Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

LIT 1/2: "Military in uniform not required to remove shoes"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LIT 1/2: "Military in uniform not required to remove shoes"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Post LIT 1/2: "Military in uniform not required to remove shoes"

??

Consistent inconsistency?
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:23 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Huh??

Most boots are going to have enough metal that they will alarm the WTMD, meaning the boots will then need to come off.

Plus, until I see the "official" TSA policy that states Military need not remove their boots, I'm going to guess that you saw one TSO make up his own rules (a much more likely explanation!)
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:25 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Are you still in uniform after the boots are off?
Old Jan 3, 2008, 10:41 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
??

Consistent inconsistency?
I routinely see uniformed military personnel removing their boots, dog tags, metal rank devices, brass buckles, etc. I doubt leaving boots on is a policy, written or otherwise.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 10:42 am
Original Poster

The barker ahead of the WTMD announced this at least four times while I was in line.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 10:44 am

Just TSA random acts of kindness.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:38 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Right. Because people in uniform never attack their own...

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/...ack/index.html

With that said, I believe the chance of an attack from someone in uniformed service is vanishingly small... but even smaller is the chance of an attack from grandma Kettle, who still has to take off her shoes.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 1:36 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
US military in Uniform, at US checkpoints are not required to remove shoes, as long as they don't set off the detectors. So dress uniform shoes (minus any with taps or something of that nature) do not have to come off.
Boots normally do, as they do set the machine off.

Ciao,
FH
Old Jan 3, 2008, 2:58 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
US military in Uniform, at US checkpoints are not required to remove shoes, as long as they don't set off the detectors. So dress uniform shoes (minus any with taps or something of that nature) do not have to come off.

Ciao,
FH

Then, flight crews should have this exemption also!
Old Jan 3, 2008, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by txskygal
Then, flight crews should have this exemption also!
They do, when traveling in uniform for work.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 3:28 pm

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA

Ciao,
FH
Well. That makes sense. Because certainly no one could go to US Cavalry and/or Marlow White and/or Vanguard and/or the local Army/Navy store and buy a regulation uniform with a name tag and a couple ribbons and some rank, and wear that to travel....

Old Jan 3, 2008, 3:39 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by swei0009
Well. That makes sense. Because certainly no one could go to US Cavalry and/or Marlow White and/or Vanguard and/or the local Army/Navy store and buy a regulation uniform with a name tag and a couple ribbons and some rank, and wear that to travel....

Well maybe you should take it up with your US Representatives.
In most of Europe (and the world for that matter) you don't have to remove your shoes at all but one could still hide plastique or C4 or other none metal which makes the shoe issue a bit absurd to many.

In the times I have seen or dealt with this issue (re:military uniforms), a military ID was used along with the uniform policy.

Ciao,
FH
Old Jan 3, 2008, 3:43 pm

Well maybe you should take it up with your US Representatives.
In most of Europe (and the world for that matter) you don't have to remove your shoes at all but one could still hide plastique or C4 or other none metal which makes the shoe issue a bit absurd to many.
Anyone at any airport can put plastic explosives in their pants or butt. Unless the ETD/ETP is used, it will never be detected. Use of ETP/ETD makes the Shoe Carnival 100% unnecessary. This is why Kip Hawley is a POS Idiot and more.

In the times I have seen or dealt with this issue (re:military uniforms), a military ID was used along with the uniform policy.
Crew in uniform also show their ID badge to avoid the Shoe Carnival and Liquid Idiocy. So many exemptions, so many holes...

Last edited by Spiff; Jan 3, 2008 at 3:51 pm
Old Jan 3, 2008, 5:01 pm

Programs: The program formerly know as WorldPerks
I'm in the military and I've traveled in uniform before. We are subject to everything everyone else is except the SSSS thing if we have copies of our orders on us. I had that come up once and was given a nice bright yellow/green "E" sticker which exempted me. It's a huge pain in the butt too taking off our boots, and having to relace them, but I just smile and thank the idiots at the TSA for that one.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by lobster7
I'm in the military and I've traveled in uniform before. We are subject to everything everyone else is except the SSSS thing if we have copies of our orders on us. I had that come up once and was given a nice bright yellow/green "E" sticker which exempted me. It's a huge pain in the butt too taking off our boots, and having to relace them, but I just smile and thank the idiots at the TSA for that one.
If you're in uniform, show your ID and see if you can't avoid the Shoe Carnival. It's the one perq that the imbeciles in charge of the TSA have chosen to bestow on those who serve our country in the military. (assuming your boots don't normally alarm.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.