Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing back adult beverages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2008, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott gold, AA DL, NW
Bringing back adult beverages

Quick question, I will be departing Mexico City on Friday. I have two bottles of Cointreau that I would like to bring back with me. I can't ship them and I am afraid if I put it in my checked bag it will end up broken. I was told that in Mexico they do not have the archaic rules that the US has concerning carry on liquids. If I clear security in Mexico City will I have to clear it again upon reaching the US before my connecting flight? Any ideas or should I just drink it all before I leave. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 5:42 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
DON'T DO IT! At your US POE (Port of Entry) you will go through Immigration and Customs - and then through standard TSA security screening before you can access your connecting flight. That screening will deny you the ability to carry-on those bottles.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 6:15 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I cannot tell you how many people I have seen heartbroken when their alcohol or wine was consficated.... you will either have to place it in your checked luggage before you recheck it.... or throw it away.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 6:38 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
The only exception here is if the passenger doesn't have to change planes, i.e, the arrival airport is his/her final destination. There would be no confiscation of the liquor in that case as long as it was within the limits that US Customs allows for returning pax.

The OP in this case has a connecting flight so I agree with the other comments. Either don't bring it back or be ready to insert it into your checked luggage.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
When I know I have to check bottles, I've taken bubble-wrap with me and wrapped them in bubble-wrap then clothes, and never had a bottle burst.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 6:58 am

Programs: AC SE
Just pack the items in your checked bags. Never had a spill when done correctly. It still amazes me that people are afraid of checking bottles.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 7:05 am

Programs: AA Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Keep an eye on the bag's weight. Bottles quickly rack up the pounds.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 7:10 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by fly-yul
Just pack the items in your checked bags. Never had a spill when done correctly. It still amazes me that people are afraid of checking bottles.
I had a well-packed bottle of Scotch break in my suitcase several years ago. So it does happen.

Originally Posted by aspex
Keep an eye on the bag's weight. Bottles quickly rack up the pounds.
Good point. Exceed the airline weight limits for luggage and suddenly that inexpensive or "duty-free" liquor is not such a bargain after all.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 7:14 am

Mostly I bring back wine. Two years ago I ordered some wine from woot.wine.com, and my four bottles came in a set of four really nice styrofoam inserts and a giant ziploc bag. I regularly use that to bring back wine, or stuff in wine-shaped bottles.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 7:17 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I don't check bags.

Because of the asinine liquid restrictions, I buy my adult beverages locally. So sorry, airport and other retailers. Take it up with the moronic government actors whose lies are responsible for this stupidity.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 7:26 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by fly-yul
absolutely right. i successfully brought back 16 bottles of wine from france* in my trusty 22" travel-pro. wrap each bottle in a t-shirt, lay them flat cork-to-bottom, use socks and underwear (clean of course ) to fill in the spaces and depending on how many bottles you have, lay a t-shirt or two over the first layer and repeat the wrapping for the second layer.

*quiz: did i pay any duty/taxes when clearing customs?
Old Jul 29, 2008, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cholula
The only exception here is if the passenger doesn't have to change planes, i.e, the arrival airport is his/her final destination. There would be no confiscation of the liquor in that case as long as it was within the limits that US Customs allows for returning pax.

The OP in this case has a connecting flight so I agree with the other comments. Either don't bring it back or be ready to insert it into your checked luggage.

Just for quick clarification -- you can bring as much liquor back as you want, there is no limit.

However, there is a restricted amount you can bring back duty-free.

The limit is one liter. That said, most Customs people will deem the paperwork and hassle for 1.5 or two liters to be unnecessary and just let you go.

As for the security, I find wrapping the bottle in the original bag from the store and putting it in the middle of dirty laundry to be the best method for two reasons. First, the security from it breaking. Second, the thieves will likely not want to go through dirty laundry.

As for the TSA inspection nonsense, I think the flight from Mexico City to the US WILL be subject to the liquid nonsense, so act accordingly.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:26 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
i've read on here the duty on another liter can be as low as 40 cents or so...

also, i've checked liquor in my packed bag a few times, wrapped in towels (thank you hotel), or in my clothes, and had no problems
Old Jul 29, 2008, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
I have had no problems bringing back Cruzan 151 rum ($4.75 in BVI ofr 750ml!) wrapped in a fabric bottle carrier inside clothes. The liquor store should be able to provide some kind of carrier for you.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 2:00 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
I have had no problems bringing back Cruzan 151 rum ($4.75 in BVI ofr 750ml!) wrapped in a fabric bottle carrier inside clothes. The liquor store should be able to provide some kind of carrier for you.
Just a reminder that technically, alcohol higher than 140 proof is not allowed as it is against IATA Dangerous Goods regulations because it is combustable.

That being said, for that price on Cruzan 151, I'd probably have brought back a bottle also - at least you don't lose much money if it is confiscated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.