Wiki Posts
Search

Passport/CBP Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2008, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Passport/CBP Question

Hello people.

I was recently naturalized as a US citizen and had applied for a passport a few days after. But then, I received an emergency call and had to go back to my country of origin. So I applied for an emergency passport, which was really smooth and convenient, and I was immediately given one that is valid for six months.

Upon checking-in at NWA, I was told that they couldn't board me because the passport validity of my destination country has to be at least six months from the date of contemplated return. It was a Saturday and the Regional Passport Service I went to was closed and would not open until the following weekday. Besides, I didn't want to change my flight since it was a valid emergency worthy of an emergency passport (which is why I was given one). Nonetheless, the NWA agent told me that there was nothing she could do. I was an hour away from my departure and still had not checked-in nor passed through the TSA, so in an act of desperation I told her that I was a dual citizen since I had brought my foreign citizenship's passport with me, and that its expiration is years away. It had worked and she boarded me, but registered my foreign passport's information instead.

When I arrived at my destination, I showed my US Passport instead and got the stamp for it. I had no problems at the immigration even with the less-than-six-months validity of my passport.

Now my question is would that cause any problem when I return to the US? What sort of questions should I anticipate upon arriving at my port of entry?

I've been thinking about it all the time and searched the Internet but I couldn't find a targeted answer. But essentially, I am just scared I won't be able to enter the US because of that.

P.S.
I went to the US Embassy to renew my passport but I was told that it would take at least a month (which I have) before I could get a 10-year passport. And I am now legally a dual citizen.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
This should cause ZERO problems as long as the incoming country stamped the US passport and you return on the US passport...

Do not even mention the 2nd original country passport when you arrive back in the US. It makes little difference as you are a US Citizen. Technically you are not supposed to use a foreign passport to leave/enter the US but you did in fact use the US passport to enter your original home country - so as long as that passport stamp is shown I don't think you will have an issue.

Lesson here is; next time pay an expediter or service to get you a real passport quicker (NOT an emergency passport), many countries like Taiwan have the 6 month rule - although in the case of Taiwan US citizen can be still arrive with passports shorter than 6 months validity you just need to pay for a landing visa (expensive). Most airlines will let you fly if you sign an indemnity release (we did this for one our guys flying to Taiwan and Cathay Pacific handled it well)
Old Sep 11, 2008, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Nobody needs a passport to leave the US - you just need a valid one (and possibly a visa) to get a border pass to a foreign country. As far as using multiple passports, this is done all the time - use your foreign passport when checking in in the US to get your boarding pass, then use your US passport when you return.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by catocony
Nobody needs a passport to leave the US - you just need a valid one (and possibly a visa) to get a border pass to a foreign country.

Actually... you do need a passport to depart the USA by air. The airline has to swipe the passport to compare your name/identity against various government watch lists (for outstanding warrants, suspicious activity, unpaid bills or child support, etc). If you are okay to travel, your boarding passes will say "DOCS OK" and you can go.

But that's a separate issue.

The main issue here is that the airline didn't want to board the OP because if he/she had arrived without proper documentation at the host country and got denied admission, the airline would have to pay to fly him/her home (because it was the airline's fault for letting him/her get on board without confirming eligibility to enter the host country). The airline doesn't want that kind of financial liability.

That's why the ticket agents always check your passport/visas/etc to make sure that you have no document-related reason for not being admissible to the host country.

Of course, if you get denied entry for another reason--because you violated some local law, or were caught with illegal items--then it would be YOUR fault (not the airline's), and YOU would be liable for the expenses associated with your repatriation to your home country.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Actually... you do need a passport to depart the USA by air. The airline has to swipe the passport to compare your name/identity against various government watch lists (for outstanding warrants, suspicious activity, unpaid bills or child support, etc). If you are okay to travel, your boarding passes will say "DOCS OK" and you can go.

But that's a separate issue.

The main issue here is that the airline didn't want to board the OP because if he/she had arrived without proper documentation at the host country and got denied admission, the airline would have to pay to fly him/her home (because it was the airline's fault for letting him/her get on board without confirming eligibility to enter the host country). The airline doesn't want that kind of financial liability.

That's why the ticket agents always check your passport/visas/etc to make sure that you have no document-related reason for not being admissible to the host country.
Yes, that's an airline rule. Because if you're refused admission, the airline is required to fly you back -- on their dime.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
What the agent should have done is scanned your US passport, not your foreign passport. As a US citizen you are supposed to leave on your US passport. What you use to enter the other country, the US doesn't care as much, and showing (but not letting the agent scan) your foreign passport would have been sufficient for the agent to issue you a BP.

To enter your home country, you could have used either, although your home country passport is probably less of a hassle in terms of lines, etc. And, of course, your country may have similar regulations to those of the US, in which case you have to enter with your home country's passport.

In the end, I don't think it will be a big deal, when you re-enter the US you will certainly use your US passport.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
What the agent should have done is scanned your US passport, not your foreign passport. As a US citizen you are supposed to leave on your US passport. What you use to enter the other country, the US doesn't care as much, and showing (but not letting the agent scan) your foreign passport would have been sufficient for the agent to issue you a BP.

