Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA blog: "Ask, and we'll answer top 10 questions"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2008, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

From the TSA blog ("Calling All Lurkers", July 18, 2008):

We're going to dedicate this post to taking your top 10 questions. Ask away and on Monday at close of business, I'll begin tallying up the questions and we'll see to it that the top 10 questions are answered. We’ll try to get them all posted within a week.
I posted a list I've been repeating:
  1. Where is the information from a TSA SSI expert about x-ray images of Apple's latest laptop computer Bob wrote that he would provide?
  2. Where are the un-doctored full frontal images created by the electronic strip search machines?
  3. Where is the Privacy Impact Assessment for the new form that TSA provides to people who claim to be unable to present credentials at TSA airport checkpoints?
  4. In the context of ensuring air travel safety, what is the difference between two people, both of whom are willing to cooperate with TSA's invasive interrogations, one of whom politely declines to show ID, the other of whom claims he lost or misplaced his ID?
  5. Why are the reported 10 people per day who decline to show ID considered so likely to be a threat to air travel security that TSA restricted their right to travel by refusing to allow them past TSA's airport checkpoints?
  6. How does the cost of this new policy of invasive interrogations at government checkpoints in airports compare to that of to the previous policy of thoroughly screening anyone who did not show ID regardless of his reasoning?
  7. TSA cites 49 C.F.R. § 1540.107 and 1540.105(a)(2) as the law giving them authority to demand identification as a condition of granting access to a sterile area of an airport. 49 C.F.R § 1540.5 appears to limit such passenger screenings to searches for weapons, explosives, and incendiaries as the only requirement for granting access to the sterile area. How does TSA reconcile this conflict?
Old Jul 18, 2008, 4:28 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
how about adding #8: does the x-ray machine detect explosives?
Old Jul 18, 2008, 4:34 pm
pbz

Programs: AA Gold
How much taxpayer $$$ has being wasted on this futile attempt to create good PR. (And I don't mean the thread. Or the blog. I mean the entire TSA.)
Old Jul 18, 2008, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
9. If I put a turkey sandwich in a blender and bring it through security will it be considered a liquid? (hey, maybe my jaw will have to be wired shut someday!)
Old Jul 18, 2008, 5:59 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by drummingcraig
9. If I put a turkey sandwich in a blender and bring it through security will it be considered a liquid? (hey, maybe my jaw will have to be wired shut someday!)
interesting point about having one's jaw wired shut-i'm surprised it hasn't happened by now where a pax was denied their food because it was a liquid. (but mr./ms. tso, it's not a liquid, it's a purée as that's all i can eat due to my broken jaw)
Old Jul 18, 2008, 6:15 pm
Suspended

As they say in Southern Russia...

Originally Posted by goalie
(but mr./ms. tso, it's not a liquid, it's a purée as that's all i can eat due to my broken jaw)
...toughski shitshi, y'all.

#10 I want the complete audit trail regarding the addition of the name Drew Griffin on the terrorist watch list. I want to know who entered the name, who authorized it, and I want whoever authorized it placed under oath to detail the justification for submitting that name.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 6:07 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Angry

Originally Posted by drummingcraig
dont remind me...jaw surgery on Monday,
Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by pbz
How much taxpayer $$$ has being wasted on this futile attempt to create good PR. (And I don't mean the thread. Or the blog. I mean the entire TSA.)
Evidently, not enough.

Maybe they need to hire the Ad Agency that is doing the new Honda promotion....
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IslandBased
Evidently, not enough.

Maybe they need to hire the Ad Agency that is doing the new Honda promotion....
I doubt even they could make the TSA look good.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. Why can't the liquids that passengers bring be tested in the same fashion that the liquids that are sold airside?

2. After more than six years in existence, why is the TSA, for the most part, using the same x-ray equipment that the private screeners used, yet the TSA can find the money to issue new uniforms and badges to its workforce?

I'll think of more later.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:50 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by n4zhg
#10 I want the complete audit trail regarding the addition of the name Drew Griffin on the terrorist watch list. I want to know who entered the name, who authorized it, and I want whoever authorized it placed under oath to detail the justification for submitting that name.
Of course we know how they're going to respond to this one. 'We don't discuss individual cases. To do so would give the enemy an understanding of our procedures'.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by goalie
interesting point about having one's jaw wired shut-i'm surprised it hasn't happened by now where a pax was denied their food because it was a liquid. (but mr./ms. tso, it's not a liquid, it's a purée as that's all i can eat due to my broken jaw)
Actually, having had a broken jaw (5 places, thank you) & wired shut for 10 days, trust me, food was of no interest. The worst part is the inability to brush your teeth, especially the insides, for the duration. Gross doesn't even begin to describe it (sorry, pinkcat)

Back on topic-I find it interesting that despite begging for the lurkers to come out of the woodwork (me thinks they were hoping for cheerleaders?) most of the posts are similar to those we've seen all along; questions the TSA either can't or simply won't answer.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 1:30 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
#1 - Please justify your existence.
#2 - Please answer the previous question
Old Jul 19, 2008, 1:43 pm

Since Bob doesn't specify the qualifications for the top ten questions- repetition, ability of the average TSA cheerleader to follow both question and answer, or other criteria, it will be interesting to see what he picks. With only 4000 unique readers per week, the bulk being "the silent majority", we can only imagine how that reinforces the concept of how great a job TSA is doing. Too bad more people don't brighten the blog with their checkpoint sagas...

Last edited by IslandBased; Jul 19, 2008 at 1:49 pm
Old Jul 19, 2008, 1:48 pm

My list of 10 questions to ask the TSA.

1. When will you stop harassing passengers?
2. When will you stop harassing passengers?
3. When will you stop harassing passengers?
4. When will you stop harassing passengers?
5. When will you stop harassing passengers?
6. When will you stop harassing passengers?
7. When will you stop harassing passengers?
8. When will you stop harassing passengers?
9. When will you stop harassing passengers?
10. When will you stop harassing passengers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.