Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Removing Used/Expired Visa Stickers from Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Removing Used/Expired Visa Stickers from Passport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
I don't think that removing carefully an expired visa will create any problem unless the visa is linked to an active legal document like a residence permit. Nevertheless, I won't do that.

But, I will never remove and place a visa on another passport because most visas include passport information, and this is the case for the Chinese visa (as well as the PRC residence permit which is a sticker on your passport). Even if the passport number is not apparent, it may be recorded in the customs database.
PRC customs are no joke. At Capital apt, I've once seen 5 officers looking in turns into a suspicious passport through a weaver's glass.

My extended passport holds 88 pages for visas. I've put a post-it "no-stamp" on 14 pages as I'm certain to need those blank pages for visas until my PP expires. I had no problem in any country. This is probably not considered as tampering with an official document.

Two trivias :
> Asian custom officers carefully stamp on free space. South Europeans stamp anywhere, even on area already stamped. (That pisses me off because I need Entry/Exit proof for IRS ...)
> People from India love showing off their passport. More than once, have I seen people with up to 6 passports glued together. (Absolutely no offence intended)
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by jplus
I have been thinking about removing used full-page visa stickers from my passport to make room for stamps.

Any one done this?

Is this a very stupid idea? Thanks!

It is not YOUR passport. It belongs to the Government that issued it.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ioto1902
I don't think that removing carefully an expired visa will create any problem unless the visa is linked to an active legal document like a residence permit. Nevertheless, I won't do that.

But, I will never remove and place a visa on another passport because most visas include passport information, and this is the case for the Chinese visa (as well as the PRC residence permit which is a sticker on your passport). Even if the passport number is not apparent, it may be recorded in the customs database.
PRC customs are no joke. At Capital apt, I've once seen 5 officers looking in turns into a suspicious passport through a weaver's glass.

My extended passport holds 88 pages for visas. I've put a post-it "no-stamp" on 14 pages as I'm certain to need those blank pages for visas until my PP expires. I had no problem in any country. This is probably not considered as tampering with an official document.
If noticed, signs of a removed visa are an invitation to extra scrutiny at ports of entry/exit for immigration purposes and sometimes even at customs. And this kind of stuff can complicate passport renewal attempts.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Airbridge
It is not YOUR passport. It belongs to the Government that issued it.
It is the passport bearer's passport, even as the government may consider it to be government property.

It really is unfortunate that the governmental issuing authorities in the main can claim government-ownership over the passports after having been paid for them, but they can claim -- and do exercise such claim of -- ownership.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It is the passport bearer's passport, even as the government may consider it to be government property.

It really is unfortunate that the governmental issuing authorities in the main can claim government-ownership over the passports after having been paid for them, but they can claim -- and do exercise such claim of -- ownership.
It is the issuing government property as it can be reclaimed, retained or cancelled by it.
You are paying for a service fee. You are not purchasing a good. It's only a travel pass, which, btw, doesn't always guarantee your nationality.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:58 pm
Suspended

It is the issuing government property as it can be reclaimed, retained or cancelled by it.
You are paying for a service fee. You are not purchasing a good.
As I indicated earlier, it's unfortunate that is how it is in the main.

It's not just a travel pass, even as that is often how it is used.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:33 pm

It's not just a travel pass, even as that is often how it is used.
By nature and object, a passport is a document addressed to a foreign country requesting that the bearer pass safely and freely.

For most, it is also a political document, again addressed to foreign powers, by which the bearer is recognized as a citizen of the issuing country.

Therefore, a passport is by definition intended to be used abroad, even if it is sometimes used for other purposes.

Several food for thoughts :
> Palestinians are issued Egyptian passports (although not residing in Egypt, and not holding Egyptian citizenship) which allow them to travel anywhere ... except Egypt.
> Bedoons living in Kuwait for generations have once been issued Kuwaiti passports clearly stating that they don't have Kuwaiti citizenship. For some of them, Kuwait have legally purchased Comoros passports.
> Within India, an Indian passport alone is not considered as a proof of citizenship, while it is in other countries.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:44 pm
Suspended

By nature and object, a passport is a document addressed to a foreign country requesting that the bearer pass safely and freely.

For most, it is also a political document, again addressed to foreign powers, by which the bearer is recognized as a citizen of the issuing country.

Therefore, a passport is by definition intended to be used abroad, even if it is sometimes used for other purposes.

