Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"If you've seen our SOP, we have a problem . . ."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"If you've seen our SOP, we have a problem . . ."

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
OSA-type legislation often enough applies to individuals who are not in the employ of the government and are not given such government security clearance as you mention.
This was for a private employer -- I worked in aerospace for a long time and needed the clearance to work on some specific projects we were doing for the government.

Amongst others subjected to such legislation, include lawyers, publishers and journalists who have been forced to gag themselves as they don't want to end up in prison or separated from their assets/income for doing nothing more than publishing or publicly discussing (even in open court) "secret" information that came into their possession without even any wrongdoing on their part.
Interesting. I've never encountered that, fortunately.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:37 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dgolding
No. The US currently does not have an "official secrets" act. In other countries, disseminating classified or even sensitive information is a crime, but not here, with one caveat - if you give it to a foreign national, you could be arrested for espionage or violating technology export licensing, depending on the content.
It's a crime if you hold clearances (or ever have held them). The obligation is for a lifetime, so leaving my job and being debriefed, or having my clearances revoked would not permit me to disclose, confirm, deny, etc. classified information to which I have been privy.

I would assume that after having been debriefed if I became privy through other channels to classified info I hadn't been privy to in the course of my job, I'd be the same as a journalist or other member of the public in that role, and wouldn't face the same obligations. But I wouldn't want to test that.

However, I do believe the courts have generally held in the US that it's not criminal at all for journalists, etc., to seek out and disclose classified information. Now, as to the people giving that info to them, well, they could be in trouble, assuming it was indeed leake to them and not just discovered (like the existence of the NRO, which IIRC the FAS discovered through examining blueprints on file with building permit applications in the Fairfax County courthouse. Heck, people at my company STILL are gimpy about anything to do with the NRO even though its existence and location are now public info--you can drive by the building today and see signs out front proclaiming its existence.)
Old Jul 22, 2008, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget
He could have been referring to the fact that if you plainly admitted that you had unauthorized access to the S.O.P., that a dozen or so people would want to talk to you about it. Kind of a catch-22. You tell him and he does nothing, he's negligent. You tell him and he reports it, wheels get spinning over something that amounts to nothing.
Sorry, explain three small bits to this numbskull that I confess to be: why would the SOP of the TSA be secret in any way, shape or form? Why would "a dozen or so people want to talk to PTravel about it"? How would the TSA ensure that PTravel stuck around such that this dozen or so people could talk with him?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.