Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Will getting a state-issued conceal carry permit cause any problems when I fly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2008, 2:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

will getting a state-issued conceal carry permit cause any problems when I fly?

according to the state police, my car(or any vehicle license plate registered under my name) will be flagged as soon as a trooper enters it into the computer during a routine traffic stop. it's to alert the trooper that the driver has a conceal carry permit and may have a firearm inside the vehicle or on his/her person.

now that I think about it, will the DHS, TSA, airlines, or any other agency have access to this data? if so, will this cause any problems for me when I fly? (obviously I will not carry when I head to the airport)
Old Aug 28, 2008, 2:54 pm

If they have any sort of access to the data, it has not caused me any problems. I don't expect you to have any issues by simply owning a CCP.

There wasn't even any comment from a state police officer (my home state) when he pulled me over for failure to signal a lane change.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
I've had a concealed carry permit in Oregon for 8 years. Never has created a problem for me while flying.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
NO.

Congratulations on getting your CHL. Remember, having a gun and not needing it, is one heck of a lot better than needing it and not having. Carry all the time when you can and it will become second nature. When you can't, make sure that you have a decent impact weapon and train to use it. I carry the Surefire 6P Defender and a Benchmade pen . . .

Gun control: the rules that require a 110 pound woman to fight a 210 pound rapist with her bare hands.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 6:42 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
the only issues i foresee are:

if you use your ccw permit* as i/d when showing it to the tsa moat dragon or contract i/d checker as they'd probably have a stroke**

if you happen to forget your i/d where you then win a round in the new hit tsa game show called "20 questions" where your ccw permit might show up in the info big brother (oops, i mean the tsa) is reviewing

*assuming it meets the "real i/d" requirements as set forth by tsar skeletor the 1st

**hmmmmm-may not be a bad thing ;

but seriously, it should not be an issue at all
Old Aug 28, 2008, 6:45 pm

I thought about trying to get a concealed carry permit for use at the airport before TSA made the list of approved stuff.

I figured it would make for some interesting stories.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:08 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Many (if not most) states maintain no statewide database of concealed weapon permits, and of the ones that do, only a few link them to your drivers license or vehicle registration data. Law enforcement officers aren't especially concerned about people who go through the process necessary to obtain a permit, as the incidence of them engaging in unlawful behavior is close to nil.

I have no way of knowing what databases the TSA has access to in building their no-fly and "persons of interest" lists, but finding out whether someone has a concealed weapon permit would be a chore in states where the permits are issued by the local police or sheriff's department, and no statewide database was maintained.

You won't be carrying the gun when going through the airport, so I wouldn't even bring it up if questioned by a TSA agent. As I have described in other posts, I have seen some odd behavior when TSOs are notified there is a firearm in my checked baggage.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by scottishbride
will getting a state-issued conceal carry permit cause any problems when I fly?

according to the state police, my car(or any vehicle license plate registered under my name) will be flagged as soon as a trooper enters it into the computer during a routine traffic stop. it's to alert the trooper that the driver has a conceal carry permit and may have a firearm inside the vehicle or on his/her person.

now that I think about it, will the DHS, TSA, airlines, or any other agency have access to this data? if so, will this cause any problems for me when I fly? (obviously I will not carry when I head to the airport)
Shouldn't cause any problems with TSA or airlines, so long as you don't try to carry in the airport sterile area. (The rules are pretty strict on that.)

Congratulations on your new permit. I hope you have a nice gun, and the appropriate gun safety and tactical pistol classes all picked out.

Gun control: Sharp eye, steady hand.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:39 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by Dresden
you have a decent impact weapon and train to use it. I carry the Surefire 6P Defender and a Benchmade pen . . .

Mhh I hope the TSA doesn't read it - otherwise you will no longer allowed to bring a pen and a flash light ....
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:53 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
No, it will not cause problems. I have had one in VA for more than a decade (12 years now, IIRC), and have had one in NH previously as well (non-resident permit there), and have never had a problem with flying.

If anything, the permit ought to allow you free use of the Clear and other "registered traveler" lanes, as most states' permitting processes are more in-depth than the Clear background check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.