Sick with security wand/patdown worry

Old Nov 12, 07, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Question Sick with security wand/patdown worry

Hello,
Please...I hope someone can answer my question fast please,
My husband and I are flying out to the Washington,USA on Wednesday from London,Heathrow and a friend just told me that when she visited Greece,security checks were made on wigs and hair pieces...I am worried sick now as I have to wear a wig due to severe scalp psoriasis.
I am so stressed about this,I feel so sick with worry,I just don't want to go on our holiday in case I am humiliated in being told that I have to remove it during a wand/patdown ... please help and tell me if this will happen going through uk security or going through the USA security.
Thankyou.

Last edited by Cholula; Nov 12, 07 at 9:12 am
Old Nov 12, 07, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Heartbreak of Psoriasis

Did you know that psoriasis is actually an immune disorder?
Old Nov 12, 07, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sonofzeus View Post
Did you know that psoriasis is actually an immune disorder?
Hello,
Been a sufferer since about 4/5 years old,told that it was stress related,and the problem I have posted insan't hepling my stress levels much
Old Nov 12, 07, 5:41 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Not sure if the above post was supposed to be helpful or not.

OP; in thousands of trips though security checkpoints, I have never seen anyone forced to remove a wig.

However, in the extreme case that you are pulled for a pat down (unlikely) simply ask for a private room. Every airport in the US has facilities set up for people to be wanded out of sight of everyone else. I hope the UK does as well (hopefully others will confirm). However, as long as there is no metal in the wig, there is no reason why it would ever get a second look.

The most important thing is to remember that you are in control of your own body and attitude, and no one is allowed to take away your trip and a time that should be fun. Hold your head high and remind yourself that a few minutes of fear should not hold you back.
Old Nov 12, 07, 6:51 am
Suspended

Here in the US the TSA cannot require you to remove a prosthetic device. In your case, a wig is a prosthetic device. If anyone should ask you to remove your wig, inform them that that is against the TSA's SOP and ask for a supervisor.
Old Nov 12, 07, 6:52 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5 Star Gold
Furthermore.....

no matter what happens, even in the most extreme worst case, it's going to happen in front of strangers who you will never see again. Who cares? Laugh it off (if it happens), have a great time, and get on with your life.

You're bringing this problem on yourself. Lighten up and enjoy your vacation.
Old Nov 12, 07, 7:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MKEbound View Post
Not sure if the above post was supposed to be helpful or not.

OP; in thousands of trips though security checkpoints, I have never seen anyone forced to remove a wig.

However, in the extreme case that you are pulled for a pat down (unlikely) simply ask for a private room. Every airport in the US has facilities set up for people to be wanded out of sight of everyone else. I hope the UK does as well (hopefully others will confirm). However, as long as there is no metal in the wig, there is no reason why it would ever get a second look.

The most important thing is to remember that you are in control of your own body and attitude, and no one is allowed to take away your trip and a time that should be fun. Hold your head high and remind yourself that a few minutes of fear should not hold you back.
Excellent advice. No reason why, at a US airport, that anyone should have to remove a hairpiece as part of the screening process. And passengers always have the right to be screened out of public view in a private screening room.

I find the part that I bolded the best advice of all!
Old Nov 12, 07, 7:38 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
The same rules will apply at Heathrow-that been said I travel frequently between the UK and US and have never been patted down in a way that would "expose" a wig (Of course Murphy's law will come into effect now so watch out for my post next week -TSA wanted to search my head ) Seriously please don't let your fears spoil your trip you have NOTHING to worry about. I do understand about psoriasis my Mum suffered from it too.
I hope you'll post to this thread when you return from holiday so anyone else with similar fears can benefit from your experience.
Old Nov 12, 07, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I have never seen anyone asked to remove wig. Hats, yes.

Don't worry.
Old Nov 12, 07, 9:48 am

Programs: Continental, Delta, United
Wigs and Security

First don't stress.
When you approach the checkpoint ask to speak to a supervisor.
Explain that you would like a private screening due to a medical issue.
Explain the issue to the officer. Most likely your scalp area will be hand wanded. If the wand doesn't beep, all done. Try to avoid metal (bobby pins, etc) in your hair do. An alarm MAY lead to a limited pat down as will an extereme Bee hive or similar style.
Keep smiling. The lower the ambient stress level, the better it will be for all.
Enjoy the flight! well try.

PS:
X
Old Nov 12, 07, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hear, hear. OP- relax! You'll live longer.

Originally Posted by LEX-LGA Commuter View Post
Furthermore.....

no matter what happens, even in the most extreme worst case, it's going to happen in front of strangers who you will never see again. Who cares? Laugh it off (if it happens), have a great time, and get on with your life.

You're bringing this problem on yourself. Lighten up and enjoy your vacation.

Search this Thread