroller undetected through security at Albany International Airport is facing a misdemeanor charge after an airline employee found the device at the gate.

Amy Burns, her child and a male passenger were boarding a Southwest Airlines flight last Saturday when the employee found the device as he prepared to load the stroller in the plane's baggage hold, authorities said. ...

...Uselding also said that, while there is "no silver bullet" in detecting such threats, "we do have multiple layers of security," ranging from reinforced cockpit doors to air marshals aboard aircraft.

"This article did not make it onto the aircraft," she said.
I just vomited a little.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 6:10 am

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
How is a stun gun a threat to aviation?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by MarcPHL
How is a stun gun a threat to aviation?
Could be useful against a lippy sky waitress, but I'm not sure if it could bring an airplane down.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wonder if that money used to buy uniforms and badges could have been used for better x-ray detection equipment.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:39 am

Fabulous. It sounds like the woman left the stroller to be gate-checked. So the stun gun would have been in the cargo hold for the duration of the flight? What a threat.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:45 am
DRZ

...when the employee found the device as he prepared to load the stroller in the plane's baggage hold, authorities said.
A little extra, on-the-side, unsupervised carry-on baggage inspections going on here?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:47 am
Suspended

Uselding also said that, while there is "no silver bullet" in detecting such threats, "we do have multiple layers of security," ranging from reinforced cockpit doors to air marshals aboard aircraft.
Sounds to me like the TSA is also taking credit for the reinforced cockpit doors.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Fabulous. It sounds like the woman left the stroller to be gate-checked. So the stun gun would have been in the cargo hold for the duration of the flight? What a threat.
+1.

Zero threat at all.

I think the screeners ought to be charged with a crime, too, since they missed it. Fair is fair.

No accountability. None whatsover.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I think the screeners ought to be charged with a crime, too, since they missed it. Fair is fair.
Not charged with a crime, insomuch, as it isn't a crime. It would, however, prompt retraining initatives or suspension or termination, dependant upon the particular TSO's record to that point.

No accountability. None whatsover.
Neg. Just no publicity.

I, on the other hand, get to hear about it in in-briefing at the start of shift about how some airport somewhere missed something that was found at another airport on the return trip, and how the security cameras were consulted to determine who screwed up where, and proper action then taking place. Two, this past week, as a matter of fact—and that's just the big stuff that I hear about. Just as not every cotton-picking little thing that takes place or is caught at a security checkpoint makes it into a press release, so too does not every cotton-picking little screw-up that someone makes gets into a shift briefing for being on the look-out for something.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean
Neg. Just no publicity.

I, on the other hand, get to hear about it in in-briefing at the start of shift about how some airport somewhere missed something that was found at another airport on the return trip, and how the security cameras were consulted to determine who screwed up where, and proper action then taking place. Two, this past week, as a matter of fact—and that's just the big stuff that I hear about. Just as not every cotton-picking little thing that takes place or is caught at a security checkpoint makes it into a press release, so too does not every cotton-picking little screw-up that someone makes gets into a shift briefing for being on the look-out for something.
It just blows my mind at how non-chalant the TSA is when it comes to its staff missing a prohibited item such as that.

It's all going to become moot if something truly deadly slips by with a person with deadly intentions.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

I think the woman should file a suit against the TSA for violating her 5th Amendment rights.

From the article.

But TSA officials are using the event as a learning experience. Uselding said they took the stroller and the device back to the security checkpoint so that officers could see what it looked like on the screen, since it was missed the first time.
The 5th Amendment.

Amendment 5 - Trial and Punishment, Compensation for Takings. Ratified 12/15/1791.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 5:50 pm

[Tch. Changed mah mind.]

Last edited by HSVTSO Dean; Feb 21, 2009 at 8:09 pm
Old Feb 21, 2009, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LessO2
It just blows my mind at how non-chalant the TSA is when it comes to its staff missing a prohibited item such as that.
One word-Alvin Crabtree (ok, that was 2). Remember how nonchalant they were about HIM & his trying to bring a gun to work & thru the checkpoint?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
The TSA flat out misses stun gun but still claims victory from mutiple layers of security.

From the article.

I just vomited a little.
A little?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
I think the woman should file a suit against the TSA for violating her 5th Amendment rights.

From the article.

The 5th Amendment.
LOL. I think they have to take it permanently for that to apply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.