Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA refused to wear gloves for CPAP device (medical) inspection(Merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA refused to wear gloves for CPAP device (medical) inspection(Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2008, 6:24 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Sunnyhere
The only special consideration I know of is the TSA likes you to take it out of your bags and place it in the bins.
This is the main reason I check mine if i take it. Many TSA still don't know what they are, and I've had them thoroughly inspect it, and I just don't want millions of people touching somthing that I put on my fact .
Old Jan 29, 2008, 8:04 am

Programs: UA/MAR
Originally Posted by cepheid
In general, anything that's roughly the size of a laptop bag or smaller is considered a "personal item" (of course, I'm not talking about the giant rolling laptop bags).
Heck, I take a giant rolling "laptop bag" as my personal item, along with a 22" roll aboard on international flights. Nobody at UA has ever said anything, but it always gives LH fits.

As far as UA seems to be concerned as long as you can fit one bag in the overhead and one under your seat, you are good to go. They would appear to rather deal with gate checking the straggler's bags when the bins fill up, rather than enforce the rules on the ground.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Much like livitup my "personal item" is often pretty big, usually a duffle bag. But it fits underneath my seat, so I have never had a problem.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 8:33 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
A CPAP machine is a piece of medical equipment and does not count towards your personal item or carryon limit. See here which says: "The limit of one carry-on and one personal item (purse briefcase or computer case) does not apply to medical supplies, equipment, mobility aids, and/or assistive devices carried by and/or used by a person with a disability."

You will need to remove the CPAP from its carrying case (just like you would with a laptop). You do not need to remove the hoses or mask. The TSA will swab the machine with the ETD pad. For convenience sake, you can put a sticky note on the outside saying "Please use fresh gloves before inspection" because they usually take it immediately off the belt before your get through the WTMD.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 9:21 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As it seems that most of the OP's concern surrounds security rules, let me move this to our Travel Safety/Security forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United forum.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
No check for me!

Originally Posted by rkaradi
This is the main reason I check mine if i take it.
You check it? I would never, ever, ever, check mine. Airlines lose way too much stuff, and if I don't have my machine, then I'm not going to sleep.

And they only inspect the unit itself, and not the mask which is the only place that touches your face. I think most agents wear gloves, so I wouldn't get freaked out about it.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 9:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
There are two concurrent threads on CPAP machines and the TSA so we've merged them both for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks.

Cholula
Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator
Old Jan 29, 2008, 9:54 am

cpap carryon and use

I always carry mine on - PB travel model with cpaponline battery pack, about the size of a fist. I just choose a window seat and hook it up to the battery pack and have never been questionned, works like a champ, I sleep well, and don't bother anyone with my snoring. I always take the machine only out for inspection, they usually swab it but only about 75% of the time but seemingly always at SeaTac. The machine never touches my face -- only the mask, and they don't ever see that, so the TSA can pick it up and do what they want with it for all I care. I do carry a prescription from my doc stating that I can bring on an extra carryon, but I never have had to show it. Good luck.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Pat89339
You will need to remove the CPAP from its carrying case (just like you would with a laptop). You do not need to remove the hoses or mask. The TSA will swab the machine with the ETD pad. For convenience sake, you can put a sticky note on the outside saying "Please use fresh gloves before inspection" because they usually take it immediately off the belt before your get through the WTMD.
I've start not removing mine, instead I unzip the case and leave it in the bin. Each time the TSA tells me it needs to be out in the bin by itself. Then they pick it up and swab it. But since they always swab it, 100% of the time, I thought, why hassle with unpacking it and repacking it. They swab it anyway.

Also I normally leave the humidifer portion in my carryon. That sometimes gets them exicited and call for a bag check. They tell me, "CPAPs must be removed" I point out that the cpap is removed, it's the item in that bin. The water tank, is not a cpap, but feel free to rifle through my carryon.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: TSA Lead Transportation Security Officer
TSOs are required to wear gloves when searching property and use new gloves if requested.

If you're truly concerned about hygiene you should also ask them to use a new sample trap or "swab" when your CPAP is checked. The traps are used up to 40 times before being discarded -- sometimes more, and I suspect they are nearly as unsanitary as the gloves considering the cracks and crevices they get into.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 1:06 pm

Bad Advice

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Folks, please! You have got to start being more aggressive with screeners who refuse to comply with reasonable requests supported by policy. If this was MY medical device, I would have grabbed the device and/or the bag away from the screener and yelled for a supervisor - grabbing the bag or item away from them is the only way to get their attention and it truly drives them absolutely crazy, so be prepared for a fight....

....but if it was MY medical device, and I expected to put any portion of it or its contents in or through my body, rest assured I would maintain total control over where it goes and how it's handled.

Remember your escalation paths at the checkpoint!

1) supervisor
2) duty manager
3) FSD (if on site)
4) your airline's Ground Security Coordinator (GSC)
5) Airport Director's Office (if open)
6) local police if 5) is closed, AND you can trust the local police, which you often can't - so be careful with this one

The GSC can override the TSA and let you fly, while the Airport Director can override the TSA on customer service issues, getting the FSD involved or onsite, if necessary
Bad, bad advice! The airline, the airport, nor the police cannot override the TSA's decision. If an item is required to be inspected it will be inspected. The TSA can also prohibit it from entering an aircraft. The TSA does not work for numbers 4, 5, or 6. One should request that the TSO wear clean gloves. Starting an argument at the checkpoint can possibly get you taken off of a flight, put on the SSSS list, or even arrested depending on the jurisdiction. If the TSO does not put gloves or change gloves, your next stop is the supervisor.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hungry_joe
TSOs are required to wear gloves when searching property and use new gloves if requested.

If you're truly concerned about hygiene you should also ask them to use a new sample trap or "swab" when your CPAP is checked. The traps are used up to 40 times before being discarded -- sometimes more, and I suspect they are nearly as unsanitary as the gloves considering the cracks and crevices they get into.
Quite truthfully, your statement makes no sense. You advise to request use of the trap if one is concerned about hygiene and then immediately contradict yourself by saying that they can be used up to 40 times and are probably as unsanitary as reusing gloves.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by doober
Quite truthfully, your statement makes no sense. You advise to request use of the trap if one is concerned about hygiene and then immediately contradict yourself by saying that they can be used up to 40 times and are probably as unsanitary as reusing gloves.
No, he's saying the TSA *can* use a trap up to 40 times and that is why you want to request a new one.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JakiChan
No, he's saying the TSA *can* use a trap up to 40 times and that is why you want to request a new one.
In re-reading, you are probably correct. I read "new" as a new toy in the TSA's arsenal of devices to "keep us safe." Perhaps the he should have said "clean" or "fresh".
Old Feb 22, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: TSA Lead Transportation Security Officer
Originally Posted by doober
Perhaps the he should have said "clean" or "fresh".

Perhaps. My intended point was that the traps are reusable up to forty times and you probably don't want your CPAP machine to be the fortieth (or even the second) thing that the sample trap has touched.

The machines do heat the traps to an extremely high temperature. I have no idea if it's hot enough or if the traps are in the machine long enough to kill any microbes but I wouldn't take a chance. If it were me I would ask for a "fresh" trap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.