A trickle down effect???

Closed Thread

Old Sep 4, 07, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
A trickle down effect???

I couldn't help but wonder as I read this article, if the use of "Kip Baggies" are edging there way into other places in our lives.

(CBS 3) LOWER GWYNEDD, Pa. High School students in the Ambler, Pennsylvania, headed back to school Tuesday facing new security measures limiting their choice of backpacks.

Effective Tuesday, all students in the Wissahickon School District are required to carry clear bags.

Students are currently permitted to bring mesh backpacks to school, but once inside the building, they must change to a clear backpack.

The district approved the clear backpack mandate at the recommendation of the School Safety Taskforce. The taskforce was formed after a student at Springfield Township High School shot and killed himself inside the school last year.

Read rest of the article here: http://cbs3.com/topstories/local_story_239234500.html
Old Sep 4, 07, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Wow, how about clear clothes also? Can't be too careful now can we?
Old Sep 4, 07, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cookie Jarvis View Post
I couldn't help but wonder as I read this article, if the use of "Kip Baggies" are edging there way into other places in our lives.

(CBS 3) LOWER GWYNEDD, Pa. High School students in the Ambler, Pennsylvania, headed back to school Tuesday facing new security measures limiting their choice of backpacks.

Effective Tuesday, all students in the Wissahickon School District are required to carry clear bags.

Students are currently permitted to bring mesh backpacks to school, but once inside the building, they must change to a clear backpack.

The district approved the clear backpack mandate at the recommendation of the School Safety Taskforce. The taskforce was formed after a student at Springfield Township High School shot and killed himself inside the school last year.

Read rest of the article here: http://cbs3.com/topstories/local_story_239234500.html
What an asinine response to a tragedy. Has anybody ever thought about the impact treating everyone as a suspect is going to have on future generations?
Old Sep 4, 07, 2:32 pm

Wissahickon School District
Old Sep 4, 07, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by red456 View Post
Has anybody ever thought about the impact treating everyone as a suspect is going to have on future generations?
Nobody in power
Old Sep 4, 07, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Yet another reason to keep homeschooling my kids.
Old Sep 4, 07, 3:14 pm

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Just wondering

"Officials hope the clear backpacks will also prevent the theft of expensive devices brought into the school, such as iPods."

How does forcing students to hide their expensive items in clear bags LOWER the theft rate? Do other things work backwards in Ambler, too?
Old Sep 4, 07, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Flaflyer View Post
"Officials hope the clear backpacks will also prevent the theft of expensive devices brought into the school, such as iPods."

How does forcing students to hide their expensive items in clear bags LOWER the theft rate? Do other things work backwards in Ambler, too?
You have to wonder why no one stands up to this nonsense. Perhaps we now have a real use for "Just say no".
Old Sep 4, 07, 6:28 pm

nuttin new

This has been going on for over 10 years. It was a requirement in NOLA during the mid 90's
Old Sep 4, 07, 8:08 pm

Back on topic:
Under the new guidelines, students will be allowed to carry a small bag for private items, instruments and athletic gear.
So general consensus is that you can still hide things as long as they are in your pad/tampon case or in your gym bag with your jock strap.

So do the girls carry around their TOM bag all the time, or do they announce their time of month to the whole school?
Old Sep 4, 07, 8:26 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
So, they'll just hide contraband in the small bag then, right?
Old Sep 4, 07, 11:34 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
Protection from lawsuits, ladies and gentlemen.

"We did what we could."
Old Sep 5, 07, 12:37 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Much as I'd love to chip in on the homeschooling debate -- full disclosure: I'm a proponent -- this is not the forum for such discussions. Please have at them in OMNI to your heart's content.

Additionally, as this thread is not germane to safety and security w/r/t travel, I will close it.
----------
essxjay
TS/S moderator

Last edited by essxjay; Sep 5, 07 at 12:54 am