To enter your home country, you could have used either, although your home country passport is probably less of a hassle in terms of lines, etc. And, of course, your country may have similar regulations to those of the US, in which case you have to enter with your home country's passport.

In the end, I don't think it will be a big deal, when you re-enter the US you will certainly use your US passport.

Agreed. You could ask the TA to swipe your US passport to authorize your departure from the country, and then show your foreign passport to document that you can enter the host country.

In fact, it could cause problems for you on the return if you depart the USA on a non-US passport and try to re-enter on a US passport. All of your departures and arrivals (by air) show up on the passport control officer's screen, and if you are re-entering without showing a departure, you might get sent to secondary for some questioning.

It happened to a friend of mine who went by land into Mexico and then flew back. The CBP computer didn't have a record of his departure, so he was detained briefly while he explained how he had left the country without having his passport swiped.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
First I've heard of anyone being denied the use of a US passport on-the-fly as opposed to a refusal to issue a passport. Does this really happen? Is the hapless individual then stuck with his nonrefundable ticket?
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mbstone
First I've heard of anyone being denied the use of a US passport on-the-fly as opposed to a refusal to issue a passport. Does this really happen? Is the hapless individual then stuck with his nonrefundable ticket?
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:26 pm

Programs: Club Premier, AmEx Plat, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Pickles

The U.S. has no departing procedures (Unlike others like Schengen countries or Japan, Korea or whoever), the documents check is for the agent to cover her a** and not get fired because the ariline had to pay the return ticket to a possible deportee (some countries do refuse entry VERY strictly if you have less than 6 months left in your passport).
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
US might not have a defined process for the passenger, but they get the passenger lists and process those from the airlines. They are certainly privy to the passport information (and more)

I thought you needed to give up the other passport/nationality when you become a US citizen, that dual citizenship only happens when it's based on parents nationality/location of birth -- was that ever the case?
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by GoingAway
US might not have a defined process for the passenger, but they get the passenger lists and process those from the airlines. They are certainly privy to the passport information (and more)

I thought you needed to give up the other passport/nationality when you become a US citizen, that dual citizenship only happens when it's based on parents nationality/location of birth -- was that ever the case?
This went away YEARS ago... No one I know has been asked to give up their previous passport due to issues with countries that you CANNOT give up Citizenship on (e.g. China) in where the US could not protect these new citizens. The US does quietly accept "Dual Citizenship", not that they want to but it is accepted that some countries will not accept the fact that you gave up their citizenship.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 1:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
A lot of confusion on this thread, but most here seem to have it right:

1) the USA does NOT check your passport on departure

2) the check by the AIRLINES (not the government) on check-in for a departing flight is to establish that you have the proper documents needed to ENTER the DESTINATION country, nothing to do with your EXIT from the USA

It hadn't occurred to me before the stupidity of USA "emergency passports" having a validity of only six months, as most countries require passports to be valid for a minimum of six months from date of entry, making such passports useless in most cases.

Yet another case of brilliant thinking on the part of the DHS.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:51 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by polonius
It hadn't occurred to me before the stupidity of USA "emergency passports" having a validity of only six months, as most countries require passports to be valid for a minimum of six months from date of entry, making such passports useless in most cases.

Yet another case of brilliant thinking on the part of the DHS.
The thinking is that you'll use the emergency passport to get home, then use it to apply for a "real" one. My dad lost his passport in Germany. The embassy there issued him a 6 month one, along with instructions on how to send it in for a full 10 year one. He did that when he got home and had a new one in acouple of weeks.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 7:55 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
In fact, it could cause problems for you on the return if you depart the USA on a non-US passport and try to re-enter on a US passport. All of your departures and arrivals (by air) show up on the passport control officer's screen, and if you are re-entering without showing a departure, you might get sent to secondary for some questioning.

It happened to a friend of mine who went by land into Mexico and then flew back. The CBP computer didn't have a record of his departure, so he was detained briefly while he explained how he had left the country without having his passport swiped.
Originally Posted by Aldoman
The U.S. has no departing procedures (Unlike others like Schengen countries or Japan, Korea or whoever), the documents check is for the agent to cover her a** and not get fired because the ariline had to pay the return ticket to a possible deportee (some countries do refuse entry VERY strictly if you have less than 6 months left in your passport).
It would appear, based on ESpen's friend's experience that we have defacto exit control from the requirement that airlines submit the manifest with PP numbers to CBP. Further, at some airports (I've seen it personally at RDU), CBP officers check passports of people boarding planes.

Originally Posted by polonius
A lot of confusion on this thread, but most here seem to have it right:

1) the USA does NOT check your passport on departure

2) the check by the AIRLINES (not the government) on check-in for a departing flight is to establish that you have the proper documents needed to ENTER the DESTINATION country, nothing to do with your EXIT from the USA
But you forgot the fact that DHS and CBP require that airlines submit the manifest.... and they use that information to check various lists (and can deny the ability to travel or remove folks from planes). As noted above, I've seen the jetway checks at RDU by CBP personnel, and I've seen CBP people walk through an aircraft at CVG inspecting documents for departing intl passengers.

Taken together, the US has departure control, even if it's not structured the same way as some other countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.