Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA and AAA Lithium Batteries as CarryOn?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
AA and AAA Lithium Batteries as CarryOn?

Can I carry a quantity of Energizer e Lithium batteries in my carry on bag? I want to carry a total of three 4-packs of both AA and AAA batteries with me as they are expensive and I don't want to risk putting them in my checked luggage. Both types of batteries are used in cameras which will also be in my carry on bag. The batteries are in individual "4-packs".

FWIW, they do last a lot longer, at least in one camera I am using. The other camera (video) is new, so I have no track record.

DD
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Yes you can because i carry lots of batteries (NIMH. Li-Ion, Li-Polymer, NICD, etc) with me when i travel with camera gear, and i rarely get any flak from TSA. There more worried about other items in my kit then the batteries.

just keep them in there retail packaging or pick up some four cell holders from thomas distributing. anything to keep them from rolling around loose in your bag
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:03 am

Programs: I work for the TSA
Shouldn't be a problem. They may trigger a bag search due to their density -- to avoid having a TSO paw through your bag, you may wish to remove the batteries from your luggage and run them through separately in a bin.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
As they are lithium based (they are noticeably lighter than alkaline batteries), they should show up as less dense - or is this still a problem?

I think I will risk not taking them out - we should have at least 1 1/2 hours from security to the flight.

DD
Old Feb 11, 2009, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
I have traveled with a goodly number of them either in carry-on or checked baggage, and they have never been a glance.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Lithium batteries are not supposed to be in checked luggage at all:
You can carry an unlimited number of smaller lithium batteries in your carryon luggage.

Guess who forgot to remove a set of Lithium AA cells when he checked a suitcase to bring home some china from the CO DO on Sunday? Like I even gave it a thought until I saw this post.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Feb 11, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.