Wiki Posts
Search

France cracks down on corkscrews

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2009, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
France cracks down on corkscrews

At CDG on Tuesday (2 Fevrier) I had my angel wings corkscrew confiscated by security. I had it in my rollaboard. The same corkscrew has been to France a couple of times in carryon, in and also the US, and Ireland (where I purchased it, specifically not getting a waiter-style corkscrew with a little knife). But thanks to the French, the world is now safe from the killer corkscrews.

I also got a lecture about how dangerous corkscrews are.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 7:28 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by jpmcdonough
Did the "security" person say something about knowing this from personal experience using it on himself?
Old Feb 7, 2009, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Nope. But he showed me a whole stack of them in their 'destroy' box.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 12:02 pm

Corkscrews??? That's ridiculous. And confiscated by the French on top of it all. Maybe he/she wanted to prevent you the malaise of drinking non-French wine after leaving the country.

I always want to say that it is easier to kill somebody with an ordinary pen than with some of the things they are confiscating.

Less than two weeks ago on my way back to the US from Germany, a German screener told me that they now allow even small Swiss Army knife type knives including the corkscrew, of course. This probably applies to all of Europe since our regulations are about the same. I believe that flying to the US from Europe a Swiss knife would definitely be a no go, which is stupid because you are allowed to bring pointed scissors up to 4 inch blade length. Those are definitely more dangerous than a Swiss knife, corkscrew or pen.

By the way, Swiss. The answer to the corkscrew problem might be the Swiss Zyliss corkscrew. It is very compact and lightweight, has a teflon-coated helix and an integrated foil cutter AND it works like a charm. The point of the helix and the foilcutter are never exposed so it is impossible to harm anyone with it. The thing is an engineering marvel. I love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Zyliss-Corkscr.../dp/B00015995Q

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 7, 2009, 1:15 pm

I've gotten very good at opening wine with a toothbrush when traveling.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Hard bristle or soft?
Old Feb 8, 2009, 11:02 am

Hard bristle or soft?
You guys crack me up!

I thought of another possible travel "corkscrew". The famous Ah-So cork remover uses two flexible blades (not sharpened) that slide in next to the cork and pull it out. This is supposed to prevent any cork breakage or little pieces falling into the precious fluid. From what I hear, if you are skillful enough, it is even possible to replace the cork in the bottle with this instrument.

The question is whether they would view that as a dangerous instrument. I think it is not really dangerous but obviously TSA might think different.

http://www.winestuff.com/acatalog/co...ble_Prong.html

It weighs only grams.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 3:53 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
At CDG on Tuesday (2 Fevrier) I had my angel wings corkscrew confiscated by security. I had it in my rollaboard. The same corkscrew has been to France a couple of times in carryon, in and also the US, and Ireland (where I purchased it, specifically not getting a waiter-style corkscrew with a little knife). But thanks to the French, the world is now safe from the killer corkscrews.

Amazing. You would think that, in France, a corkscrew would be mandatory.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:46 am

Hard bristle or soft?
Medium.

Just grab the bristles in your palm and use the handle to push the cork into the bottle.

Last month was the first time I didn't spill one drop of wine.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by tfar
Y
I thought of another possible travel "corkscrew". The famous Ah-So cork remover uses two flexible blades (not sharpened) that slide in next to the cork and pull it out. This is supposed to prevent any cork breakage or little pieces falling into the precious fluid. From what I hear, if you are skillful enough, it is even possible to replace the cork in the bottle with this instrument.

The question is whether they would view that as a dangerous instrument. I think it is not really dangerous but obviously TSA might think different.

http://www.winestuff.com/acatalog/co...ble_Prong.html

It weighs only grams.
These are great... I used one for many years until lost.

There's no way the TSA would allow it on a plane though.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It doesn't matter if you have a special corkscrew that can't harm anyone, and it doesn't matter if you have scissors with rounded tips on the end. At certain terminals at CDG, they will take it away anyways. Especially 2E which has flights to the USA. I had a huge almost-screaming argument in French about the idiocy of confiscating rounded edge safety scissors. I called over every supervisor they had and reamed them a good one. But I still left without my scissors.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by macabus
I've gotten very good at opening wine with a toothbrush when traveling.
I have gotten pretty good at opening beer bottles with hotel furniture if the opener is somehow missing from the room
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Could this sudden extreme danger of corkscrews on planes leaving France for the USA be in retaliation of the last US administration's 300% import tax on french roquefort cheese?
Old Feb 12, 2009, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
Could this sudden extreme danger of corkscrews on planes leaving France for the USA be in retaliation of the last US administration's 300% import tax on french roquefort cheese?
Actually, some French cheeses could make great weapons - stink out the whole airplane...

Yum!!
Old Feb 12, 2009, 6:14 pm

Programs: I work for the TSA
Maybe among the cheese-eating surrender monkeys, a terrorist could take over a plane by threatening to serve an inferior wine?

(j/k, of course)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.