Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Am flying next week, and have fractured toe .. shoes still off?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Air, American Airlines, SWA RapidRewards

My right foot, I fractured my big toe in 2 spots, along with dislocating it.

Docs reset it, but the fractures they cant do a lot for, its just gonna take time to heal.

I can still wear my same Nike shoes, but its a real PITA to take it off and put it on without enduring some pain.

What can I tell them to not have to go through this the morning of my flight?
Old Sep 20, 2007, 5:02 am
Suspended

No!

Originally Posted by PDXracer
My right foot, I fractured my big toe in 2 spots, along with dislocating it.

Docs reset it, but the fractures they cant do a lot for, its just gonna take time to heal.

I can still wear my same Nike shoes, but its a real PITA to take it off and put it on without enduring some pain.

What can I tell them to not have to go through this the morning of my flight?
Tell the screeners you cannot and will not remove your shoes due to a medical condition. Go no further than that with any explanation. If they push, call for a supervisor immediately.

Remember, they CANNOT ask any questions about your condition.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:18 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by doober
Tell the screeners you cannot and will not remove your shoes due to a medical condition. Go no further than that with any explanation. If they push, call for a supervisor immediately.

beat me to it and if they pull the d-y-w-t-f-t b/s, tell them that it is a federal privacy act violation and they really don't want to go down that road cuz if they do, you want not only the supervisor present, but the tsa terminal manager, the federal security director (fsd) for the airport, the ground services coordinator (gsc) for the airline you are flying and last but not least, a leo......and also politely remind them that time is of the essence as you cannot miss your flight
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by doober

i assume it would result in a secondary, right?
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes.

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Old Sep 20, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Yes.
yup again but if you do not alarm, it should only be a shoe (and maybe palm swab) and go tho you might get a full body maSSSSage (hit and miss as it depends on the station) however they should not be examining your bags unless something alerted the x-ray screener. if they want to do a bag search, ask why as that is not the reason for the secondary. if they insist, it is retaliatory screening and that needs to be addressed as mentioned in my earlier post,
Old Sep 20, 2007, 2:02 pm

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
No need to cop an attitude from the start as some on this board espouse. Just tell them you have a fractured toe and that you cannot remove your shoes without extreme pain. If the screener then pulls some b/s, then I agree 100% with Goalie, escalate the situation to involve the folks he mentioned.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by osxanalyst
No need to cop an attitude from the start as some on this board espouse. Just tell them you have a fractured toe and that you cannot remove your shoes without extreme pain. If the screener then pulls some b/s, then I agree 100% with Goalie, escalate the situation to involve the folks he mentioned.
Agree...but unless I missed something, it should be shoe not shoes. Offer to take the non-offending shoe off and explain the difficulty with the other.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
I had a neck brace on for most of the summer. They would just yell secondary male no alarm. A TSA guy would eventually meet me usually help me gather my things and then do the swab on the neck brace.

My case was a bit more obvious then yours but I think if you tell them you can't take off your shoe because you broke your toe they will do the same thing.

It's still all a bit silly IMHO. I was in Oz with the neck brace and they could care less.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by purpleskiesfly
Agree...but unless I missed something, it should be shoe not shoes. Offer to take the non-offending shoe off and explain the difficulty with the other.
removing the "good shoe" would put the op in a situation of not being able to remain steady on his/her feet and with a broken bone in one's foot, that's not a good idea. a screener tried to pull that on me about my good ankle and i simply asked him if he wanted to crawl thru the wtmd thus slowing up the line or hop thru it on one foot where the risk of me falling over was real and that the lawsuit afterwards would not be fun.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 5:48 am

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
Originally Posted by goalie
removing the "good shoe" would put the op in a situation of not being able to remain steady on his/her feet and with a broken bone in one's foot, that's not a good idea. a screener tried to pull that on me about my good ankle and i simply asked him if he wanted to crawl thru the wtmd thus slowing up the line or hop thru it on one foot where the risk of me falling over was real and that the lawsuit afterwards would not be fun.
I suggest OP do what makes most sense for your health. If you can manage with one shoe, this is probably the least confrontational option.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The first reply is correct. Due to a recent injury, I've done this three times in the last few days. The big airports see this all the time and know what to do. One small airport, with overzealous screeners, gave me a *full* secondary. They interpreted my questioning of this (and my refusal to let my belongings be carted all over the screening area without me) as a refusal to be screened. When we were all done they had a LEO give me a lecture. He, too, had an attitude, asked me for a doctor's note, threatened to detain me so I would miss my flight, etc.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy
When we were all done they had a LEO give me a lecture. He, too, had an attitude, asked me for a doctor's note, threatened to detain me so I would miss my flight, etc.
Did you say "Don't taze me bro!"?
Old Sep 21, 2007, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by AArlington
Did you say "Don't taze me bro!"?
No. He was actually reasonably polite, but quite misinformed.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 11:22 am

Thumbs down

What's with the general attitude that you have to go in fighting from the start? Go in, be honest, be polite, explain your situation properly and ypu'll be fine. If you go in with an attitude and decide that treating the people who are only doing their jobs and trying to keep you safe like dirt is the best way to go, then don't be surprised if your screening experience is less than simple/pleasant. TSOs are people. Simple as that. How about being reasonable??

If you go in politely and end up being treated like a criminal that's a different story. But why on earth would you go in looking to make trouble in the first place? It always seems amazing to me when someone comes in, causes a scene from the start over a non-issue and then wonders what they did to deserve missing their flight...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.