Several food for thoughts :
> Palestinians are issued Egyptian passports (although not residing in Egypt, and not holding Egyptian citizenship) which allow them to travel anywhere ... except Egypt.
> Bedoons living in Kuwait for generations have once been issued Kuwaiti passports clearly stating that they don't have Kuwaiti citizenship. For some of them, Kuwait have legally purchased Comoros passports.
> Within India, an Indian passport alone is not considered as a proof of citizenship, while it is in other countries.
An Indian passport alone has been considered, in India, by Indian officials, as a proof of Indian citizenship in India. Whether that is always the case or not, well, that goes for a lot of countries. I may Get back to the rest above later.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:04 pm

The US code would appear to take a different view as do most countries legal systems.

§51.7 Passport property of the U.S. Government.

(a) A passport at all times remains the property of the United States and must be returned to the U.S. Government upon demand.

(b) Law enforcement authorities who take possession of a passport for use in an investigation or prosecution must return the passport to the Department on completion of the investigation and/or prosecution.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...2#se22.1.51_17

Mere possession of the passport does not confer ownership rights. It is a document that belongs to and is owned by the Government which is provided to the applicant as proof of his having appeared to satisfy all the requirements needed for issue at the time of application. As we all know lying about meeting such requirements is often the basis for revocation at a later date.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:27 pm

An Indian passport alone has been considered, in India, by Indian officials, as a proof of Indian citizenship in India. Whether that is always the case or not, well, that goes for a lot of countries. I may Get back to the rest above later.
refer to Bombay high court ruling. Sept 2013
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:17 am
Suspended

The Sept 2013 ruling in India doesn't change the fact that in India Indian officials considered Indian passports as proof of citizenship. For it not to be considered as such, other factors have to be in play, as were in the cases there.

Originally Posted by Airbridge
The US code would appear to take a different view as do most countries legal systems.

§51.7 Passport property of the U.S. Government.

(a) A passport at all times remains the property of the United States and must be returned to the U.S. Government upon demand.

(b) Law enforcement authorities who take possession of a passport for use in an investigation or prosecution must return the passport to the Department on completion of the investigation and/or prosecution.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...2#se22.1.51_17

Mere possession of the passport does not confer ownership rights. Iwwt is a document that belongs to and is owned by the Government which is provided to the applicant as proof of his having appeared to satisfy all the requirements needed for issue at the time of application. As we all know lying about meeting such requirements is often the basis for revocation at a later date.
That is not news to me.

Take a different view? No, they take the view I indicated, a view which I consider unfortunate regardless of their right to do so.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 25, 2015 at 7:24 am
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:41 pm

> People from India love showing off their passport. More than once, have I seen people with up to 6 passports glued together. (Absolutely no offence intended)
At one point of time, when I was going through Indian passports every 6 months or so due to heavy travel, I had 8 passports stuck together. Not for any wish to show off (believe me, it is extremely inconvenient to carry that stack), but rather because there are valid visas in old passports whose "sequence of continuity" must be maintained by carrying every (fully stamped) passport between that and the current passport.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:47 pm

refer to Bombay high court ruling. Sept 2013
With all due respect, the ruling simply stated that having a passport that was obtained by error/fraud/misrepresentation does not automatically make one a citizen if there was no underlying eligibility for citizenship in the first place. A valid and legally obtained Indian passport remains one of the possible pieces of documentation that may be used to demonstrate citizenship.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A couple related questions:

I have a couple pages that have the stapled stub from Japan entries still attached (just the little stub). I assume its OK to remove these? Or will the staple holes draw attention?

Is the need for a completely blank page country specific? I still have lots of blank boxes and places where a stamp can be squeezed in, but only one totally blank page.

I experimented a little with my Indian visa this morning by lifting one corner slightly. It certainly began to come off clearly, but a little residue was left behind so I decided the better course was just to stop. The corner I'd lifted went right back down. Phew.

My situation is that I have 2 trips back to back that leave little time before or between to get extra pages without doing the "in person" thing in Chicago and those fees add up, and I also have a very comfortable gap before the third upcoming INTL trip. I have 7 completely kosher open slots and about 4-6 other spots that a stamp could be squeezed in. Going to completely normal places - Canada, Shengen, UK, - and am expecting to need as few as 7 slots or as many as 10, so I can squeak through. Fortunately, I'm not entering via Italy, where they LOVE to stamp in the dead center of a blank page!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
Goo Gone is very effective at removing adhesive stickers. I remove price stickers and amazon stickers off books and CD's with it.

I imagine it will work on visa stickers equally well. FYI/ YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.