Wiki Posts
Search

Liquid restrictions being relaxed?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 1k
Liquid restrictions being relaxed?

My apologies if this isn't the right place to post - but I searched and didn't find anything...

I've noticed that the last 3 times I've flown domestically on AA (out of BOS & SFO), I've repeatedly forgotten to take out my "clear plastic bag" full of liquids from out of my carry-on. Once, I remembered as they had to rescan my bag & I told the TSA agent "oops sorry I forgot to take out liquids" and he said, "oh don't worry about it, it's not a problem". The other two times it passed scan without mention.

I've also noticed that no one is busy telling everyone in the busy pre-screen area that they've got to remove liquids from their carry-on.

I've read elsewhere that the TSA is going to be loosening rules... but there is no indication that they've been loosened, either on the AA website or the TSA website.

Anyone else have this experience?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Travel Safety/Security

That forum could be a better choice. Where were you searching?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, UA GLD, Marriott GLD, Hyatt GLD
I remembered reading about this before - apparently it's coming, but not quite there yet...

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2008...quids-in-2009/

Anecdotally, I have not noticed any changes in the implementation of the 3-1-1 policy so far this year.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by squarevince
My apologies if this isn't the right place to post - but I searched and didn't find anything...

I've noticed that the last 3 times I've flown domestically on AA (out of BOS & SFO), I've repeatedly forgotten to take out my "clear plastic bag" full of liquids from out of my carry-on. Once, I remembered as they had to rescan my bag & I told the TSA agent "oops sorry I forgot to take out liquids" and he said, "oh don't worry about it, it's not a problem". The other two times it passed scan without mention.

I've also noticed that no one is busy telling everyone in the busy pre-screen area that they've got to remove liquids from their carry-on.

I've read elsewhere that the TSA is going to be loosening rules... but there is no indication that they've been loosened, either on the AA website or the TSA website.

Anyone else have this experience?
2 possibilities.

1. Lazy screener

2. Screener who realizes the 'Wah on Water' is was nothing more than an election-year 'scare the Kettle's' tactic (remember, this all happened the day after CT voters tried to show Joe Lieberman the door, which was widely viewed as a litmus test on the policies of the now departed Bush administration).
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you're just running into the TSAers that have seen millions of compliant bottles and rather slow the line down (they get pressure to move things along), they just see it and go.

You have to watch out for some airports, like DEN or other airports with some young screeners....they're usually more gung-ho and will sound the alarm.

I just take it out anyway....my goal is to get the hell away from the checkpoint as soon as possible.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txrus
1. Lazy screener
3 times in a row? Possible... but seems unlikely. Also combined with the fact that, the first time, the screener AND the guy who brought my bag for a re-scan who I informed I forgot to remove liquids let it slide.

Maybe it's an "informally" accepted practice now, they just don't actively let customers know?

2. Screener who realizes the 'Wah on Water' is was nothing more than an election-year 'scare the Kettle's' tactic (remember, this all happened the day after CT voters tried to show Joe Lieberman the door, which was widely viewed as a litmus test on the policies of the now departed Bush administration).
*woosh* that went right over my head. Don't remember that one at all. But it's okay, I think my brain just has selective amnesia to block out certain parts of our last 8 years.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LessO2
I think you're just running into the TSAers that have seen millions of compliant bottles and rather slow the line down (they get pressure to move things along), they just see it and go.
All 3 times (fri redeye, sun evening), there's been essentially no wait; maybe 2-3 people in line when I hop in. And Logan has some of the biggest TSA a-holes, that take pleasure in holding up lines, to make examples out of the poor sucker who forgot to remove his flipflops or ballcap. The only place I've encountered more aggravating, rude security has been at LGA.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
I've left small things in my bag from amenity kits when rescreening at ORD the last couple of weeks and have gone right through. Of course, the first time I brought a regular sized bottle of shampoo, etc. would be the one where they take it away from me!
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by squarevince
*woosh* that went right over my head. Don't remember that one at all. But it's okay, I think my brain just has selective amnesia to block out certain parts of our last 8 years.
That's because the BREAKING NEWS about the PLOT TO BLOW UP AIRPLANES OVER THE ATLANTIC & CAUSE DEATH ON AN UNIMAGINABLE SCALE knocked it out of the news cycle by about 4am the day after the CT primary. Very little time to even report on the results of the primary, much less analyze it, before the media moved on. At the time I had the news on in the mornings by 5:15 & they were already going strong w/this BREAKING NEWS when I turned the tv on.

Since then, of course, there have been multiple reports from London confirming the arrests were made at the urging of the White House (I'll refrain from anything further on that so this doesn't drift into OMNI-land).
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:28 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
It is just oversight and no change in policy. Until they change it to allow wine, it wont matter to me. The current sizes for all other things are more than I would even need on a trip, so there is no problem at all. Wine, though, that would be big

Cheers.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by brp
It is just oversight and no change in policy. Until they change it to allow wine, it wont matter to me. The current sizes for all other things are more than I would even need on a trip, so there is no problem at all. Wine, though, that would be big

Cheers.
I'd settle for Pepsi, personally
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:51 am
DRZ

I was at the checkpoint (anonymous airport) last week and saw a passenger take a bottle of water and place it in the bin with other belongings. I was surprised to see the passenger take it out after screening and walk away with it in hand.

I guess screeners DO get to be the judge and jury.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I'd settle for Pepsi, personally
Or a few cans of beer.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 1:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
OTOH, I was stopped and made to empty my amenity kit of tiny sampler body lotion, lip balm, mouthwash and toothpaste, in case I could blend them on board and crate the next WMD in the lav. ORD, it was... iirc.

In SMF this morning, they sent my Freedom baggie through the x-ray twice. Four containers, all well within 3-1-1 specs. Maybe I'm carrying the wrong shave cream?

In TSA inspections, US Customs and similar issues, I always try for a mature, long time employee, and try to avoid the young gung-ho but inexperienced appearing man or woman who looks like they are trying to tatch a comet's tail to help their careerr ise. That's a rule of thumb that has generally served me well, for well over fifty years, in US and abroad, though occasionally I'm directed into a queue where my preference is not met.

I remember one particlularly unpleasant (and thankfully singular) situation at CMH where the TSA agent was unclear; I asked him to repeat his instructions clearly so I could comply and he hit the fan, secondaried me, harassed me and threatened me with a LEO. I had to sort it out with a supervisor (that was the easiest part.)
Old Feb 20, 2009, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

cool, thanks jdiver for the tip. i'm still going to test out my theory to see when/if the next time they catch my 3-1-1 baggie. If i have to chuck $4 of toothpaste & shaving cream, ce la vie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.