Wiki Posts
Search

Bottle Scanners on TSA Website

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bottle Scanners on TSA Website

I was reading some of the stuff on the TSA website and an across the following page:
http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/approach/tech/index.shtm

to see what they were wasting our tax dollars on now and one item caught my eye.

Bottle Liquid Scanners: By the end of 2008, over 90 percent of all air passengers will be protected by bottle liquid scanners at the checkpoint.
The more detailed page http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/approach/tech/bls.shtm

has the following:

Bottled liquids scanners are explosive detection systems that differentiate liquid explosives from common, benign liquids. This technology is capable of analyzing substances within a bottle by aiming sensors at the bottle opening and analyzing the intake of certain vapors.

TSA has piloted two handheld explosive detection systems in the airport environment: the Nomadics, Inc. Fido PaxPoint and the Smiths SABRE. TSA worked with the manufacturers, DHS Science & Technology Directorate, and the national science labs to modify the Fido PaxPoint to scan bottled liquids.

The challenges of screening bottles for concealed explosives or flammable liquids have been explored for a decade plus, but previous technology was not operationally viable due to commonalities in materials and high alarm rates. The challenge has been two-fold: the range of physical properties of liquid explosives and potential flammable liquids, and the broad range of benign, common liquids with which people travel.

If they ever manage to get this type of technology deployed, do you think it will spell the end of the inane liquid ban that doesn't really do anything?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:59 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by wr_schwab
If they ever manage to get this type of technology deployed, do you think it will spell the end of the inane liquid ban that doesn't really do anything?
No. If they follow their standard MO, they'll find a way to add it to the security check without allowing liquids.

Perhaps they'll use it only for the few liquids that are currently allowed (if you're lucky)? [ralfp reminds self to not to give them any ideas.]
Old Feb 16, 2008, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL-2MM, NW, AA, AS, NZ, AM
...and eliminate some of the TSO's ability to act like Nazi's?? No way. Instead, this device will be used to sniff your 3.0 oz. bottles...which you will be required to submit and open.

Morons and Idiots.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 2:40 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Yea... but why all the fuss... and taking over a year to do ABSOLUTELY nothing when products are already out there and have been field tested.... bad skeletor!

The Sencion threat liquids detector has been successfully incorporated in the passenger screening process in parts of Asia since August 2004, and is currently helping to protect the more than 15 million passengers that pass through the Kansai International Airport in Osaka, Japan each year.
http://www.gizmag.com/go/7342/
Old Feb 16, 2008, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I remember seeing the bottle scanners the first time I transited NRT, several years ago, maybe it was 2004...anyway it has been a while.

Sadly, I think you are probably right they are going to use it to check all of the 3.4oz bottles in the quart sized baggie rather then let us get back to some sense of normalcy.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by donsig
...and eliminate some of the TSO's ability to act like Nazi's?? No way. Instead, this device will be used to sniff your 3.0 oz. bottles...which you will be required to submit and open.
Sadly, I suspect you are right. Another layer of security.

Who knows, maybe another baggie, too, so we can separate the 'gels' from the liquids....
Old Feb 16, 2008, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I remember seeing the bottle scanners the first time I transited NRT, several years ago, maybe it was 2004...anyway it has been a while.

Sadly, I think you are probably right they are going to use it to check all of the 3.4oz bottles in the quart sized baggie rather then let us get back to some sense of normalcy.
I remember seeing them at HND too.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 5:48 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
......If they ever manage to get this type of technology deployed, do you think it will spell the end of the inane liquid ban that doesn't really do anything?
LMAO, n-f-w will they ever get this off the ground, but god forbid, if it ever did work, it would take two shakes of a flying pig's tail to determine that "gee, we had good intentions but this machine isn't meeting the standards we were after". meanwhile after a bazzilion wasted haliburton type government contractor dollar's later.....

oh, and to answer your question-no, imho, i think we would still be stuck with the liquid ban and will still have to take our freedom baggies out and put them in the kippy bins for this wonder of all ages to sniff them. oh wait, "gee, we had good intentions but this machine isn't meeting the standards we were after".
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:01 am

Carrying liquids in carry-ons of more than 100 ml/3 oz may be legal again

With a smart scanner it may be possible once again to carry liquids and gels larger than 100 ml or 3 oz.

http://discovermagazine.com/2012/jul...ck-in-carry-on
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:22 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
As the TSA was quoted in saying in this thread about a blog post they made over four years ago

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...a-website.html

Bottle Liquid Scanners: By the end of 2008, over 90 percent of all air passengers will be protected by bottle liquid scanners at the checkpoint.

Don't hold your breath.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
The yearly (or quarterly) tease. Yawn....

Let us know when they get deployed to Fargo.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Let's TSA will relaxed the liquid restrictions. Let's allowed to bring a large container beyond at security.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:34 am

We need alot of shampoo!
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
The continuation of the war on water has absolutely nothing to do with credible threats or the ability of screeners to detect them. It has everything to do with the DHS/TSA saving face and not admitting that they overreacted. Liquids were not banned after the Bojinka Plot in 1994 actually killed a passenger with a liquid bomb because we were in a pre-paranoia pre-TSA era. And even if you believe the London liquid plot was credible, there was never any credible threat to use liquid explosives on domestic USA flights.

Kip Hawley, whom I usually despise, even tried to give the next adminstration an escape route by saying the ban could be lifted within a year, but the Obama appointees didn't take the bait.

Several other jurisdiction are distancing themselves from absurd overreactive DHS policy. I believe the EU has a codified deadline to lift the liquids restrictions, and that they are already history in much of the non-US air travel world.

BTW, August 10th is the 6th anniversary of this absurd, supposedly temporary policy.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I just keep a lot of samples of beauty products around. Makes my bathroom a bit untidy, but what can you do? Sigh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.