Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All electronics must be removed from bag.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2007, 4:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by VideoPaul
I THREW my shoes into the X-ray, look at the supervisor and said "Which is more difficult for you to come by, sir? Sex or an original thought?" The guy glared at me like he was gonna paste me in the jaw, I was already to ask him to step outside, and I got through after a retaliatory secondary.
*rotfl* I'd pay good money to see that re-run. ^
Old Aug 4, 2007, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by CPRich
Anyone even read the article?
Yes, and if you follow the thread, you'll see there appears to be some inconsistency about how the policy is being carried out.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 5:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Billiken
Eventually, we'll be flying with no carry-ons while clothed in only our underwear.
No underwear. You might be hiding a dangerous weapon
Old Aug 4, 2007, 6:55 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
ATL today... all electronics were made to be removed. Bloody ridiculous.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 7:06 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by mkt
ATL today... all electronics were made to be removed. Bloody ridiculous.
print this out (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/sop/index.shtm), highlight the section at the bottom of the page, show it to the screener and politely tell them that they are flat out wrong .
Old Aug 4, 2007, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
You won't.

How many DVD players/Playstations/XBOX's do you carry?

Anyone even read the article?
That was my response earlier but you need to read back up the thread some more and some of the other threads on this topic. Evidently what the article says and what the new rules are VS what is actually happening in the strip zone are very different things. They are making people unload their bags with that have items that are not on the list (digital cameras, phones, etc). Typical TSA interperating the rules as they see fit. I am actually ok with rules if they were the same every time (alright I'd still think they s*ck but I'd get used to it) but the random nature of it all just annoys the crap out of me.
We go through lots of different airports and if it is going to be different at every one I'm not going to unload all the gear until I'm specifically told to do so.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
print this out (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/sop/index.shtm), highlight the section at the bottom of the page, show it to the screener and politely tell them that they are flat out wrong .
goalie, have you had to do this at pbi yet??
Old Aug 4, 2007, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by Oxb
I have a big bag of misc transistors, ICs, resistors etc somewhere in the basement. Maybe I should take it with me next time. I need to clean out the basement anyway
LOL - Can you imagine what the TSA sites in SJC, PHX, AUS, SFO, SEA, etc. would look like if multiple bored travelers decided to follow your lead?
Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Wilbur
LOL - Can you imagine what the TSA sites in SJC, PHX, AUS, SFO, SEA, etc. would look like if multiple bored travelers decided to follow your lead?
I liked Spiff's suggestion last year of grass clippings, rocks, and yard waste.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Diamond
<i>Effective August 4, 2007, full-size video game consoles (for example Playstation, X-box, or Nintendo) and DVD players must be removed from their carrying cases and submitted separately for x-ray screening. Laptop computers and video cameras that use cassettes have long been subject to this policy.

Small electronic items, such as cell phones, MP3 players, iPods and portable video game systems do not have to be removed from their carrying cases.
</i>

Hmm. No mention of data projectors (which are mostly empty space). This will be fun.

Cromely.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
I've got it! Moles have been planted inside the TSA by UPS and Fed-x. They are going to make it so ?#@%* difficult for us to carry-on that we all start shiping our luggage to our destination to avoid the hassel.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Superguy
I liked Spiff's suggestion last year of grass clippings, rocks, and yard waste.
No! That was for checked (nusiance) baggage, meant to be left unclaimed.

Better idea for this round of evil nonsense: packs of used batteries (taped together with bright electrical tape), trashed walkmans and discmans with the odd wire hanging out, broken remotes, dead satellite phones (the brick style), every stinkin' obsolete power cord and random computer cable you've got lying around ... etc. etc. etc.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
At ORD yesterday morning (at 4:30 a.m!), they had the new rules right. No hassles over cellphones, PDAs or noise-reduction headphones, all three of which I had in my one carry-on bag. They were making correct announcements about the new changes involving DVD players and game consoles.

Bruce
Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:22 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
You won't.
I don't find your reassurance comforting, considering the data to the contrary beginning to roll in.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:56 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by bdschobel
At ORD yesterday morning (at 4:30 a.m!), they had the new rules right. No hassles over cellphones, PDAs or noise-reduction headphones, all three of which I had in my one carry-on bag. They were making correct announcements about the new changes involving DVD players and game consoles.

Bruce
That's one airport out of how many?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.