Wiki Posts
Search

Putting Macbook Pro in the X-ray Bin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Putting Macbook Pro in the X-ray Bin

I am a little concerned about putting my beloved macbook pro in the x-ray bin. It came in a really thin cloth-like bag and I was thinking I would place it in the bin in that to protect it.

Do you think the TSA would have a problem with this?

Does anyone else worry about sending their laptops through the X-ray gauntlet naked?
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:41 am
Cee

The "TSA friendly" laptop bags have been approved, and it is not limited to only specific bags. My understanding of it is that any bag, sleeve or cover that does not obscure the view of the laptop is OK. If the bag has no zippers, buckles or latches, and the bag only contains the computer (no cords, extra hard drives,etc) it is *supposed* to be OK to keep your laptop in the bag.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:00 am

Programs: DL FO MM,
Originally Posted by Concorde69
I am a little concerned about putting my beloved macbook pro in the x-ray bin. It came in a really thin cloth-like bag and I was thinking I would place it in the bin in that to protect it.

Do you think the TSA would have a problem with this?

Does anyone else worry about sending their laptops through the X-ray gauntlet naked?

Hi,

I purchased a neoprene sleeve for my 15" MacBook Pro. It stays in the sleeve through the x-ray machine. Never had any comment about it.

Good luck.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:37 am

Programs: LH
here, I asked today and they said: No way!
You are right to be concerned, as no mac works afterwards.
It is only a myth that the x-ray does not harm your mac.
With Vista, it is different. Must be a feature of Windows. Because my XP also works.
Best option: leave it at home. There are no scratches, no worms and no hackers ... Or am I mistaken?
Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:49 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Cee
The "TSA friendly" laptop bags have been approved, and it is not limited to only specific bags. My understanding of it is that any bag, sleeve or cover that does not obscure the view of the laptop is OK. If the bag has no zippers, buckles or latches, and the bag only contains the computer (no cords, extra hard drives,etc) it is *supposed* to be OK to keep your laptop in the bag.
here's a link from the tsa website but in my "old age", i'm just a tad confused.....

some of the designs which "have potential"........the first image looks very similar to goalie-mom's 5 year old targus zippered bag. so in theory from that image, if it "passes muster", all she would have to do is unzip the bag and leave it open so the laptop is visible and unobstructed. i see lots of problems with the "consistent inconsistencies" from airport to airport and screener to screener...."all laptops out"-->"that's the wrong type of bag, take your laptop out"--->"that's fine, just unzip the bag and leave it open"
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by chumbawumba
here, I asked today and they said: No way!
You are right to be concerned, as no mac works afterwards.
It is only a myth that the x-ray does not harm your mac.
With Vista, it is different. Must be a feature of Windows. Because my XP also works.
Best option: leave it at home. There are no scratches, no worms and no hackers ... Or am I mistaken?
Surely you jest?!
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:38 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
When travelling, I put my 17" MacBook Pro inside one of these sleeves and then inside my briefcase:

http://www.radtech.us/Products/SleevzNotebooks.aspx

and never have had a problem going through security with the sleeve protecting my MBP while in the bin for the x-ray machine. I've done this at countless airports.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1P, National Exec Elite
Please don't use the plastic (or "cloth-like) wrapper it came in!

There are plenty of very good sleeves that you can use to protect your MBP. I use a Tucano sleeve for mine.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Stop worrying about it, you'll be fine. I protect my MBP like a baby too, but a trip through a bin isn't a threatening occurance. Silly? Sure, but it's not going to hurt your MBP. I've taken mine through more flights than I care to mention, and I'm still using it (right now, in fact).
Old Aug 3, 2008, 3:06 pm

Programs: LH
The first cut is the deepest.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 4:07 pm

What's the point of laptops out anyway?

In any other country it would be "Is this a laptop?" "yes" "Okay, enjoy your flight. Thank you."
Old Aug 3, 2008, 4:13 pm

What you want is a Speck case. The plastic bin shall trouble you no more.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
yeah i think i am going to go with the radtech case since it is pretty slim fitting. Thanks for all the recommendations.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 6:40 pm

When I worked for TSA, at our airport we let people keep the laptop in their nylon sleeves...
Old Aug 4, 2008, 1:48 am

Programs: too many of the few that are left
Originally Posted by JakiChan
What you want is a Speck case. The plastic bin shall trouble you no more.
I was very unhappy with the Speck case.

The static they generate fiercely attracts abrasive dust: mine badly scratched my brand-new MacBook within a week, although everything was scrupulously cleaned before installing. (Directions warn of this, advise removing and cleaning the inside surface of the cover often.) And I'm much more compulsive than most about setting it on clean surfaces, keeping laptop case immaculate, cleaning hands before use, etc.

Mac store I purchased it from took it back without complaint after seeing the damage.

Now happily using the zipperless neoprene Case Logic foldover, have only been asked to remove the laptop once. (Argued; won.) But the deep scratches still bug me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.