Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All electronics must be removed from bag.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I understand that, but PhylingRPh appeared to be responding to the article itself.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:11 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
EWR, Terminal A, 8/9/07, 1 PM. TSA Barker says "All electronics must come out of the bags."

Actually, not much of a barker. Just a nice older lady, quieter than most barkers, and still waiting for the latest memo.
Maybe I'm jsut being immature here, but why not take out your laptop and MP3 player and send the rest throuh. If they want to fiddle-screwarond with everything else, let them! Work smarter, not harder...

--PP
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Sea - All Electronics

On the rental car shuttle bus last night at SEA - they had small posters up on "official" looking TSA stock saying that all electronics must be out for inspection.

I'm leaving on Friday. Hope I am wrong.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:16 pm
Suspended

"Maybe I'm jsut being immature here, but why not take out your laptop and MP3 player and send the rest throuh. If they want to fiddle-screwarond with everything else, let them! Work smarter, not harder..."

I've taken game consoles through security before and always wondered why nobody asked to have them taken out given that they can easily be modified to run linux. Most anything with a microprocessor can be considered a computer.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by thegeneral
I've taken game consoles through security before and always wondered why nobody asked to have them taken out given that they can easily be modified to run linux. Most anything with a microprocessor can be considered a computer.
USG didn't want Saddam getting his hands on PS2's because of other purposes they could be used for.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by MikeFly
On the rental car shuttle bus last night at SEA - they had small posters up on "official" looking TSA stock saying that all electronics must be out for inspection.

It was SUPPOSED to be all electronics right until the very last minute. I suspect that poster you saw was a case of Premature Information. The Seattle media highlighted the fact that iPods n cell phones n such r kewl.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA Platinum
unless you're bringing your full sized video game consoles or portable dvd player it shouldn't change your trip through security at all.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by JimJ321
unless you're bringing your full sized video game consoles or portable dvd player it shouldn't change your trip through security at all.
Yeah, in theory. Reality paints a different picture.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFly

Clearly it's not SOP. If you get a pissy TSAer, be sure to ask for the name of the FSD there. I have seen that gets their attention.

But make sure you have cleared the checkpoint, where they won't tag you with a retaliatory secondary.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
I must admit I haven't read all 11 pages of this thread; I only read the first 2, so sorry if this post turns out to be impertinent.

I've separated out my carry-on electronics in a gallon-sized ziploc freezer bag for well over a year now. The result is that I haven't had to endure a single secondary bag search since.

Interestingly, I've had 2 instances where my convenient bag of electronics has been an issue at the checkpoint:

- In one case, the screener specifically told me to put my bag of electronics BACK into my carry-on for screening...haven't quite figured that one out

- In another case a screener barked to a co-worker that "this passenger needs to re-pack his items into a quart-sized baggie"...until I told him to take a closer look at the bag, that it contains electronics, not liquids, and he backed off

Other than those instances, though, it has worked well for me.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
OKC this morning they pulled one of the laptop bags and removed the 3 hard drives - none too gently I might add. My husband tried to take them out and the TSO said she had to do it and grabbed them out of the bag and dropped them in the bin like a pair of old shoes. My husband suggested that the work contained on those drives was worth a lot more than the items themselves. The TSO then chastised us for not removing "all large electronic items" like we are supposed to. Don't know how one is supposed to know this with no signs and no "barkers". We suggested she read the TSA webpage which lists the items that were included in the actual 'update' which does not include hard drives she informed us that SHE knew the rules and WE did not. Then she took the bag to another location while she continued pawing through it. I would think there should be some type of requirement that they keep the bag in your view at all times but evidently that is not the case. Hopefully all works when we get to our destination but really what recourse would you have if the TSO damaged one? We do have backups of everything but really having things manhandled like that is really unnerving. Funny thing is the other laptop bag has a GPS, 2 SLR cameras w/ extra lenses, a video camera (CD), and all the wires, chargers & extra batteries for all of the above - they didn't even blink at that one.
Also at the same checkpoint the older gentleman next to us had his bag opened and a small bottle of cologne and travel size toothpaste removed. The TSO did not give him the option of bagging it but instead confiscated it immediately. He was obviously not a FFer and had no clue about the baggie BS. I don't recall hearing barkers or seeing 311 signs up anywhere (or baggies available) but we were so busy doing our own strip show I may have missed it.
So bottom line is if flying through OKC be prepared for the full shakedown.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bzbdewd
...I would think there should be some type of requirement that they keep the bag in your view at all times but evidently that is not the case....
Of course, there is such a rule. They just chose to ignore it.

Bruce
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, MileagePlus
I got the "all electronics out" spiel on monday at DFW. Went out for a smoke, came back in and next thing you know... and oh boy do i carry electronics with me... 2 PDA phones, 1 laptop, 1 digital camera, 1 dc2ac adapter for AA powerports, 2 BT headsets, 1 mono 1 stereo, 1 set of wired headphones, USB cables, chargers for all my crap as well. And everything fits very nicely (though some initial arranging needs to be done) in my laptop bag. Yea, no bulges whatsoever
But at DFW I had to take everything out.
Being that I fly AA exclusively, I'm at DFW quite a lot. I hope this was an one off case...
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:51 pm

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
Has anyone written to the TSA to ask for a written confirmation of exactly what the policy is?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, MileagePlus
Well a quick look at TSA.gov shows this:

What Needs to be Screened Separately
Laptops
Full-size video game consoles
Full-size DVD players
Video cameras that use video cassettes
CPAP breathing machines

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/sop/index.shtm towards end of page

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.