Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My "Fake" Drivers License is a Done Deal

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2008, 7:31 am

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Con - jury duty in HI (a con depending on how you look at it, I guess)
Not seeing the con.
(Conversation with the spouse)
'Darn it honey, we have to go back to Hawai'i as I've got jury duty.'
Old May 7, 2008, 8:57 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by fly-yul
Don't you need a valid Florida licenses to register a car and have insurance?

If you own a car in FL what are you doing about that?

Or will you get a new out of state FL license using your HI one?
Florida will issue you a nonresident license if you wish and you may keep your out of state license. That's what I've done, I have a Florida nonresident license (virtually indistinguishable from a normal license). The only difference, on the back it says "valid only in florida" or something of the nature, which I quickly blocked with a divers direct frequent shopper barcode sticker.
Old May 7, 2008, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MKEbound
Many do.

In many states you only need to prove that you can d-r-i-v-e to get a DL.

Off the top of my head I think that CT, CA & WI don't require you to prove you are not a foreigner, only that you live in the state and can pass the drivers test.
Wisconsin requires proof of legal presence. Even lifelong state residents are now required to show a birth certificate or passport when renewing their license, and license applicants who have never lived in Wisconsin before have to wait a week for their license to be mailed to them to verify proof of residency.

The state needs to prioritize the "driving" part of a driver's license over the "ID" part...having a license in Wisconsin hardly matters as the number of people driving here with a suspended license/no license and without insurance is ridiculously high (neither law is enforced very strictly.)
Old May 7, 2008, 9:04 am
mkt

Originally Posted by soitgoes
It is illegal in most (perhaps all) US states to concurrently hold a driver's license from more than one US jurisdiction.
nope
Old May 7, 2008, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
I was nailed in Minnesota once when I had a long term assignment there. I was charged with not having a MN driver license and no MN registration on my car.

I went to court with my voters registration, children's report cards, DL, house tax bill etc. It was dismissed.

It seems lots of Minnesotans register their cars in Wisconsin to save on auto fees and insurance and I was caught in the crackdown.
Old May 7, 2008, 9:13 am
mkt

Originally Posted by bocastephen
If I get pulled over and a cop asks me why I have a HI DL, I'm just going to say I live both places, and that is my primary. He can't verify it either way.
That's exactly how I explained my PR license and FL vehicle registration when I was pulled over, and I didn't get a fine for that potential offense.
Old May 7, 2008, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bk3day
What I can't believe is that FL doesn't require a new picture even after more than a decade.
MA will let you renew once on-line before you have to go back & have a new picture taken.

AZ, on the other hand, doesn't want to see me again until I'm 65 (which is still a verrrry long way off, though not as long as it once was). Given that I've had TSA screeners who seem baffled by the B&W picture in my passport, heaven knows what they'd do if I tried to use a license w/a picture that's 20+ yrs old.

Of course, AZ will also issue a duplicate license for a $4 (I think that's what it was) fee on-line, so I also now have 2 perfectly legal AZ licenses w/2 different address', one of them a UPS store (like BocaStephen) I used for the 1st 3 mos I lived here. Duplicate is exactly the same sans the address & date issued listed on it. Doesn't even say duplicate on it, either, which MA, at least, did do.
Old May 7, 2008, 10:40 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txrus
Duplicate is exactly the same sans the address & date issued listed on it. Doesn't even say duplicate on it, either, which MA, at least, did do.
I don't know about MA, but here in IL, if you change your address, your license is "corrected"-- not "duplicate".
Old May 7, 2008, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by mkt
Florida will issue you a nonresident license if you wish and you may keep your out of state license. That's what I've done, I have a Florida nonresident license (virtually indistinguishable from a normal license). The only difference, on the back it says "valid only in florida" or something of the nature, which I quickly blocked with a divers direct frequent shopper barcode sticker.
Great idea with the sticker.
Old May 7, 2008, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by aceman
I specifically mean that I wanted one as a tourist, and I basically wanted it for ID reasons. I spend most of my time in vegas when I'm there, and carrying my passport around with me everywhere is sooner or later going to cause me massive problems. In addition my home driving license is a piece of crap which has given my countless hassles at car rental agencies in the US.

