Wiki Posts
Search

Peanut Butter or Cheese allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2008, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US UA AA DL CO
Peanut Butter or Cheese allowed?

Does anyone have past experience bringing a jar of peanut butter (just regular, not anything special or homemade) past security? Or a small "brick" of cheese, something common like Velveeta (not spread)?

Please, please, do NOT quote from the TSA website. I am interested in hearing if anyone has (first hand) been told that is prohibited by a TSA person.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:08 pm

Programs: BA Blue
I've read accounts from people on FT saying that their jars of peanut butter were confiscated. My question is can you bring a peanut butter and jelly sandwich through security?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Concorde69
I've read accounts from people on FT saying that their jars of peanut butter were confiscated. My question is can you bring a peanut butter and jelly sandwich through security?
PBJ sandwiches are my staples whenever I travel - first class or not. At least I some thing nice to munch in case of irregular ops, and something which I can easily obtain from home or from the hotel lounge/ restaurant.

I have not had any problems so far with PB Sandwiches.....
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Didn't have any trouble with a was covered wedge of cheddar...
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:32 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
I travel a lot with my family - wife, 4yo & 1 yo. We have carried as many as 1/2 a dozen PB&Js though multiple airport TSA checkpoints without problem. ^

I also fly to MKE a lot, and as a person who formerly lived in WI, and can't seem to find good cheese on the East Coast (Vermont cheddar is awful!) I have at times carried as much as 8 pounds of block cheese in my carry on.

I wouldn't expect a jar of peanut butter to make it though.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:43 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
the TSOs on here have said that there is no restriction on something like a PBJ sandwich or pizza or something like that
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
A peanut butter sandwich is OK. A jar of peanut butter is not.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by embarassedCATSAscreener
I think that you should be just fine bring your own sandwiches into sterile area. I don't see anything more specific information from TSA this time. You can make it your own sandwiches at home before you come to airports. I think TSA had been not a common problems with Peanut butter & Jelly, too.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Blue
Just make sure your sandwich has 3 ounces or less of peanut butter on it!
Old Jul 3, 2008, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What about an empty jar, a sandwich 4" thick and a spoon to put it back in the jar once I clear the screening? Such a stupid rule.

It cheddar safer than brie because it is definitely a solid while brie can get runny?
Old Jul 3, 2008, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by sammy0623
the TSOs on here have said that there is no restriction on something like a PBJ sandwich or pizza or something like that
Unless they're really hungry at the checkpoint. In which case, they may determine that you have more than 3 oz of sauce on that pizza.

Originally Posted by sbm12
What about an empty jar, a sandwich 4" thick and a spoon to put it back in the jar once I clear the screening? Such a stupid rule.

It cheddar safer than brie because it is definitely a solid while brie can get runny?
Actually, neither is safe, because if you found an oven, you could melt the cheddar, which would then make it a liquid.

Mike
Old Jul 3, 2008, 7:16 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
That's ridiculous. PB is NOT a liquid and surely not a gel. It's pretty damn solid.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 7:17 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mikeef
Unless they're really hungry at the checkpoint. In which case, they may determine that you have more than 3 oz of sauce on that pizza.

Actually, neither is safe, because if you found an oven, you could melt the cheddar, which would then make it a liquid.

Mike
With the right temperature applied almost anything can be a liquid.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Hard cheese (eg: cheddar) is allowed. Soft cheese, such as cottage, is not.

If the TSA finds you with over 3 ounces of cottage cheese, it will call an LEO.

Officially this is known as, "Cheezit -- the cops!"
Old Jul 3, 2008, 7:33 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by Dovster
Hard cheese (eg: cheddar) is allowed. Soft cheese, such as cottage, is not.

If the TSA finds you with over 3 ounces of cottage cheese, it will call an LEO.

Officially this is known as, "Cheezit -- the cops!"
As someone who works with cheese for a living, I have to snicker when I read stuff like this - especially since cottage cheese curd and cheddar cheese curd have about the same consistency coming out of a cheese vat. Cottage cheese just gets dumped in a milk/cream dressing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.