Search

TSA Screener Saves Baby's Life

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Cool TSA Screener Saves Baby's Life

TSA.gov

On Sunday morning, March 30, Transportation Security Officer Chris Harrington was working at the security checkpoint at Rogue Valley International Airport in Medford, Ore ., when he saw something happening to an 18-month-old girl that looked all too familiar.

It appeared to Harrington that the distressed child was having some sort of a seizure -- something Harrington recognized because one of his own family suffers from seizures.

He stopped the parents of the child as they were going through the checkpoint and told them what he was observing. The young couple, heading home to Tennessee after visiting family in the Medford area, suspected their baby was ill but did not realize the seriousness of her condition.

An ambulance was called and the baby was hospitalized overnight. Doctors attending the baby told the family that had they gotten on that plane, the child would likely not have survived the trip home. Thanks to Harrington’s quick actions and insistence that the baby receive immediate medical attention, the child was spared any serious injury.

Acting Assistant Federal Security Director Danielle Bergquist said, “We have been teaching our employees to be aware of their surroundings and Harrington’s quick action is a great example of that training.”
Old Apr 11, 2008, 3:36 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, US Airways Dividend Miles, Choice Hotels, Hertz #1
Febrile seizures in young children are best managed with anti-pyretics such as Tylenol and Motrin. Those medicines with good hydration absent any congenital or trauma issues will usually solve the problem. Ear infections usually seem to be the most prevalent cause in small children.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 7:33 am

Programs: AA, Skymiles, OnePass
Originally Posted by PhilaBurbTom
Febrile seizures in young children are best managed with anti-pyretics such as Tylenol and Motrin. Those medicines with good hydration absent any congenital or trauma issues will usually solve the problem. Ear infections usually seem to be the most prevalent cause in small children.
Nowhere in the article does it say that the patient was febrile. There are plenty of other explanations for seizures that are more of an emergency situation.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
The TSO did a good thing no doubt. However, I think it's pretty sad that they have to keep publishing things like this to deflect the fact that they're still not catching any terrorists and the fact that they fail miserably at their core mission.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While it's great that the screener alerted the parents to the potentially fatal condition, does anyone really believe that nobody beyond the checkpoint would have noticed the same thing and notified the parents?

This case does add new meaning to screeners "practicing medicine without a license."
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by SMF TSO
Damn you TSA, with all your inattentive and ego-tripping glorified mall cops! When will these high school dropouts stop kicking puppies and slapping old people and start paying attention to their surroundings?
Originally Posted by Superguy
The TSO did a good thing no doubt. However, I think it's pretty sad that they have to keep publishing things like this to deflect the fact that they're still not catching any terrorists and the fact that they fail miserably at their core mission.
warning!

Left out of the story is that the child was then passed to another TSO who added it to the others already on the spit.

Oh, well I'm feeling a mite perverse today.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 8:48 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
Sometimes it's best to just best to see a positive outcome only as a positive outcome. Many people would have just minded their own business, not said anything, and maybe the child would have died because of it.

I know it's hard to believe that a TSO might actually be a regular person doing a good deed, but I guess it does happen from time to time.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 12:28 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
While it's great that the screener alerted the parents to the potentially fatal condition, does anyone really believe that nobody beyond the checkpoint would have noticed the same thing and notified the parents?
Quite possibly. I can't speak for others, but I usually don't pay too much attention to others at the airport.

I do agree that this story was obviously meant to be a feel good story, and should be treated as such. However, in this case, it does appear that a screener may have saved a life. It certainly doesn't add any legitimacy to the screening program, but I'm sure that little girl appreciates being alive, thanks to this screener.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 2:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Great!
Old Apr 12, 2008, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by Cookie Jarvis
Sometimes it's best to just best to see a positive outcome only as a positive outcome. Many people would have just minded their own business, not said anything, and maybe the child would have died because of it.

I know it's hard to believe that a TSO might actually be a regular person doing a good deed, but I guess it does happen from time to time.
I agree not sure why the negative comments about it...Look you see this kind of self-promoting from the private sector too except it usually stays under the radar on the prn or business wires...
Cheers
Howie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.