Search

Miami TSA "incident"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2008, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
Miami TSA "incident"

No link yet...

CNN just reported a TSA "incident"...doc checkers thought something was up, pax clears doc check and doesn't alarm magnometer(sp?) but is still routed to secondary...presumably for acting suspicious. They said something about being in possession of multiple IDs, but no weapons.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 3:56 pm

Did CNN run out of breaking news about Britney?
Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:26 pm

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/02/25...ent/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A man who bolted from a security checkpoint at Miami International Airport on Monday afternoon is in custody, and officials are trying to determine what sparked his action, a federal official told CNN.

A man who fled from a security checkpoint Monday was detained at Miami International Airport.

The man, described as being in his mid-30s, was also found with "contradictory" IDs, bearing different names from different countries, according to one official close to the investigation.

The man aroused the suspicion of a Transportation Security Administration document checker, the official said. The document checker reported his suspicion to a behavior detection officer.

The man went through a metal detector without triggering an alarm, then went on to secondary screening. He bolted from there without apparent reason, going back through the metal detector to the unsecure side of the airport, the official said.

He was followed by TSA officers to the airport curb, where he was apprehended by Miami-Dade police officers. Officials said they are trying to determine the man's nationality and why he acted as he did.

The TSA closed the checkpoint for a brief time but did not evacuate the terminal.

The man was evidently traveling alone, the official said
Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
but the teee-esss-aaa has still yet to cstch an evil ter'wrist and 5 hockey pucks says that something similar to alert tsa employees catch man with multiple i/'ds at miami security checkpoint is gong to magically appear at the top of the tsa web page in the next 48 hours
Old Feb 25, 2008, 8:47 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Hey - at least they didn't evacuate the terminal!!!!!!

Be thankful for small favors

So many times they seem to want to find all sorts of "accomplices."
Old Feb 27, 2008, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by goalie
but the teee-esss-aaa has still yet to cstch an evil ter'wrist and 5 hockey pucks says that something similar to alert tsa employees catch man with multiple i/'ds at miami security checkpoint is gong to magically appear at the top of the tsa web page in the next 48 hours
I didn't recognize the man was trying to get through twice. He has already being searchable at metal detector but, he went to secondary screening. It has nothing to do it while he was suspicious behavior while he is at checkpoint. Thanks for TSA/MIA didn't evacuated from terminal. I'm sure he will be arrested charges as identifiable theft. It was his false information by him.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I have a information for you about what happen several days ago at MIA. TSA has been chase him while he was falling down by second story but, checkpoint is closed. Here the specific information from TSA about those 4 TSA employees did outstanding job for catching him as false information but, it was brought multiple ID. He was arrested as resist arrest without violence, disorderly conduct and along other more charges against the man. Here it the website from TSA about MIA:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/bdo_mia.shtm

You will continuation read more specific information about the man was gave out his false documents. Thanks, Guys.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DADISGARYK
Hey - at least they didn't evacuate the terminal!!!!!!

Be thankful for small favors

So many times they seem to want to find all sorts of "accomplices."
It was obviously an oversight on their part. Rest assured they won't make this mistake again! @:-)
Old Mar 4, 2008, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
I have a information for you about what happen several days ago at MIA. TSA has been chase him while he was falling down by second story but, checkpoint is closed. Here the specific information from TSA about those 4 TSA employees did outstanding job for catching him as false information but, it was brought multiple ID. He was arrested as resist arrest without violence, disorderly conduct and along other more charges against the man. Here it the website from TSA about MIA:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/bdo_mia.shtm

You will continuation read more specific information about the man was gave out his false documents. Thanks, Guys.

The TSA officers were just following the running guy. TSA officers can not make arrests or detain anyone and as far as what I read the TSA officers were just following the guy so the police could make the arrest. I don’t see what the big deal was. Yes the guy needed to be arrested but they make it out like these TSA officers saved the world. Good job on the following skills of the TSA officers!
Old Mar 4, 2008, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intheaircop
Promote confidence in our Nation’s civil aviation system through the effective deployment of Federal Air Marshals.
Excuse me for taking the thread off-topic, but your .sig caught my attention. The presence of Federal Air Marshals cannot, in any way, promote confidence in our Nation’s civil aviation system. It is an indicator that we have no confidence in anything upstream working.

The only reason I feel comfortable getting on an aircraft today is my belief that a FAM, if present, will not be needed.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by birdstrike
Excuse me for taking the thread off-topic, but your .sig caught my attention. The presence of Federal Air Marshals cannot, in any way, promote confidence in our Nation’s civil aviation system. It is an indicator that we have no confidence in anything upstream working.

The only reason I feel comfortable getting on an aircraft today is my belief that a FAM, if present, will not be needed.

Ooppss, I have been meaning to take that off.

I bet you say the same thing about fire fighters and police officers until one day you actually need one.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ooppss, I have been meaning to take that off.

I bet you say the same thing about fire fighters and police officers until one day you actually need one.
That's a pretty self-serving justification, don't you think? I'll cut you some slack since your removed the .sig and can obviously make the distinction between FAMs, PD and firefighters yourself. @:-)

Personally, I don't demand that my fellow taxpayers invest in protection from a low probability anything-for-the-children event, even if it costs you your paycheck.

Firefighters and PD demonstrate their worth daily. FAMS have never once been needed for anything that would otherwise have been handled by local LE.

Have you considered becoming a local LE?
Old Mar 5, 2008, 6:58 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
The TSA officers were just following the running guy. TSA officers can not make arrests or detain anyone and as far as what I read the TSA officers were just following the guy so the police could make the arrest. I don’t see what the big deal was. Yes the guy needed to be arrested but they make it out like these TSA officers saved the world. Good job on the following skills of the TSA officers!
yes, you are right about the tsa having no "leo powers" (i.e. arrest & detain) but sadly, too many tsa folks out there (and the general public as well) think the opposite.

yes, the tsa employees did their job (and kudos for that) but it's the tsa (i.e. tsa corporate) which is the one spinning this up and tooting their own horn as if they just saved the world and that is, imho, where the problem lies. the irs is hated just as much as the tsa but you don't see the irs self promoting. if you self promote, to me there is a much bigger problem
Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by goalie
if you self promote, to me there is a much bigger problem
The TSA self-promotes in order to try to justify what they are doing in the face of ever-growing criticism.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by red456
The TSA self-promotes in order to try to justify what they are doing in the face of ever-growing criticism.
'nuff said but what are they doing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.