Wiki Posts
Search

'Plot Would Have Killed Thousands'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by NoClu
I found this report frustratingly lacking on details or serious reporting. I encourage all to provide feedback to ABC as well.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3453344

sorry they force you to watch a commercial first.
Feedback provided under my other pseudonym, lysking. Site's slow, so there was a double post.

It's no wonder this country is full of sheople when you have propaganda running as the news.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by asya999
Imagine if they had pulled off their plan to hypnotize the screeners, disable the FAMs with the Vulcan death grip and to take over the plane from the pilors with their Jedi mind tricks! Imagine that!?!?! Millions of people could die!!!..
Luckily, we're trained to defend against the Vulcan death grip.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA Global Services; UA/1K (since 1991); Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Remember when (I think) NBC was caught exploding a car? Well, why don't we file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to Sandia Labs and find out the formula they were using?

If, as I've read through these posts and other online articles, the quantities, etc weren't practical or realistic; and, everyone raises questions about the test, let's find out exactly what was done.

I'm sure they'll claim an exemption under national security exemptions to FOIA, but it might be worth a try.

I'm really getting sick of no one knowing the truth.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by DC-COFlyer
As one of my physics professors said, real science doesn't just ask what happens. It also asks how much? That second question, he said, would debunk a lot of junk science out there. In particular, his pet peeve was the "cell phones give you cancer" and he debunked why that was next to impossible by showing us "how much."
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:29 pm

Chertoff---you're a disgrace to my people (both Jews and Americans in general). As has been said in other posts, funny that only ONE set of "experts" has agreed with this. I know where I WON'T be getting my news from in the future.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 4:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Don't you all agree that they are using these scare tactics on us to justify the stupidity of the TSA and all the bans they force upon us?

Does the coversation go something like this:

Ok, men, we had better come up with something, so that we don't look like the total idiots we are. The American sheeple are so stupid that they will believe anything we tell them. WE are the government, afterall. Ya, that's it, we will scare the crap out of the American people, then we will look like heeero's.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 4:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
"Intent"/"Intend" vs. "capability"/"ability" in actual circumstances.

1 liter bag of 3.4 oz bottles or less is ok but 2 liter bag of 5 oz bottles are not ok -- idiotic restriction given persons operating in cooperation or even an individual going back and forth between the checkpoint even once (or even not) can still readily get around the restriction through a wee bit of applied wit and deceptively labelled bottles.

This "solution" is no solution for that which it is purported to be.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 7, 2007 at 5:01 am
Old Aug 7, 2007, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Chertoff would be funny if he weren't so pathetic.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
"Intent"/"Intend" vs. "capability"/"ability" in actual circumstances.

1 liter bag of 3.4 oz bottles or less is ok but 2 liter bag of 5 oz bottles are not ok -- idiotic restriction given persons operating in cooperation or even an individual going back and forth between the checkpoint even once (or even not) can still readily get around the restriction through a wee bit of applied wit and deceptively labelled bottles.

This "solution" is no solution for that which it is purported to be.
Meh.....if you're a terrorist, why worry about Freedom Baggies? Just put the liquid containers in your pocket which will never be checked (Cargo pants are a terrorists best friend) or ship them via the airlines cargo service. Trigger the explosive via a timer or a remote control.

Boom......done.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Fredd
Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff Offers Chilling Details About 2006 Airplane Plot and Current Terror Threats
If this threat is that real, that is all the more reason not to be entrusting our defense against it to a government monopoly.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NorcrossFlyer
Meh.....if you're a terrorist, why worry about Freedom Baggies? Just put the liquid containers in your pocket which will never be checked (Cargo pants are a terrorists best friend) or ship them via the airlines cargo service. Trigger the explosive via a timer or a remote control.

Boom......done.
... and Chertoff's mad-genius company has not only failed to implement an all commerical passenger jet cargo screening requirement they even were not strong proponents of all passenger jet cargo screening. Instead what Chertoff and company sold the American people on is the cargo-equivalent of the passenger "registered traveller" nonsense, namely the "known shipper" program.

Chertoff and intelligence don't seem to go hand in hand. On the other hand, Chertoff and ineffectiveness go hand in hand.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:07 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NorcrossFlyer
Trigger the explosive via a timer or a remote control.
Heck, use an altimeter trigger, and no need to worry about a timer or a remote working.

And Kip and Comrade Chertoff have us quaking in our shoes about carry-on liquids in ziplock baggies?
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This kind of molds into the other thread about the "sheople getting restless."

The increased amount of face time, press releases and "media leaks" by the DHS and TSA tell me they're starting to feel the pressure at HQ. It seems like they're having to counter more frustrated and doubtful people, hence these scare tactics and "interviews."
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LessO2
This kind of molds into the other thread about the "sheople getting restless."

The increased amount of face time, press releases and "media leaks" by the DHS and TSA tell me they're starting to feel the pressure at HQ. It seems like they're having to counter more frustrated and doubtful people, hence these scare tactics and "interviews."
Not surprising, yes. That and they are trying to hit Congress for wish list fulfillment while also engaged in political CYA.

The political CYA is a tacit admission that they know America is not as safe as the incumbent political leadership and Administration apologists have claimed as achievements for themselves in recent years.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:31 am

Programs: AA DL HH
Not to mention that EVERY independent expert in chemistry and explosives has called the plot completely untenable.
That statement is just as full of hyperbole as was Chertoff's interview (press release).

The truth is that the airline CEO's want Chertoff out front making press releases that help their bottom line. So they call Cheney, and Cheney calls Chertoff, ...and we get to laugh at him on national TV. It really is that simple and it really is a waste of oxygen.

OTOH, FT's waste oxygen debating how many aircraft/seat configurations = "thousands", and demanding to know how many milliliters of solution the terrorists intended to use and in what exact formulation. This administration is full of scoundrels and habitual liars, demanding the truth is a waste of time...you won't get it. I want my 5 minutes back.

Last edited by gofast; Aug 7, 2007 at 8:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.