Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

DIA beefs up security, adds screeners to handle Series traffic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2007, 1:31 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member

LINK
DIA is getting beefed-up security forces to go with the hot dogs and hot tickets of the World Series.

"A significant number" of additional screeners and other security personnel will be deployed at the airport starting this weekend, said Carrie Harmon, spokeswoman for the Transportation Security Administration.

She didn't specify what the number might be.

She said the World Series has activated the TSA's "national deployment force" of security personnel whose job is to come into a specific area to help out during a big event.
::snort::

If it walks like Workfare, and talks like Workfare ...
Old Oct 19, 2007, 7:08 am

Sounds like an excuse for more workfare. The WS will be in Denver for what, 3 days? with folks departure times spread out I bet... Lots of fans are local. If BOS makes it, (which I hope doesn't happen) you could have more out of town fans than CLE, since they draw a larger area/more economic prosperity in Boston than CLE, etc... But really, I don't see this packing the airport like a golf tournament.

Sounds like an excuse to get in the spotlight...
Old Oct 19, 2007, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
OK folks...

betting is now open on the odds TSA screeners will be seen at the stadium helping check for containers of liquid and packages of food (their specialty), while raiding the stadium area with a 'crack' VIPR squad to observe the behavior of drunk and giddy baseball fans.

Opening odds.... 3-5
Old Oct 19, 2007, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They sure do like using those fancy, authoritative sounding words like "deployed."

Please.

So they're bringing up some full-time overtime seeking and part-time screeners in from COS and CYS.

WTH? They don't need additional people...this is ridiculous.

The screening at DEN slowed down about six or eight months ago when they consolidated two lines into one magnetometer. The lines have never been the same since, slowing down significantly.

Couple that with the loads on flights already at high levels, and none of this makes any sense.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:15 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
I am sure the TSA'holes are put up in the finest hotels with generous per-diems. A least let the hotels make some money off of this boondoggle.

I also hope there is a long and large blizzard during their deployment and that DIA closes for, say, 96 hours before the plows make it through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.