Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA seems to have issues with knives in checked luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG

Whenever I've travelled with kitchen knives in my checked luggage I seem to end up with one of those friendly notes saying my bag has been searched. Not really an issue in itself but I've also noticed this seems to correspond with times when my bag come out last in spite of priority tags.

Why kitchen knives you ask - well we like to stay at condominiums when staying in a place for more than a couple of days and as everyone knows no matter how high end the condo they NEVER have decent SHARP knives.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:42 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please continue to follow in our Travel Safety/Security forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
At least the TSA left your knives in your checked luggage. I was on a LH flight from FRA to DEN, and sitting across the aisle from two empty seats on an otherwise full flight. Unfortunately the couple eventually boarded and took the seats. During the flight, the gentleman who boarded late explained his delay. He'd bought some swords and placed them in his checked baggage. FRA security x-rayed the bags, and paged him after he cleared the security check point. He came back back landside, and was screamed at and told that his swords would be confiscated. He could have called his relatives that saw him off at FRA, but that was unacceptable to FRA security.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:13 pm

That must be some German regulation???

I have travelled to/around the US with a sword in my checked luggage....

It was packed in with my firearms......
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:21 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by trooper

maybe they're afraid the unscreened baggage handler will take the swords, and , using his ninja skills, dice an illegal bottle of shampoo, blinding the pilot.

just a thought
Old Jan 13, 2008, 1:36 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Same thing here. I traveled EWR-MDW_DCA ( I know, weird routing but somebody else got the ticket for me ) and had checked luggage as I was traveling back to Germany after a year in the US. Had a kitchen knife and other supply in my bags. It took forever to get the luggage and it was of course searched. On my flight home IAD-FRA-QKL, nobody did secondary screening to the "knife suitcase", at least there was no note and it was not such a mess like the first time. Will try again in a little bit
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:19 am

Chefs (and other culinary peeps) travel with their knives all the time.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 9:50 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Soames
Chefs (and other culinary peeps) travel with their knives all the time.
And likely have their bags searched every time.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by trooper

FRA is an insane airport run by insane people that make Chertoff look rational. I hate FRA.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 1:17 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; UA 2P
I've flown with a set of kitchen knives checked on two occasions, and have yet to receive a bag search notification.

I wrap the knives individually in a thin sheet of plastic and then bundle them together in a small container, rather than shipping them in a block or the like. Perhaps this makes them appear less visually distinct on an x-ray inspection?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:25 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by mre5765
FRA is an insane airport run by insane people that make Chertoff look rational. I hate FRA.
^^ Support your opinion. FRA is awful. Everytime I came back from an US flight into FRA, they searched me for my connecting flight like there was not tomorrow. I do not really think that US screening is effective at all but why in hell would I do any harm after I got back form the US
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:31 pm

Oh godohgodohgod.....

Planning to try to get to a European target shooting championships next year... and will probably need to transit through FRA.....

Oh dear..... Still.. mre5765.. you DID crack me up with that description! Thanks for the laugh!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:26 pm

i hate it when they have to stop you and let the other passengers pass because they had to check my luggage because they saw a butterknife. A butterknife!!! Subconsciously, the people passing me by would be sticking their tongue out. HAH!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
FRA has a long history of stupid behavior. 20+ years ago I was passing through there, the security screener insisted I take a photo with my camera to prove it was a real camera. (after a long trip, I only had two shots left- remember "film"; and I hated wasting one.)

Of course, being a smart *ss at that younger age, I pointed the camera at her and started to snap the photo. She grabbed the lens, pointed it at the ground, and ordered me to photograph the floor.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:32 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
^^ Support your opinion. FRA is awful. Everytime I came back from an US flight into FRA, they searched me for my connecting flight like there was not tomorrow.
I find that FRA is 1000% better now than it used to me. They seem to have a love affair with the ETD machines, but they now use WTMD's and shoes stay on. There is also no double-security for flight connections from the EU to the USA, within the A pier.

And of course, the security folks in the FCT are always on their best behavior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.