A trickle down effect???

Closed Thread

Old Sep 4, 07, 2:17 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NY
Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
Posts: 411
A trickle down effect???

I couldn't help but wonder as I read this article, if the use of "Kip Baggies" are edging there way into other places in our lives.



(CBS 3) LOWER GWYNEDD, Pa. High School students in the Ambler, Pennsylvania, headed back to school Tuesday facing new security measures limiting their choice of backpacks.

Effective Tuesday, all students in the Wissahickon School District are required to carry clear bags.

Students are currently permitted to bring mesh backpacks to school, but once inside the building, they must change to a clear backpack.

The district approved the clear backpack mandate at the recommendation of the School Safety Taskforce. The taskforce was formed after a student at Springfield Township High School shot and killed himself inside the school last year.


Read rest of the article here: http://cbs3.com/topstories/local_story_239234500.html
Cookie Jarvis is offline  
Old Sep 4, 07, 2:27 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Department of Homeland Sincerity
Programs: WN Platinum
Posts: 12,071
Wow, how about clear clothes also? Can't be too careful now can we?
UALOneKPlus is offline  
Old Sep 4, 07, 2:30 pm
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,441
Originally Posted by Cookie Jarvis View Post
I couldn't help but wonder as I read this article, if the use of "Kip Baggies" are edging there way into other places in our lives.



(CBS 3) LOWER GWYNEDD, Pa. High School students in the Ambler, Pennsylvania, headed back to school Tuesday facing new security measures limiting their choice of backpacks.

Effective Tuesday, all students in the Wissahickon School District are required to carry clear bags.

Students are currently permitted to bring mesh backpacks to school, but once inside the building, they must change to a clear backpack.

The district approved the clear backpack mandate at the recommendation of the School Safety Taskforce. The taskforce was formed after a student at Springfield Township High School shot and killed himself inside the school last year.


Read rest of the article here: http://cbs3.com/topstories/local_story_239234500.html
What an asinine response to a tragedy. Has anybody ever thought about the impact treating everyone as a suspect is going to have on future generations?
red456 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 07, 2:32 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: BOS
Posts: 3,526
Wissahickon School District
Lurker1999 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 07, 2:38 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Salish Sea
Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Posts: 8,977
Originally Posted by red456 View Post
Has anybody ever thought about the impact treating everyone as a suspect is going to have on future generations?
Nobody in power
Wally Bird is offline  
Old Sep 4, 07, 2:58 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere near BWI
Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,654
Yet another reason to keep homeschooling my kids.
DevilDog438 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 07, 3:14 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Sunshine State
Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Posts: 7,185
Just wondering

"Officials hope the clear backpacks will also prevent the theft of expensive devices brought into the school, such as iPods."

How does forcing students to hide their expensive items in clear bags LOWER the theft rate? Do other things work backwards in Ambler, too?
Flaflyer is offline  
Old Sep 4, 07, 4:44 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SNA
Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Posts: 25,229
Originally Posted by Flaflyer View Post
"Officials hope the clear backpacks will also prevent the theft of expensive devices brought into the school, such as iPods."

How does forcing students to hide their expensive items in clear bags LOWER the theft rate? Do other things work backwards in Ambler, too?
You have to wonder why no one stands up to this nonsense. Perhaps we now have a real use for "Just say no".
flyinbob is offline  
Old Sep 4, 07, 6:28 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 576
nuttin new

This has been going on for over 10 years. It was a requirement in NOLA during the mid 90's
tsadude1 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 07, 8:08 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CLT
Posts: 7,249
Back on topic:
Under the new guidelines, students will be allowed to carry a small bag for private items, instruments and athletic gear.
So general consensus is that you can still hide things as long as they are in your pad/tampon case or in your gym bag with your jock strap.

So do the girls carry around their TOM bag all the time, or do they announce their time of month to the whole school?
gj83 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 07, 8:26 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Posts: 2,635
So, they'll just hide contraband in the small bag then, right?
FCYTravis is offline  
Old Sep 4, 07, 11:34 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MIA
Programs: PC Plat/Amb
Posts: 1,152
Protection from lawsuits, ladies and gentlemen.

"We did what we could."
We Will Never Forget is offline  
Old Sep 5, 07, 12:37 am
  #13  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: PDX
Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Posts: 15,970
Much as I'd love to chip in on the homeschooling debate -- full disclosure: I'm a proponent -- this is not the forum for such discussions. Please have at them in OMNI to your heart's content.

Additionally, as this thread is not germane to safety and security w/r/t travel, I will close it.
----------
essxjay
TS/S moderator

Last edited by essxjay; Sep 5, 07 at 12:54 am
essxjay is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread