Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Removing Used/Expired Visa Stickers from Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Insulator-King
Goo Gone is very effective at removing adhesive stickers. I remove price stickers and amazon stickers off books and CD's with it.

I imagine it will work on visa stickers equally well. FYI/ YMMV.
I wouldn't go near my passport with Go gone. Your passport is gonna look like you used it as a plate to hold your Taco! Plus you have a good chance of getting denied entry into another country. If your really out of options and are willing to risk it all I would only use steam to remove useless visas.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Insulator-King
Goo Gone is very effective at removing adhesive stickers. I remove price stickers and amazon stickers off books and CD's with it.

I imagine it will work on visa stickers equally well. FYI/ YMMV.
Before you try this on your passport, put a sticker on a piece of regular paper, then remove it with Goo Gone, and then look at the piece of paper. Not going to be pretty.

Goo Gone is great stuff, but I would never use it on a porous surface like paper.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:16 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by milepig
A couple related questions:

I have a couple pages that have the stapled stub from Japan entries still attached (just the little stub). I assume its OK to remove these? Or will the staple holes draw attention?
Yes, you can remove those. Usually the passport control folks remove the staple and the stub when exiting the country IME, but if not, you can definitely remove those yourself without fear.

Originally Posted by milepig
Is the need for a completely blank page country specific? I still have lots of blank boxes and places where a stamp can be squeezed in, but only one totally blank page.
Some visas are full-page. The problem will be that the next place you go is likely to stamp that empty page rather than squeezing in their stamp in a free spot on another page. (CDG did that to me last time; I had plenty of open spots on current pages, but they flipped to the end and stamped in the middle of a new, blank page. Thankfully, I still have a few empty ones if needed.)
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Waiting for someone to report that after they removed the visa, they found the issuing country had stamped THIS PASSPORT PAGE HAS BEEN TAMPERED WITH underneath. LOL.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
It is unlawful under Title 18 USC Sec 1543 to alter or mutilate a U.S. Passport. Your passport belongs to the U.S. Government, not to you.

It says so right there on page 6 (emphasis mine):

"This passport may not be altered or mutilated in any way. Alteration may make it INVALID, and, if willful, may subject you to prosecution . . . Only authorized officials of the United States or of foreign countries, in connection with official matters, may place stamps or make statements, notations, or additions in this passport. You may amend or update personal information for your own convenience on page 7."

So, do NOT tamper with your passport.

(I would argue that this law also prohibits microwaving or pounding the new e-passports to disable the RFID chip, as some FTers have spoken about doing to reduce the risk of identity theft.)
The text found in the passport is not US law. Additionally 18 USC Sec 1543 does not say what you are trying to make it say. The kinds of changes it speaks of all relate to intent to fraud. There is nothing that can be found in the criminal code about pulling out old used visas from other countries. That does not mean, though, that the other country will agree with you removing their visa if you return.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Therealjjj77
The text found in the passport is not US law. Additionally 18 USC Sec 1543 does not say what you are trying to make it say. The kinds of changes it speaks of all relate to intent to fraud. There is nothing that can be found in the criminal code about pulling out old used visas from other countries. That does not mean, though, that the other country will agree with you removing their visa if you return.
Why are you replying to a post that is nearly 8 years old, and in a thread that has no posts for nearly 1.5 years?

As to your claim that there's no law that covers this, that's incorrect. Removing a visa is an alteration. If you then use such altered passport you've violated the law.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Why are you replying to a post that is nearly 8 years old, and in a thread that has no posts for nearly 1.5 years?

As to your claim that there's no law that covers this, that's incorrect. Removing a visa is an alteration. If you then use such altered passport you've violated the law.
It depends on the country, but in the US for US passports, it's not always illegal -- intent matters.

The question of legality is distinct from the question of whether or not it will lead to use problems with government authorities or airline reps.