I really don't understand why a DL in ameica has such an association with residency and right to remain. It should be specifically a permit to allow you to drive. AFAIK anyone visiting england etc can just give an address and take the test.

I've heard that a provisional license may be posible to obtain prior to a full DL, and just be kept for ID purposes. Does anyone know if this is the case?
I wouldn't expect to get a driving license in a country where I am a tourist of. It's just logical. I'd either get an IDL or use my home country's DL if my research shows it's an acceptable id if pulled over. As for your concern of having to carry your passport around, I guess you can easily take care of that problem by presenting your own home DL. I note that you don't intentionally have a UK license from one of your other posts in this thread.

Originally Posted by aceman
AFAIK anyone visiting england etc can just give an address and take the test.
Replace "test" with "provisional license". To my surprise they didn't check for proof of address when I went to the DVLA (Brit DMV) to apply for the provisional license. But they did check my legality in the country, which is maybe their way of stopping tourists getting a provisional license... don't know - and yes, it is valid for a considerable amount of time, which is another thing I fail to understand. It's supposed to be an intermediary step for one to get his/her full driving license, so the logic behind a ten yr valid "provisional" license beats me
Old May 7, 2008, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by enthusiastic flier
I wouldn't expect to get a driving license in a country where I am a tourist of. It's just logical. I'd either get an IDL or use my home country's DL if my research shows it's an acceptable id if pulled over. As for your concern of having to carry your passport around, I guess you can easily take care of that problem by presenting your own home DL. I note that you don't intentionally have a UK license from one of your other posts in this thread.

Most places in the US that I've come across refuse to accept anything but a passport if you are not from the United States. I carry an Ontario license, and I've been denied entry into bars and prevented from buying liquor. Carrying a passport around is a big hassle, and even more so if you lose it.
Old May 7, 2008, 1:25 pm

Hmm..Hadn't realized how easy it was to get a duplicate DL in AZ. Very tempting to stash in my hiking wallet so I don't have to remember to switch it back and forth.

Also, very tempting to prominently have both identical DL's in my wallet for TSA to throw a hissy fit about.
Old May 7, 2008, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Just understand that this new HI address WILL end up on your credit reports.

In my day, I've removed the following from my credit reports:
My brother and his wife's address
My father's office address
My old employer's address...
I will certainly check this when I pull my free report, and remove it if it turns up.
Old May 7, 2008, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Most places in the US that I've come across refuse to accept anything but a passport if you are not from the United States. I carry an Ontario license, and I've been denied entry into bars and prevented from buying liquor. Carrying a passport around is a big hassle, and even more so if you lose it.
It still in my view shouldn't be a premise for a tourist to be able to get a driving license. I agree, carrying a passport around is a hassle, but not reason enuf for a tourist to get a DL - in any country. A tourist is just that - a tourist.
Old May 7, 2008, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA plt
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm not concerned with the issue of the Florida law - thousands of people are living in FL right now with out of state licenses and out of state license tags, and have been doing it for years, a few of my own neighbors are examples of this.
This points to the fact you realize this is not within the bounds of Florida law, but are going forward anyways on the "everyone else is doing it" principle. Hence, this is not a legal way to your means.

Clearly stated in the Florida Statues-

322.031 Nonresident; when license required.--

(1) In every case in which a nonresident, except a nonresident migrant or seasonal farm worker as defined in s. 316.003(61), accepts employment or engages in any trade, profession, or occupation in this state or enters his or her children to be educated in the public schools of this state, such nonresident shall, within 30 days after the commencement of such employment or education, be required to obtain a Florida driver's license if such nonresident operates a motor vehicle on the highways of this state. The spouse or dependent child of such nonresident shall also be required to obtain a Florida driver's license within that 30-day period prior to operating a motor vehicle on the highways of this state.

If you are nonresident migrant or seasonal farm worker.. my apologies.

Last edited by cdbrickell; May 7, 2008 at 10:33 pm Reason: paste error

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.