Gsc?

Old Aug 6, 07, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Gsc?

Can someone tell me what a GSC is? I've searched around and can't figure it out.
Old Aug 6, 07, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Thanks! I was going to ask for more info on just what those folks can (or cannot do), as well as how/when to insist on one.
Old Aug 6, 07, 3:16 pm

Programs: TSA
The term GSC means Ground Security Coordinator. They are the persons that are representing the airlines in issues of security. They are the ones that tell you that you cannot fly. When TSA finds something wrong that warrants calling the GSC to make a determination about the issue, the TSA can make a recommendation to the GSC about whether or not the passenger should fly. This is according to federal law and also according to that law, the GSC is not allowed to over ride TSA recommendations.
Old Aug 6, 07, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The above "explanation" flat out contradicts itself six ways to Sunday. Anyone else?
Old Aug 6, 07, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eyecue View Post
The term GSC means Ground Security Coordinator. They are the persons that are representing the airlines in issues of security. They are the ones that tell you that you cannot fly. When TSA finds something wrong that warrants calling the GSC to make a determination about the issue, the TSA can make a recommendation to the GSC about whether or not the passenger should fly. This is according to federal law and also according to that law, the GSC is not allowed to over ride TSA recommendations.
From a hearing before a subcommittee of the Senate Committee on Appropriations, OVERSIGHT HEARING ON PASSENGER SCREENING AND AIRLINE AUTHORITY TO DENY BOARDING
June 24, 2004:

In a case where a passenger is removed as a result of a security incident, TSA officials cooperate with the air
carrier's ground security coordinator, law enforcement agencies and other Government agencies to determine whether or not the removed passenger does, in fact, pose a threat to civil aviation security. TSA's role in clearing a passenger consists of performing any necessary rescreening of the passenger and their belongings and a recheck of the passenger's name against Government watch lists if deemed necessary......

Clearly delineate the appropriate lines of communication and decision making in such incidents. For example: (i.)
require that one individual, such as the ground security
coordinator, take charge of coordinating the decision making process
; (ii.) require that airline security departments, as well as its central dispatchers, be consulted prior to any decision to refuse transport; (iii.) specify which airline employees should and may be informed of the situation and under what circumstances; (iv.) specify who finally determines whether to refuse transportation (e.g. dispatcher in conjunction with Captain).
Clearly, in these instances of a passenger possibly being removed from a flight, the GSC takes precedence over the TSA.

Last edited by doober; Aug 6, 07 at 3:59 pm
Old Aug 6, 07, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
The above "explanation" flat out contradicts itself six ways to Sunday. Anyone else?
Old Aug 6, 07, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The GSC cannot force the TSA to allow someone airside, IIRC, and the TSA cannot technically deny someone from flying (though by delaying them until they miss the flight, the TSA effectively does hold that power).

From what I understand, the bit about the GSC not being able to "overrule" the TSA only means they can't force the TSA to let someone through the checkpoint with unresolved security issues. I.e. if your bag alarms and you don't want to allow a hand search of it, the GSC isn't going to be able to force the TSA to let you through. However, in cases where the TSA starts pulling the, "Do you want to fly today?" routine, the GSC (and LEOs, sometimes) are able to help resolve things satisfactorily.
Old Aug 6, 07, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks - at last helpful responses! What exactly have you folks done - refused to budge, stating "I'd like to call the GSC over on this"?

Search this Thread