Books and xrays

Old Aug 4, 2007, 5:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Books and xrays

DO books send a false positive signal? After clearing immigration and customs in DTW, we redeposited our bags to be taken to our final destination. The We stayed on while the bags went through the X-ray machine as we did not want to unlock our bags and leave them unlocked. One of the suitcases was picked to be examined. This suitcase had books, Biology, Chemistry, Algebra in addition to the normal stuff. Each book had been double wrapped in plastic bags, in case water got into the suitcases. Other suitcases had boks too, this one probably had more than others. the TSA person undid the packaging of each book, examined as if it were something dangerous, shook her head and repackaged it.

DO books send a false alarm or was it a case of poor training of the operator?
Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Other suitcases had boks too, this one probably had more than others. the TSA person undid the packaging of each book, examined as if it were something dangerous, shook her head and repackaged it.

DO books send a false alarm or was it a case of poor training of the operator?
Given what the general level of literacy in the U.S. has become, she probably just was puzzled because she didn't recognize what they were.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've heard that books and chocolate are dense enough when stacked to require an extra look.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem is that x-ray can't tell the difference between a pile of books and a chunk of explosives.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 11:07 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The density of various items can trigger a search. I used to get it all the time when flying with big pieces of glass for my camera; the flourite glass, according to several TSOs, was tough to either determine what it was or what was around it and necessitated the hand check.

Oddly enough, that never happens any more. I tend to think that the x-ray operators are very distracted these days, trying to catch everyone's lip balm and water, and miss a lot of things they don't give attention to.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 1:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Timfid
Given what the general level of literacy in the U.S. has become, she probably just was puzzled because she didn't recognize what they were.
::smirk::
Old Aug 4, 2007, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I was coming back from London a few years ago and got pulled aside. The problem? I had gone crazy in the UK bookstores - 47 books worth. They told me that the books show up as on x-rays as very dense and the shape combined with the density makes them suspect.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy
I've heard that books and chocolate are dense enough when stacked to require an extra look.
This may explain why I had a book on chocolate confiscated recently.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 2:24 am

Me and Mrs Abbott were once carrying a large crystal vase in our carry on and the TSA wanted to see inside of it. They said the x-ray machine could not see through the glass.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 4:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by xyzzy
It is not unusual for a stack of books, magazines or newspapers of various paperstock and ink compositions to render the image screening ineffective.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ck#post2375860

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ck#post6831327

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ck#post5989042
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
[QUOTE=Yaatri;8172819]the TSA person undid the packaging of each book, examined as if it were something dangerous, shook her head and repackaged it. [QUOTE]

I am sure they were checking the titles of your books. Were you carrying a copy of "The Junior Jihadist Handbook of Homemade Explosives that Violate at Least Two Laws of Physics in Their Manufacture"? Write us from Gitmo. Or from Cuba after you use a bottle of water and a dash of lime juice to create a high explosive and escape.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:24 am

Programs: UA AA DL US HH
Originally Posted by fat_abbott
Me and Mrs Abbott were once carrying a large crystal vase in our carry on and the TSA wanted to see inside of it. They said the x-ray machine could not see through the glass.
Lead crystal!!

Next up on the TSA parade: "Please place all your Waterford and Baccarat in a separate gray bin."

I've had trouble taking along interesting reading material that gives the x-rays fits, too. Seems like once the paper gets to about 3" thick it becomes a real problem.

Last edited by RocketHokie; Aug 6, 2007 at 7:25 am Reason: addtional comment on topic
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RocketHokie
Lead crystal!!

Next up on the TSA parade: "Please place all your Waterford and Baccarat in a separate gray bin."

I've had trouble taking along interesting reading material that gives the x-rays fits, too. Seems like once the paper gets to about 3" thick it becomes a real problem.
Crystal-/glassware-related screening varies -- not surprisingly -- based on who is doing the screening. Those screeners (at locations) that encounter lots of glassware/crystalware seem to flag it down less often than other screeners (locations).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.