Some topics should not be considered time-barred.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: 1 thousand

Which law, and in what countries? (Despite what certain countries might think, laws aren't global.)
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If a poster runs across a topic that interests him/her and has an opinion to share, I think he or she should feel free to do so, even if the last post was 18 months ago.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
This discussion about removing visas makes me wonder. I got a e-visa that I printed at home for (IIRC) Cambodia. I didn't glue it in and neither did the immigration officials. It fell out after I went home, and I've traveled without it since. I have a passport with entry/exit stamps from a country that requires visas, but no actual visa in my passport.

Now that I'm reading this thread, I wonder if that could have caused a problem if someone had chosen to scrutinize my passport carefully for some reason. More importantly, without the actual visa on me, how could I prove I ever had one?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chollie
This discussion about removing visas makes me wonder. I got a e-visa that I printed at home for (IIRC) Cambodia. I didn't glue it in and neither did the immigration officials. It fell out after I went home, and I've traveled without it since. I have a passport with entry/exit stamps from a country that requires visas, but no actual visa in my passport.

Now that I'm reading this thread, I wonder if that could have caused a problem if someone had chosen to scrutinize my passport carefully for some reason. More importantly, without the actual visa on me, how could I prove I ever had one?
They won't care. The actual visa was only neededd when entering that country.

As fork removing the visa. It's an alteration and with intent if you're removing it to use the page for more entry/exit stamps.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: 1 thousand

As fork removing the visa. It's an alteration and with intent if you're removing it to use the page for more entry/exit stamps.
But who enforces that alterations aren't made? I rarely visit my home country (they own my passport), and when I do: no immigration officer touches my passport.

I'm not sure other countries will care in any way, as long as the data page and chip (and any visas that country has issued) haven't been tampered with.

Also worth noting: a bunch of Taiwanese citizens travel with stickers on their passport, it doesn't seem to cause any significant issues. (Slightly different issue adding stickers to the cover, but fundamentally still an "alteration".)

Last edited by televisor; Sep 22, 2016 at 7:21 pm
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

Please re-read my post. It was an e-visa that I printed at home. There were no instructions telling me to glue it into my passport. At immigration, they checked my home-printed visa and my passport and stamped my passport. They didn't glue it into my passport, they just handed it back to me with my passport. I never 'removed' anything because it was never attached. I didn't alter anything: the visa is exactly as it was when I printed it out and I didn't change anything on my passport.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chollie
Please re-read my post. It was an e-visa that I printed at home. There were no instructions telling me to glue it into my passport. At immigration, they checked my home-printed visa and my passport and stamped my passport. They didn't glue it into my passport, they just handed it back to me with my passport. I never 'removed' anything because it was never attached. I didn't alter anything: the visa is exactly as it was when I printed it out and I didn't change anything on my passport.
Sorry, the 2nd portion was a reply to the postings about alterations. Some posters are claiming that removing a visa that is stuck on a page isn't an alteration with intent.

In your case you're not altering your passport. There's no legal issue here. It's just like when you visit Israel. They give you a little paper permit/visa instead of stamping your passport. There's no issue tossing it since it was never made a portion of the passport. Same goes for your e-visa. It's all electronically recorded, no one cares about it not being there since it was never there to begin with.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Some posters are claiming that removing a visa that is stuck on a page isn't an alteration with intent.
Where was the claim made in this thread?

It's the nature of the intent -- even when it comes to removal -- that is part of the issue in some places.

When it comes to intentional activity, not all types of intent behind intentional actions give rise to being equally actionable under US law.

Not all alterations are created and/or treated equally, for the nature of the intent may matter under the law. But, regardless of the nature of the intent, a removal of a used/expired visa sticker in a passport may be noticed and lead to inconvenience during the course of attempted travel -- whether or not a prosecutable violation of law is relevant. It's a bad idea, more so if the person can easily get a valid new/replacement/secondary passport.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 23, 2016 at 3:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.